I want to be able to purchase guitar from warmoth.com, or any other place online that sells bodies and necks, and be able to assemble them all by myself when I receive them in the mail....

I can already do basic setups, string changes, etc
but I feel like I really need to learn this skill.

Obviously, there are schools out there that teach this stuff, and someday, when I have the cash and time I would love to pay for some schooling and learn this trade.

For now though, what can I do? I was thinking of posting local ads on craigslist offering to pay people to teach me how to do the basics of assembly with all of the parts.
Installing tuning pegs, bridges, nuts, input jacks, and what seems to me to be the hardest part, the electronics...

Maybe after I am taught and shown by somebody I will be able to do it much easier.
You guys think that the craigslist thing is a good idea?

I was thinking of trying the same thing with old ladies that know how to sew, so that I don't have to pay out the ass to take my battle jacket with all of the patches that I want sewn onto it to a tailor.

Give me your input please.
Thanks!
Parts installation is really easy. The electronics are probably the easiest. IMHO you'd be wasting money paying people to show you how to do stuff you could easily learn yourself and/or with some advice from this forum. Even if you didn't want to use the forum, you still have the entire internet at your beck and call.

Ordering pre-made bodies and necks is perfect for beginners because all the hard stuff is done for you. All you have to do is some final tweaking to make the body and neck fit together and then paint it and install parts.
For assembling pre made parts you don't really need schooling or to pay someone to be be taught. If you were wanting to create a guitar from raw materials then that's different as you are entering the realm of the luthiers, which is a learned and acquired skill set.

For putting together pre made parts forums such as this can give good advice and the rest is up to you. Most things with building a guitar of separate parts are based on logic and applying a process. You tube is great for different things with many experienced luthiers to show the way. I've done lots of builds and rebuilds, re-frets, etc. Some things I did the first time without prior practice because the online videos are that good.

But its logical mind and research and lots of patience that gets you through. You do need a good set of tools however of all sorts of variety's. From clamps to hex drivers to carpenters glue to soldering iron to you name it. The money you would have spent on some course I'd put towards a good set of tools if you are serious about this.
Last edited by Phoenix V at Nov 17, 2014,
The thing that confuses me most is installing a nut. Then there's drilling bigger holes in the tuning pegs if your're tuners don't fit...

Ughhh. I'm not trying to complain I just want to build it the right way and not **** anything up...
I'll definitely try and skype some guys here on the forum if they would be so kind as to offer some guidance.

I plan on ordering my guitar necks with stainless steel frets. Idk if I am going to have to do anything to them. Will I?
My advice is to go talk with a tech at a local mom and pop shop. I know that when I was 14 or 15 and just getting into modding guitars every tech I talked to was super enthusiastic about showing me all their tools and stuff. Usually they're really good guys, but sometimes you'll come across a real asshole. It doesn't hurt to ask though. The tech at Georgetown Music in Seattle was a really good mentor for me until he had to move away for personal reasons.

But ask a tech at a locally owned shop. GC or Sam Ash might be helpful, but I'd be less confident in their helpfulness.
The thing that confuses me most is installing a nut. Then there's drilling bigger holes in the tuning pegs if your're tuners don't fit ... I plan on ordering my guitar necks with stainless steel frets. Idk if I am going to have to do anything to them. Will I?

Plan, plan, plaaaaan.
If you know every dimension of every part you plan to use before you start there's little that can go wrong. Decide which nut style and width you want before you order anything. Decide which tuners you'll use. Then you can just order the neck with the exact ream you need. With the right planning, nuts are the simplest thing to install. Or just get Warmoth to put the nut on as part of your order. The extra cost for this service is about the same as a DIY. Note, the nut slots may still require further setup.

SS frets are a winner. Warmoth doesn't dress their frets to any great degree and the bevelling is quite mild. Most people like to give them a further polish and extra bevel or rounding. They're definitely playable out of the box but even W recommends further attention to get them to your own comfort level. Working with frets can be a dicey affair if you're not careful, patient and/or don't have the right tools. Go slow and be super careful to protect the timbers. Like, paranoia-level careful.
Last edited by Danustar at Nov 17, 2014,
By polish, you mean with 0000 steel wool, right?

Also, @SlimJimmy; how should I go about that? Walk into GC or a local music store and ask the guy if he would take me on as an apprentice in his spare time in return for smoking him up and maybe getting him beer?
Quote by DeathShredder23
Also, @SlimJimmy; how should I go about that? Walk into GC or a local music store and ask the guy if he would take me on as an apprentice in his spare time in return for smoking him up and maybe getting him beer?

Just say, "Hey man, I undertook a project and I was wondering if you could give me some advice." And getting him a beer would never hurt.
One thing to add to slimjimmypage's post is to try and make sure they guy is COMPETENT. I know you will probably have trouble distinguishing between good techniques and b.s., being so new, but way too many so-called "techs" and "luthiers" are complete hacks. Older guys tend to be the best source of info because they've been around the block a few times and you don't get to be doing anything for long if you're a hack.

If you glean info from everywhere you can (internet, library, etc) you'll quickly start to be able to know what's good advice and what's a load of crap.
Quote by DeathShredder23
The thing that confuses me most is installing a nut. Then there's drilling bigger holes in the tuning pegs if your're tuners don't fit...

Both of these have excellent you tube tutorials if you spend time doing some research. Its not that scary.

I'll start you off.

Go look through Sully's Guitar Garage videos on you tube and also look up Freddysfrets videos while you are there. The whole compendium. Your mind will expand, possibly explode. And there's hundreds more from other luthiers.

We live in a free information age. Try it.
Last edited by Phoenix V at Nov 18, 2014,
When I built my partscaster it was a really fun thing to do and you end up with a guitar like no-one else has.

I managed to get all the parts and put it all together ok but once I had finished, I found that it didn't play that well and the frets on the neck I had were a bit uneven and needed a fret dress. I didn't have the right tools and wasn't that confident to do any fret work. The electronics and screwing it all together was easy though. When I took it to the tech, he noticed that thte neck also needed shimming and once he had finished with it it plays like a dream now.

So my advice would be to keep some money in the budget to take it to a tech if there is anything you'd like a more experienced person to take a look at to make sure the end result is something you'll be happy with.