Hi UG.

My first guitar was an Ibanez Grx70. For me it has and incredibly comfortable neck to play. Sadle the guitar has issues such as some High frets, bad tuners and a stringsnapping bridge. So I was looking for a more high-end replacement, but Ibanez only seems to producere this low-end model with this particular neck.

I have tried searching for similar necks, but all pages seems to bet alting about neck thickness at certain frets and fretboard radius, but not the actually roundness of the neck and the way it feels in the hand when you are playing.

So does annonce own this guitar or happen to have tried it before and then know about a guitar which can boast the same delicious neck profile? I would love to find one. Brand doesn't matter, bodyshape must not be pointy and i would like it to be somewhat midrange or above.

My local musicstore went bankrupt, so no way i can go there anymore to try stuff out.

Hope you can help me out.

Regards Casper
Ibanez Neck Types

Check this ^ page for all the dimensions of all Ibanez necks. (You'll find yours under GRX.) As you see, the dimensions aren't just about thickness at certain frets. I imagine you'd be looking for a Wizard II or III neck - these are incredibly slim and fast.

Find an Ibanez you like the look of and compare the neck dimensions using this page.

But if you want the feel, your best bet is to go to a music shop which stocks a lot of Ibanez guitars and just hold them.

So many Ibanez's have those wonderful slim necks - even higher end models. You could look at the SA series for something, if that's your style. The lower end SAs are quite affordable but of much better quality than your Gio.

Good luck.
Last edited by Yetaxa at Nov 18, 2014,
Wow, that's an impressive page

But i have tried holding and playing other highend Ibanez guitars such as the RG1451 and RGA121. I just find those necks to be incredibly flat and wide on the backside and not as rounded and less wide as my GRX70. None the less the fretjob and tuning stability of those guitars are absolutely amazing.

I found the dimensions of the GRX on the page you linked and held the data up against other Ibanez guitars necks found on the Ibanez homepage. I simply cannot seem to find any neck that has the same dimensions though. All of the guitars there have necks that almost exactly match the flat and wide dimensions of the RGA121 and RG1451.

Maybe I should look for another brand if that feel is not for me? They can make my fretting hand cramp up after a while, and i don't get that with the GRX.

The exact dimensions of my GRX according to the page are as follows:

Nut width: 42mm
Fretboard width at 22nd fret: 56mm
Thickness at 1st fret: 20,5mm
Thickness at 12th fret: 23mm
Fretboard radius: 400mmR

The neck still feels round on the back with those dimensions more like the letter C and not as much as a ( like the back of the prestige guitars.

Does anyone know any guitar with a similar "neck spec" and the more round feel?

Hope this Info helps
I actually think I have found a guitar with a neck that is almost a match. It is not a 100% match but close. It seems that the Joe Satriani signature guitars except for a curvier fretboard are the closest thing i can find.

If you look closely you can also see that the headstock is matching the style of the GRX70 and from the pictures i have found it also looks like it has a rounded feel to it and not so flat.

Though it is very expensive, and I am not a fan of Joe or floating tremolos

Wouldn't it be sad buying a guitar with such a good quality trem on it and just block it? I think so.

But someone in here must own a JS signature and played something that was very similiar?
The neck you are going to probably like the most is the Ultra neck profile from Ibanez. The JS models have a very similar feel to an Ultra. There are some hardtail JS models out there, the JS6, JS700, JS1600, JS2000. The older 540 Radius had the Ultra neck, but also have the edge trem. I believe some of the RT series have an Ultra neck. On the high end several Prestiges and J Customs have an Ultra Profile.

You could also think about a JS100, It is a lesser expensive version of the Japan JS series. One of the downfalls of that guitar is the trem system, but you could block it off and not feel guilty about it

Outside the Ibanez brand there are many that would probably be very close. I have a Schecter C-1 Classic that seems to have a similar carve to an Ultra, The newer Charvels seem to also have a similar carve, though maybe a tad slimmer.
Reverend necks are 43mm at the nut, and have a 12" radius- very similar to what you're looking for. The overall cross section is a medium oval. QC is very consistent.

http://www.reverendguitars.com/category/guitar/

Electra Guitars also have similar dimensions to their necks, and are also very good.

http://www.electraguitar.com
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Nov 19, 2014,
The ART serie by Ibanez are also "rounder" and "Thicker", have you tried one?
Quote by t1mman
The ART serie by Ibanez are also "rounder" and "Thicker", have you tried one?

The ART look nice, but it seems they have changed into the ARZ Series now and are completely smeared in abalone.. Not really nice. Maybe if i stumble upon a used one though and no i have never tried one. My old shop didn't Stock any Ibanez besides a JEM and a few GIO.
Quote by dannyalcatraz

http://www.reverendguitars.com/category/guitar/

Electra Guitars also have similar dimensions to their necks, and are also very good.

http://www.electraguitar.com

I don't really like the looks af the Reverend guitars to be honest though i find the LP shaped electra guitars quite nice though getting a hold of another more known brand such as Ibanez, Charvel or Schecter would be Easter for me because of Thomann. I live in Denmark, and Electra does have a dealer in germany. Do you own an Electra? I haven't really head about them before? It would have to be a complete blind order. With other brands I could go to another City in my own country an have them order something me me to try.
Not to worry- I own some Reverend guitars, not Reverend Guitars!. If everyone liked the same stuff, there'd only be one kind of electric guitar.

Electra was a Japanese brand- alongside Burny/Fernandes, Ibanez, Orville, Edwards, and others- that had some success back in the 1970's. Peter Frampton was a big fan & endorser.* They went under in the 80s or 90s, but recently a couple of veteran builders bought the company's intellectual property and brought them back.

I bought one of the Electra Omega Primes, currently tuned CGDAEG. One of the guys in The Sword plays one, too. Like I said, the neck is similar to the Revs, and thus, the profile you're looking for. The body is nicely done. The pickups are, as I understand, Electra's own design, and have thus far handled the stuff I'm playing on it quite well. When it arrived, it was nicely set up, strung with te correct gauges for that tuning, and just a half note or so flat from it- loosened for shipping purposes.

I have found no manufacturing or QC flaws in mine.

Honestly, I'd be happy owning another Electra, but the Omegas are the only ones I like the looks of.

Damn shame, too, since they're doing a special promo with Sony wireless.
http://www.electraguitar.com/pages/wireless-guitar-system

* he lost one of his favorites somehow, and just recently got it back.
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Nov 20, 2014,
Quote by Fastmerc
The neck you are going to probably like the most is the Ultra neck profile from Ibanez. The JS models have a very similar feel to an Ultra. The older 540 Radius had the Ultra neck, but also have the edge trem. I believe some of the RT series have an Ultra neck. On the high end several Prestiges and J Customs have an Ultra Profile.

You could also think about a JS100, It is a lesser expensive version of the Japan JS series. One of the downfalls of that guitar is the trem system, but you could block it off and not feel guilty about it

Outside the Ibanez brand there are many that would probably be very close. I have a Schecter C-1 Classic that seems to have a similar carve to an Ultra, The newer Charvels seem to also have a similar carve, though maybe a tad slimmer.

Yes the Ultra neck looks exactly right although it seems that I cannot find any prestiges with this neck in production atm? So i should maybe Hunt Down a used Ibanez to get what i want then?
Or have a look on some Schecters and Charvels. I did try a Bandhee from schecter in Bangkok some weeks back and that was actually quite nice except for some fretbuzz problems even though the action wasn't that low. On top of that I have been Reading that the QC for schecter maybe isn't that good atm? Or do you guys have other experiences?
Schecter is not too bad, especially if you find one from Korea. The Indo ones leave a little to be desired. But frankly, any guitar is likely to need a setup even if its brand new.
Another brand to check out is Hagstrom. The neck dimensions are similar to what you want, but with a 15" radius. Good guitars.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!