So something just hit me. There are SO many metal riffs and solos that are built on the technique known as "bariolage", which was a musical composing technique heavily used in baroque-style music. Just think of how many songs that have riffs and stuff built off of it.
Some better known ones: "# of the Beast", "Holy Diver", "Everything from Metallica's early years", ect.
I guess it is used to serve as a pedal tone in order to really cement the overall key of the song. So just think, metal wouldn't be what it is without this overused technique!
Well for me, the Baroque era presents itself as a couple of centuries of almost never ending triplets and phrase ending trills. Take Bach's, "Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring", trip-o-let, trip-o-let, trip-o-let, et cetera, et al. Then there's Vivaldi's "Four Season's, lotsa trills and trips in that too.

In any case, Bach's organ masterworks don't run on like that, and are really what one might call, "heavy metal pipe organ".

Probably all of the major pipe organs of the period were located in cathedrals. So, you're apt to find much faith based composition during the period, with song writers of the era, doubling as the congregation's organist on Sunday

As you're probably aware, organ consoles have row of pedals for the bass.

As you're also likely aware, most to all church chants are modal in nature, which tend to have sustained pedal drones.

Bach even calls one of his organ Toccatas, "Toccata in D Minor, Dorian". (Not the real famous one in D minor).

It's hard not to imagine that Baroque organists, playing in church, with a simple row of pedals to harness the enormous power of bass pipes up to 64' long, wouldn't lean on them for all they're worth, in the pursuit of, "making a joyful noise unto the lord."

The lowest note that a pipe organ can sound (with a true pipe) is C-1 (or CCCCC), which is 8 Hz, not visible on this chart. However, if acoustic combination (a note and its fifth) counts, the lowest note is C-2 (CCCCCC), which is 4 Hz.

This chart uses standard numberings for octaves where middle C corresponds to C4. In the MIDI language middle C is simply referred to as 'Middle C', which is MIDI note number 60.
@Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Range_%28music%29 Of course, I doubt very many humans can hear down to 4Hz.

Anyway, if you're interested in rip-off Baroque stylings, give, The Move, "Shazam" a listen. In "Cherry Blossom Clinic Revisited", they manage to work in, "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring", "Tea", from, "The Nutcracker" (which isn't from the baroque period), and a few other classical tidbits in for good measure.

Also there's, "Beautiful Daughter", a "hey, that reminds me a heck of a lot of Eleanor Rigby" tune.

The 12 string guitar, (which was very much in style during the 60's & 70's), features prominently throughout the album, and recalls the plectrum keyboards of the baroque period, such as the harpsichord.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Nov 16, 2014,
dat melody at 1:10^

and of course there are bands like Sunn O))) which dropped it and stuck to the lower tone.
Music is math is to Eastwinn as metal is Bach is to me.

Also unison bariolage is cooler than what you think bariolage is.

hmu
Quote by Fallenoath
Bachallica!......
Bachallica? That's a triangular shaped Russian stringed folk instrument, er isn't it...?
So what are some good metal songs that don't really rely on pedal tones as much as most?
Quote by Captaincranky

In any case, Bach's organ masterworks don't run on like that, and are really what one might call, "heavy metal pipe organ".

I don't think anyone has ever called them that
The late Jack Bruce once said that his favourite bassist was Bach, referring to his counterpoint basslines, but he was probably just being pretentious.
Quote by slayer1979
So what are some good metal songs that don't really rely on pedal tones as much as most?

Pretty much all the good bands. Falkenbach, Skepticism, Bolt Thrower, Suffocation, Candlemass, Demilich, Graveland, Thergothon, Sleep, DRI, Bathory, Emperor, Acid Bath, Blotted Science, etc. Actually, what bands are you even listening to that make use of what you're thinking of that often? Like just Killswitch Engage or something?
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
...[ ]....Also unison bariolage is cooler than what you think bariolage is.

hmu
I"m learnin' valuable stuff as I go here... Up until now, I thought "bario" had two "rr's". And the "Barrio Lodge", was a ghetto motel that rented rooms by the hour....
For those of you who are fans of Bach, or Asian women, or shredding on the violin with a full orchestra backing, or perhaps even a bit of bariolage might be in there, here's something for everybody.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hg8Fa_EUQqY

Look for the full recorded version of this, it's pretty outrageous!
Last edited by Captaincranky at Nov 20, 2014,
Quote by theogonia777
Pretty much all the good bands. Falkenbach, Skepticism, Bolt Thrower, Suffocation, Candlemass, Demilich, Graveland, Thergothon, Sleep, DRI, Bathory, Emperor, Acid Bath, Blotted Science, etc. Actually, what bands are you even listening to that make use of what you're thinking of that often? Like just Killswitch Engage or something?

Yeah, this. Pretty sure I can give the guy 100 bands in every form of extreme metal that doesn't rely on pedals, so he's probably just talking about metalcore or djent or somethin.
Quote by Captaincranky
For those of you who are fans of Bach, or Asian women, or shredding on the violin with a full orchestra backing, or perhaps even a bit of bariolage might be in there, here's something for everybody.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hg8Fa_EUQqY

Look for the full recorded version of this, it's pretty outrageous!

Well at least she has something to fall back on since the skiing thing didn't work out...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Well at least she has something to fall back on since the skiing thing didn't work out...

I'd give her something to fall back on.
keep it classy
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Vanessa Mae always sounds to me like she's trying to walk down a flight of stairs while playing.

Quote by Declan87
The late Jack Bruce once said that his favourite bassist was Bach, referring to his counterpoint basslines, but he was probably just being pretentious.

Especially considering that Beethoven's bass parts are where it's at. Always the most fun thing to perform on the program.
Last edited by Vlasco at Nov 20, 2014,
Quote by Duaneclapdrix
It's contested whether or not Bach actually wrote the Toccata and Fugue. Which is fine by me because I don't really like it that much.

Now here's a good Bach piece. With unison barolage
Well, if you're holding your breath waiting for my pedestrian taste in Bach to change, better not.

A while back, (or perhaps still), there was a "movement" toward discrediting William Shakespeare's play writing, claiming it was done by committee or plagiarized.

I researched your suggestion that the Bach work wasn't his. Trust me, the tedium of reading those forums, quickly discourages worrying or caring about it.

I always say, "those that can't, discredit those that can, as an excuse for a master's thesis".

So, it's hard to determine sometimes, where the truth starts, and the pseudo-intellectualism ends.

I will say the D minor toccata, holds it's bombast almost all the way through. Your example, comes out of the gate very strong, and then meanders a bit through a set of high rise elevator speakers. There do seem to be parts where the most difficulty would be remembering the score and staying awake at the same time. This isn't directed at you, or that particular piece, just something that inhabits Bach's work from time to time. "Largo" is an Italian word for, "gives your fingers a rest".

Quote by Dave_Mc
I remember the question mark floating over my head when I heard her name. Quite an uproar. Everybody posting comments under the scandalous news pieces about her qualification race fixing, could both out ski her, and were better violinists.

Here's my question, "did Thailand actually have world class alpine skiers that were shut out of the games because of her"?

Because this sounds like the "Jamaican bobsled team adventurers", who stunk to high heaven, but everybody went ahead and, "rooted for the underdogs".

Me, you didn't bother to ask? I was preoccupied with the Asian ice princess, Yu Na Kim. She's all delicacy, grace, and Spandex, a consummate trifecta.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Nov 20, 2014,
But Shakespear didn't write all that. It was one of the queens pals.

And what you talkin bout? The prelude is high octane perfection.

The Gavotte is noice as well. And the bourree. I'm not to familiar with the rest of the partita though. I need to fix that.
Quote by Captaincranky

I remember the question mark floating over my head when I heard her name. Quite an uproar. Everybody posting comments under the scandalous news pieces about her qualification race fixing, could both out ski her, and were better violinists.

but can they do both at the same time?

we should try to make that an olympic sport
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?