I've got:
Blackstar HT-5R: pre 2011, no Reverb or Tone knobs, does have ISF and effects loop
2007 Mexican strat, chrome pickguard, hot vintage pick-ups
Pedas:
Guv'nor 2 +
J. Rockett Archer
Joe Bonamassa Fuzz Face
Joe Bonamassa Wah
EHX Deluxe Memory Man
EVH Phaser
EVH Flanger
Digitech JamMan
Lovepedal COT 50 Angus mod
Line 6 Verbzilla

I'm thinking of picking up a Soul Food and Big Muff Pi, but I've got so many OD/Fuzz already. I think here is a big difference between a Fuzz face and Big Muff. The Guv'nor, COT, and JBFF are not in my chain right now. I'd also like to use the Archer to boost a Soul Food or vise versa.

How do I arrange all this stuff and/or how can I condense without missing out on distinct tones?
Quote by nightraven
Generally once you spent that much money on effects pedals you would have worked out what kind of order you like to set them up in. If not then try putting your fuzz pedals before the overdrive pedals and your swirly and delay pedals after them in that order.

Right now I've got Wah>Fuzz>overdrive>Looper
and in the Effects Loop: Phaser>Flanger>Memoryman>Verbzilla

I guess what I'm wondering is if there is a better way to do it. How can I get a great clean tone? My HT-5 has a great, heavy gain, but its clean channel isn't... clear? It doesn't really cut through.
Quote by takingiteasy
no Reverb or Tone knobs
?? The EQ dials are what most would consider "tone" knobs. As said above, you'll need to find your best clean tone with these and then tinker with your pedals to get your dirt tone on top of that.

Quote by takingiteasy
How can I get a great clean tone? My HT-5 has a great, heavy gain, but its clean channel isn't... clear? It doesn't really cut through.
Seeing as you have a big board already, I'll go ahead and suggest you experiment with Chorus and/or Compression.
"If you make an effort to not put the pedals in the order you're meant to, then you'll end up with something new sounding. We don't have any things that we got from another planet or anything, it's the same things everyone else has used." "People have a distortion pedal and then a reverb pedal. A reverb is meant to make it sound like it's in a cathedral or something. If you put it the other way around, it won't sound like a guitar being played in a church, it'll sound like a church being stuffed inside a shoebox and then exploded. You can do different things just by treating things differently." - Kevin Parker

Here is a cool quote from tame impala's guitar player
Last edited by luvs2gro at Nov 16, 2014,
Quote by luvs2gro
Here is a cool quote from tame impala's guitar player

I don't know if my brain can handle changing the order now between the amp settings and all the settings on the pedals and guitar... I can get obsessive about things, I'd explode. I'll try it but I'd have to clear out a few days.

Quote by Danustar
?? The EQ dials are what most would consider "tone" knobs. As said above, you'll need to find your best clean tone with these and then tinker with your pedals to get your dirt tone on top of that.

Seeing as you have a big board already, I'll go ahead and suggest you experiment with Chorus and/or Compression.

Newer HT models have a "Tone" knob along with Treble, Mid, Bass and ISF. To your point, I like to use the Memoryman's chorus with the Archer (gain way down) boost, that's the best clean setting I've found. Boost >vibrato gets a great jazz/blues clean tone too. Still, it lacks something. I'll look into the compression, thanks!

Quote by nightraven
what are you trying to cut through? I never played a HT-5 but if you're scooping the mids to get that phAt rock/metal sound that's one way to disappear in the mix when you switch to the clean channel. Try turn up the mids on your amp's EQ to give your clean tone more presence and sculpt the distorted sound with the tone controls on your effects pedals. Your effects order is fine although you might want to put your looper in the effects loop as well so you can play rock guitar alongside clean samples.

The HT I have is one of the first. With the volume way down (7o'clock) it sounds like you're playing through some 80's walkman headphones, muffled, no depth. After 9-10 o'clock it comes though nicely but still sounds kinda plastic, still lacking a bit of depth, compared to a Fender and lacks a few teeth of a Marshall's bite. I'll play with the Mids some more, and move that looper. Thanks!
fuzz face will probably have to go first

then wah

if you want the EVH thing, put the phaser and flanger next

then the dirt pedals. i normally go in order of lower to higher gain, but i dunno if that's necessary.

then the reverb at the end

jamman probably at the end too. if the ht5 has a loop maybe put it in there. watch out if you recorded loops in front because the level might be different- if you move the looper you might have to record your loops again (don't quote me on that).
JB wah > EVH phaser > COT > distortion & fuzz > Amp input
effects loop send > EVH flanger > EHX memory man > verbzilla > jamman > effects loop return

If your amp has a nice distortion, you definitely do not need all those dirt boxes just a couple should be enough. i mean its nice to have the options, but during a performance you may not want to change to so many different distorted sounds.

also you may opt to place the phaser in the effects loop just before the flanger. but the MXR sounds better before the overdrive in my opinion as t has a perceived volume loss if it is placed in the effects loop(i think it was designed to be placed before the amp). you may want to place the flanger after the phaser but i dont particularly like that option. also you may place the wah after the distortion but I believe that you already figured out you prefer wah before (so do i).

i would add a tuner such as a boss chromatic tuner, or a tc electronics politune. i have a korg pitchblack poly and its a nice piece of equipment to have on stage. place it between the guitar and the wah pedal
Last edited by Gab_Azz at Nov 21, 2014,