my malekko 616 seems to have died one me. won't turn on. multiple power suplies stright in to the input of multiple amps, and i have a battery in it now and it still isn't working. the switch was being weird on a rare occasion over the last three months.

thoughts? it won't light up or anything.

i did post this in the pedalboard thread twom but they haven't seen action in two or three days so i figured i would be seen to the masses.

also i should mention that one adapters was 12volts (it says 9v on it WTF)

i also should mention that i have tried multiple cables, andi have checked the battery and both power supplies with a meter.
Could be some kind of protection circuit needs replacing.
In most pedals, this just consists of a diode.
And was that 12 volts what you measured?
Its common for some power supplies to read higher than their rating when not under a load.

This thread may be relevant to you :
http://freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9010&p=163601&hilit=malekko+616#p163601

4th post down, shows what appears to be part of the power protection circuit that got fried (the part labeled Q10).
Although in that case, someone put AC voltage into it.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Nov 16, 2014,
Quote by CodeMonk
Its common for some power supplies to read higher than their rating when not under a load.

yea it was, oddly the adapter it has been plugged into for the last six months no power change. i did measure 12v. its

is there any way i can fix it? i can solder but those parts as so tiny and board mounted.

however, i have had switching issues (not sure i caught it above) and somtimes i would need to hit it twice. so maybe that just died.

is there any way to test the switch with a meter?
Quote by trashedlostfdup
yea it was, oddly the adapter it has been plugged into for the last six months no power change. i did measure 12v. its

is there any way i can fix it? i can solder but those parts as so tiny and board mounted.

however, i have had switching issues (not sure i caught it above) and somtimes i would need to hit it twice. so maybe that just died.

is there any way to test the switch with a meter?

You can check continuity of the switch with a meter easily.
And being that you have had problems with the switch before, its probably the most likely culprit.
Quote by CodeMonk

This thread may be relevant to you :
http://freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9010&p=163601&hilit=malekko+616#p163601

4th post down, shows what appears to be part of the power protection circuit that got fried (the part labeled Q10).
Although in that case, someone put AC voltage into it.

interesting i see it, but i don't understand how it could fail from a diode, but you have much more experience than me.

it definitely didn't get AC voltage, and i would definitely see that killing a diode.

________

also for mention it did flash for a minute but made no delay and it stopped.

thank you very much.
Quote by CodeMonk
You can check continuity of the switch with a meter easily.
And being that you have had problems with the switch before, its probably the most likely culprit.

i think it is possible it could be the switch, it has 9 connections, where would i test with the meter?

sorry, i am a novice with diagnosing pedals (i am slowly getting more proficient amps now lol)

i appreciate the help
In many circuits, a diode in that place acts like a fuse.
It cheaper and easier the replace a part that costs $0.02 than multiple parts costing much more.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i think it is possible it could be the switch, it has 9 connections, where would i test with the meter?

sorry, i am a novice with diagnosing pedals (i am slowly getting more proficient amps now lol)

i appreciate the help

Gimme a minute to draw something up
Quote by CodeMonk
In many circuits, a diode in that place acts like a fuse.
It cheaper and easier the replace a part that costs $0.02 than multiple parts costing much more.

ok. where would i get that diode from?

do you think i have a warranty claim? failure of parts?
Quote by CodeMonk
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/FDC634P/FDC634PTR-ND/965285

Its a MOSFET transistor basically. it acts as a switch.
Warranty?
I dunno contact Malekko

if i tested the switch right, i placed on probe on one of the three of the outer lugs from the outside to inner one at a time. either side one to one showed continuity with the switch.

so its probably a bad switch? i don't see anything fried or odd about anywhere in the pedal.

i already contacted malekko for warranty.

thanks, if i did it wrong let me know.

Quote by CodeMonk

Lug 2 should have continuity with either lug 1 or lug 3.
Lug 5 should have continuity with either lug 4 or lug 6.
Lug 8 should have continuity with either lug 7 or lug 9.

If lug 2 has continuity with lug 1, then lug 5 should have continuity with lug 4, and lug 8 should have continuity with lug 7.

If lug 2 has continuity with lug 3, then lug 5 should have continuity with lug 6, and lug 8 should have continuity with lug 9.

All the middle lugs (in black letters), should connect with the green side OR the Red side.

If any of those sentences are false, the switch is bad.

With the history of the switch, it would be best to check it a few times.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Nov 16, 2014,