Firstly, let me just say this is not a "What guitar should I get?" thread, that topic just happens to be basis of my curiosity. I just wanted to point that out first because I know how those posts upset some people. Right, now to the question at hand...

I've recently started playing guitar and bought an acoustic guitar because, in my mind, thats what you learn on. So I've been progressing, slowly, and enjoying playing on my acoustic therefore, naturally, I'm getting giddy on the idea of buying my first electric in a few months.

My favourite guitar is a Fender Telecaster and I would very much like to buy one, but with it being my first electric guitar I'm reluctant to spend through the nose, as I'm sure everyone would advise is sensible. For this reason the Squier version of the Tele has come to mind. It is cheaper and this in hand means of poorer quality, yet it still remains in essence a carbon copy of the Fender.

My question is if you had a particular guitar in mind, one that you just liked and would like to get, would you wait longer and buy the more expensive yet higher quality item? Or would you get the cheaper, less capable imitation guitar considerably sooner?
I would wait if the price of the guitar is not out of reach. A good measure is it more than 50% more than the one you think will work for you in a pinch well then maybe it is too much. The Squiers are decent guitars and the classic vibe and vintage modified lines are really solid.
The Vintage Modified or classic vibe Squier Tele's are pretty nice guitars. The best tele I have ever owned was a Squier from the mid 90's (that guitar was amazing).

But if you want a Fender tele, look used. Used you can get the MIM fender tele's for $300ish. Here is one for $350
www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Used-Fender-Telecaster-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar-110577691-i3991119.gc

Here is a used Squeir tele custom for $180
www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-Used-Squier-Telecaster-Custom-Black-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar-110676730-i4035359.gc
In the guitar world, there's a certain point at which a guitar is going to be highly playable and have enough quality to be able to be played at a professional level. The Vintage Modified and Classic Vibe Squier Teles meet those qualifications, and are still extremely affordable.

As you progress with guitar, you'll be able to appreciate the refinements and cosmetics of some of the more expensive guitars. These days we're finding that expense, however, does not correlate to quality. People seem to be willing to pay extra to have a particular logo on the headstock (bragging rights), but have no other clear idea of why they're forking over the dough. At some point it comes down to your level of sophistication regarding guitars, your personal taste, peer esteem and your level of disposable income.

For a beginner, perhaps the most important thing is to find a really good tech who can help you set up your guitar to get the most out of whatever you own.
Quote by dspellman

For a beginner, perhaps the most important thing is to find a really good tech who can help you set up your guitar to get the most out of whatever you own.

Absolutely. These days, assuming you're buying from a decent brand at least, cheap guitars are actually pretty nice. In my experience, based on what I see in the store I work at, more often than not, the cheap guitars just don't have the same level of quality control that the more expensive ones do, so they come out of the box with high action, rough frets, or other issues. But these issues can be fixed, and if you get one set up well, a cheap guitar can feel just as good as one that's two or three times its price.
Patience is your friend.

Right now, you can assemble a gig-quality rig consisting of axe, amp & pedals for $1000, new. Used, you can do even better. And I mean something that could last you a career of professional play. So shopping around and saving your money will pay big dividends down the road.

While I agree a good tech is important, I'd rank a comfortable guitar is even moreso. A good tech can help you get the most out of any guitar, but if you don't like the way it feels when you're playing it, your tech's skills won't matter. You'll play less and less until you stop playing. So when shopping for a guitar, make sure you like the feel of the neck and that the fret ends aren't tearing up your hands; make sure the contours of the axe body against your body is comfy.
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Nov 17, 2014,
A Squier or MIM Tele and a good setup will carry you for a long time. Add a decent 20w tube amp and you can gig forever.
This is such a non-answer, but it's really up to you to decide that. Whether or not you're happy with a Squire Tele. or a G&L ASAT, etc. in place of a Fender Telecaster is something only you can decide.
Here's what I'll say, being a Fender fanatic, having owned a bunch, and being on a working man's budget.

A Squier Tele is just fine. A Classic Vibe tele is an even better value. However, a Made in Mexico Telecaster Standard is a guitar you can buy new for $500, or used for $275 and never have to worry about if it's good enough, if it'll resell well, or if you should have bought something else. It's a good investment, and a fantastic first electric guitar.

The only problem is reading reviews on most Squier guitars is that they're rife with people trying to convince themselves that it's okay they didn't save up just a bit extra for a Fender instead. Take what you read with a grain of salt. It's only a bit extra more used for more than twice the quality in guitar.
It depends a lot on your personal situation, how your budget is, how keen you are on guitar, how much you practice, etc.
If you want my two cents, I'd say play the suggested Tele's (classic vibe, MIM, vintage modified) as well as an MIA. Compare them and pick the one that you like the most. It's only important that you're happy with your purchase, we can't tell you which one you need.
Quote by chrismendiola
This is such a non-answer, but it's really up to you to decide that. Whether or not you're happy with a Squire Tele. or a G&L ASAT, etc. in place of a Fender Telecaster is something only you can decide.

My intention was to open a bit more of a discussion in regards to what people would do if they were in a similar situation as opposed to a straight up answer. Clearly it didn't translate very well from what I wrote.

Just for clarification guys, I'm talking merely patiently waiting for your favourite Guitar, or buy an imitation and lose some of that "This is my favourite Guitar" feeling as although in essence it is the same, really it isn't.
it depends on what the difference in quality is, how long i'd have to wait to save up the extra, what I currently have to use in the meantime, and also knowing what my personality is like (i.e. will I be happy with the cheaper one or not?)
Quote by TheMcDay

Just for clarification guys, I'm talking merely patiently waiting for your favourite Guitar, or buy an imitation and lose some of that "This is my favourite Guitar" feeling as although in essence it is the same, really it isn't.

Ah!

In my case, it depends. If it is something that is a burning desire for X, the only thing that will quench it will be X. Almost invariably, if you buy something less/other than X, you'll still wind up buying X at some future point. In our family, we call this "the lesson of the Bose speakers." (My dad lusted after some 901s...)

However, if X is merely something I like/want, I'm perfectly willing to settle for some kind of reasonable substitute. For example, I have wanted a Yamaha TVL for some time. But they're out of production, and those I have seen in the used market in anything resembling really good condition are $1600+. OTOH, a used Reverend Manta Ray 390 LE- also out of production- is verrrry similar, and even though they're rarer, happens to cost between $750-900...and I know a place that still has a new one for @$1000. So I bought a used one.
I'm woundering how you could tell you want such a specific guitar without knowing what it feels like, what it sound like, what kind of neck shape you like, what kind of wood you like, what kind on pickups, what scale you like, what size of frets, and on, and on.

IMHO, the only thing it feels you "love" is the body shape and the crest on the head.
It's your money, in the end, but before spending that much on a high end instrument, I would advise to test a couple first.

Or, you can just try to find one used at a decent price, get it properly setted up by a qualified technician and be done for the rest of your life!
Quote by JustRooster
Here's what I'll say, being a Fender fanatic, having owned a bunch, and being on a working man's budget.

A Squier Tele is just fine. A Classic Vibe tele is an even better value. However, a Made in Mexico Telecaster Standard is a guitar you can buy new for $500, or used for $275 and never have to worry about if it's good enough, if it'll resell well, or if you should have bought something else. It's a good investment, and a fantastic first electric guitar.

The only problem is reading reviews on most Squier guitars is that they're rife with people trying to convince themselves that it's okay they didn't save up just a bit extra for a Fender instead. Take what you read with a grain of salt. It's only a bit extra more used for more than twice the quality in guitar.

+1
Quote by TheMcDay

I was spoiled. I sorta started with my favorite guitars. I was working in a music store, got a discount, picked up used and traded-in guitars for dirt cheap and was able to have pretty much anything I wanted early on.

It was much later when I realized that there were cheaper "non-favorite-brand" guitars that were just as playable and that sounded pretty much the same (or had their own unique qualities) as the favorite-brand spread.
"This is my favourite Guitar" feeling ..
I contest the notion that you can know your favourite guitar before you own it. Dream guitar, sure. But the "This is my favourite guitar" feeling is several steps beyond the "I want that guitar" feeling. Dream guitars regularly disappoint and conversely, often people's favourite guitar ends up being the one they didn't expect. Any sometimes not.

Further, the words "dream guitar" and "favourite" imply a certain finality to the guitar acquisition process. This is a falsity. You will never stop wanting another guitar. It's physics or something.

So you're left with the choice:
A) Buy what you can afford now because you want to play, create, jam & perform now more than anything. And this guitar could even end up being your favourite. And relax because you love playing so much that there is no chance you won't buy another when the time is right.
B) Sit around saving for however long it takes to get the guitar you think you'll love, with nothing to play in the meantime. But at least you get to experience the "I'm buying my dream guitar" feeling for a day or two.

(Buy the damn Squire immediately)
I have a Squire Tele that I bought in the late 90's (98-99). I sat in the store and played every Squire Tele they had in stock (which was 8-9 as I remember). I picked one that had a rosewood neck that felt and sounded good to me and I continue to enjoy it. I usually play something like a Les Paul or something with humbuckers but the Tele has a unique sound. About 3-4 years ago I got a MIM Tele because I thought that would be a step up in sound and overall quality. I found that over a period of time I didn't like the tone nearly as much as my old Squire Tele. Just my opinion. The build quality on the MIM was a little better but to my ears the Squire sounded and felt better. About six months ago I wanted to buy a bass guitar for recording because I wanted a better live feel (I was using my keyboard and bass samples). I looked at my guitars and picked the MIM as the least played guitar I owned so I traded it in on a bass guitar at Guitar Center. In my case for whatever reason, I just liked the Squire Tele more. Play all the Tele modals in a store and see if one just feels and sounds better to you regardless what the price tag says..
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Nov 19, 2014,