Any recommendations.

I quite like the cut out Italian style. Will be using it for practising at home.
Yamaha FGX700SC. It's an electric acoustic with cutout that retails for around $300. Yamaha is excellent quality for the price.
the yamaha FG700 is the guitar i recommend at this price point. you're not going to find a decent acoustic electric, much less a solid top guitar with a cutaway, at this price except maybe if you go used and get lucky.
Quote by patticake
the yamaha FG700 is the guitar i recommend at this price point. you're not going to find a decent acoustic electric, much less a solid top guitar with a cutaway, at this price except maybe if you go used and get lucky.

Thanks. Does it play well?
just like almost any guitar, it may need a setup to play its best, but yes - it sounds good, is well made, plays well.
Quote by patticake
just like almost any guitar, it may need a setup to play its best, but yes - it sounds good, is well made, plays well.

Any other suggestions if the budget was negotiable?
The Yamaha is a nice one at that price. Also a used Seagull if you can find one. Excellent guitar on a budget.
The Yamaha ishttp:// a nice one at that price.
Last edited by fishmicon at Nov 24, 2014,
I went to test some models out today and quite liked the Tanglewood TSF CE. I tried the Yamaha 310 (the only Yamaha they had) and it wasn't good for me. May take the plunge with the Tanglewood.
Another route would be to buy whatever guitar suits you and consider a soundhole pick-up. The selection of soundhole pick-ups is staggering, and may require a new discussion/thread. For home practice there are certainly many choices. If you have a very particular sound your after, somebody here would likely have some advice. I bought a Dean Markely single coil for about $50 bucks and love it.
Quote by u6s68
I went to test some models out today and quite liked the Tanglewood TSF CE. I tried the Yamaha 310 (the only Yamaha they had) and it wasn't good for me. May take the plunge with the Tanglewood.

Tanglewood guitars are very good. I'd certainly buy one if I needed another guitar.