My brother told me if i want his old ibanez gio to learn on, I can have it. He got it when he was younger and never learned to play it. I know it at least needs to new strings. Should I keep this guitar and have it looked at and restrung or get a new one to learn on? I'm mostly interested in learning to play metal. Black friday is right around the corner..
They're not very good but if the action is ok it would be ok to learn on. Don't expect it to sound very good though and it isn't worth spending money on to replace the pickups. They're pretty notorious for not staying in tune. Really, they're just not very good.
Give us a budget and what style of music you want to learn and we'll give you some recomendations. You're obviously in the States judging by the Black Friday reference, no?
That's what I was thinking. I don't want to spend a bunch making it playable if I could spend around the same and get a better guitar.
I was thinking maybe around $500 for a limit if that's enough. I would still have to get an amp to go with it. I'd be interested in playing stoner, doom metal and maybe some thrash.
I always recommend to people to start out with a piece of crap guitar; first off, it saves you money in case you dont follow through with learning or you get too busy to play or whatever. Secondly, as the person above said, it gives you more of an opportunity to learn your way around the instrument structurally. You realize how each part works, how to identify problems per part, and learn what you can do to improve it. Also, it eventually gives you knowledge and reason to go out and buy a better instrument, since you will understand which literal aspects that make one instrument "better" than the other. I personally dont buy it when people who are just starting out say "well, if i buy a better more expensive instrument it will motivate me to play more". I think the motivation is there, or it isnt. And hopefully in your case, it is there. Because once you get over that initial hump, guitar is a lot of fun.
Quote by nightraven
if you're just starting out then the Ibanez Gio will do you just fine

find a friend to help you restring and play with its action and intonation - that's part of the learning as well )

One of the paradoxes of cheap beginner "rescue" guitars is that they are a lot more useful to someone with experience in basic setup and electronics than they are to a complete new chum. (My current "go to" is a $50 Peavey Raptor from the local hock shop. It works just fine after a little TLC.) So while I know nothing about that particular model, I would certainly chance it if some help could be had as you suggest.
Take the GIO *and* hunt down a nice new one.

Make all your setup mistakes on the GIO <G>.
I have a GAX 70 Gio and it's one of my most playable guitars. I would definitely recommend it as a first starter with the caveats already mentioned (not great tone, tuning stability isn't that great). I'll also add one more - it neck dives badly because of the light body. I fixed it by double-bagging some lead shot in Ziploc bags and stuffing them into the electronics cavity. I agree completely that it's good to start with whatever you have (as long as its playable), then buy something new once you have a better idea of what you like. Honestly, when I was struggling to change from D to A to E, the quality of the pickups was not the biggest thing holding me back. :-)
1: Get a chromatic tuner (Korg CA-40 should be fine, I have the CA-30, cheap and works well).
2: If the guitar has a whammy bar, block it off so it doesn't move (saves you a large tuning hassle)
3: get a good, used amp (or holiday deal). If you don't like playing, you can probably sell it for close to what you paid.
Quote by Watterboy
I personally dont buy it when people who are just starting out say "well, if i buy a better more expensive instrument it will motivate me to play more". I think the motivation is there, or it isnt. And hopefully in your case, it is there. Because once you get over that initial hump, guitar is a lot of fun.

I agree 100%. I bought one of these Ibanez Gio guitars about 10 years ago for my son who never learned to play it. It is definately a very playable starter guitar. It has a nice neck with good action and decent sound which is all you need. If you don't end up learning how to play on that guitar it won't be because you had a piece of junk. It's a nice plus starter guitar. I would have loved it when I started playing. My first two guitars were garbage but my desire to play overcame that situation.
you are fine, just restring it and set it up. search youtube and you should find everything you need. justinguitar usually has some good stuff