Does anyone know what was the fretboard radius of the bolt-on version of ESP M-II Standard from 2003-2010 and what was the difference in the neck between it and the neck-though-body version? The neck of the bolt-on version is labelled "Extra Thin Flat" and the neck-though-body version as "Extra Thin U" (for example here: http://www.espguitars.com/downloads/96-esp-2010-catalog/download )

Is there a difference in the neck thickness, flatness of the back of the neck, flatness of the radius?
Last edited by andriusd at Nov 15, 2014,
Your best bet is probably to email ESP (assuming they have an email address, I've never had to contact them) or to see if there's an ESP forum online (again, never needed to see if there is one ).

I'm not saying you definitely won't get an answer here, but it'll be pretty lucky if you do (and your two threads have no answers yet ).

Sorry I couldn't help more.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Your best bet is probably to email ESP (assuming they have an email address, I've never had to contact them) or to see if there's an ESP forum online (again, never needed to see if there is one ).

I'm not saying you definitely won't get an answer here, but it'll be pretty lucky if you do (and your two threads have no answers yet ).

Sorry I couldn't help more.

I actually have emailed them about other guitars in the past and I have gotten some specs. I'll try to email them regarding these guitars, but I have a feeling they won't be as specific with "outdated" oldies that they no longer sell.

It's so confusing. I found one old topic somewhere which leads to believe that one point M-IIs had pretty thick necks.

This is so weird there aren't more replies and more specific info on the internet as I thought these used to be pretty popular guitars. At least among Metallica fans
Yeah. I dunno. I suppose you might as well email, you have nothing to lose. Then if they don't answer, you can start searching online...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Yeah. I dunno. I suppose you might as well email, you have nothing to lose. Then if they don't answer, you can start searching online...

Online searches are over . If they don't reply with the info, I'll just have to get to the USA, try the NTB I bought and see if I could go with a thinner one. The problem is, eBay is not abundant with M-IIs and while there is one currently listed, it might be gone until I am able to make a decision (I prefer to take the guitar with me on a plane, not to have it shipped and pay taxes on something I shouldn't be taxes in the first place).

Could you please tell me, is there any other place - other than eBay - where I could try looking for used M-IIs?
I'm not too well up on used gear. There are places like gumtree and reverb, but I have no idea how safe they are as I've never used them (not that Ebay is totally safe either). So look into them at your own risk, kind of thing.

Also a lot of guitar shops stock second-hand gear, and might have it on their online stores.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by andriusd
Does anyone know what was the fretboard radius of the bolt-on version of ESP M-II Standard from 2003-2010 and what was the difference in the neck between it and the neck-though-body version? The neck of the bolt-on version is labelled "Extra Thin Flat" and the neck-though-body version as "Extra Thin U" (for example here: http://www.espguitars.com/downloads/96-esp-2010-catalog/download )

Is there a difference in the neck thickness, flatness of the back of the neck, flatness of the radius?

fretboard radius has nothing to do with neck thickness but rather how rounded the fretboard itself is. the higher the number the flatter the board. if you look at say an old (pre 80s ) fender fretboard you can see that it is kinda rounded with the middle being a bit higher than the edges. this is a 7.5" radius great for making open chords not so great for playing leads with lots of bends. I'd imagine the ESP would have at least a 12" radius or better. most metal/shred style guitars have at least that radius and often even flatter (say 14-16") as this is better for lightning leads. as mentioned though this has nothing to do with neck thickness or shape. from what you're saying the bolt on might be better for you. U shaped necks tend to be a bit thicker.
Quote by monwobobbo
fretboard radius has nothing to do with neck thickness but rather how rounded the fretboard itself is. the higher the number the flatter the board. if you look at say an old (pre 80s ) fender fretboard you can see that it is kinda rounded with the middle being a bit higher than the edges. this is a 7.5" radius great for making open chords not so great for playing leads with lots of bends. I'd imagine the ESP would have at least a 12" radius or better. most metal/shred style guitars have at least that radius and often even flatter (say 14-16") as this is better for lightning leads. as mentioned though this has nothing to do with neck thickness or shape. from what you're saying the bolt on might be better for you. U shaped necks tend to be a bit thicker.

Yeah, I know about fretboard radius, and what I meant was that I don't think a want a very flat 16" radius. Ideally, I want a 12" radius (which M-II is supposed to be, at least NTB version).

My problem with the description of the bolt-on version is that it has "flat" in it - I don't dig Ibanez neck/fretboard flatness and I'm afraid the bolt-on M-II might be close to it.
i thought the "flat" referred to the shape of the back of the neck (i.e. the neck profile) in ESPs- but I could well be wrong, I'm no ESP expert. I only have a passing (if even) familiarity with them.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm failrly knowledgeable about ESP, and this is actually the first I've seen of the Extra Thin Flat profile. I imagine that it must be similar to an Ibanez Wizard II. The regular Extra Thin U is not flat. It's similar to a Wizard II in thickness, very slightly thicker maybe, but it's not a hard D shape, it does have a round curve to it.

I haven't played an M-II to the extent of my knowledge, but I do remember playing an M-I in Hollywood a while back, and it being one of the best playing guitars I've ever played. Very fast, and I don't like saying that phrase at all.

Look into the current Ibanez Wizard III. They took out the hard Wizard D that the II had, and made it more round like the Extra Thin U is. I have that profile on my S420, and I think it's fantastic.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Look into the current Ibanez Wizard III. They took out the hard Wizard D that the II had, and made it more round like the Extra Thin U is. I have that profile on my S420, and I think it's fantastic.

Thanks for your reply! Does any higher end Ibanez RG have that Wizard III neck? And, by the way, do you know which Wizard version do current Prestige series Ibanezes have?
it normally lists the neck profiles on the ibanez website
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
it normally lists the neck profiles on the ibanez website

Right, RG Prestige is labelled as Super Wizard. I thought there must be a number (I, II or III), but I guess not.

By the way, thank you for your replies too, Dave. You seem to be really active on this forum
No worries

And yeah I can't keep head nor tail of the Ibanez necks, they change the darn things so often. I end up just having to go to the Ibanez site to check them too.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
For what it's worth I owned an ESP M-ii 09 maple fretboard with the extra thin profile. It wasn't Ibanez wizard thin (prestige series) but it was definitely comfortable and thin. As far as I know only the maple fretboard bolt on models have this profile.
Quote by Dound
For what it's worth I owned an ESP M-ii 09 maple fretboard with the extra thin profile. It wasn't Ibanez wizard thin (prestige series) but it was definitely comfortable and thin. As far as I know only the maple fretboard bolt on models have this profile.

Do you mean that rosewood bolt-on might have a different profile?
Is there an LTD model that features exactly the same neck profile as a bolt-on M-II? Maybe M-1000?
LTD M models have painted necks, they won't feel the same by that alone, except the 330 line and below, but their quality is questionable and their electronics aren't great and they have Floyd Rose Specials. They all have the rounded Xtra Thin U, not the Flat.

I don't believe there is an Ibanez Prestige neck shape that is rounded like the Wizard III is. But for what it's worth the ZR and the Edge Zero II aren't bad bridges, which is the main objective weak point of non Prestige Ibanezes.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I got the ntb m-ii and it kills. its an '09 model. totally recommend it.
Quote by andriusd
Do you mean that rosewood bolt-on might have a different profile?

Never seen a rosewood bolt on one. But I've only seen maple ones with extra slim profiles. Nothing else.