I wanted to start another thread on this topic because I felt I didn't give enough data last time. Now I'm going to follow the sticky through and through...

1. Budget- Anything less than $300. This would be my first electric.

2. Favourite artists- My favourite guitarist is Dave Mustaine because he plays the best combination of lead and rhythm I've ever seen, but individually James Hetfield is my favourite rhythm player and Adrian Smith is my favourite lead player. I haven't decided which direction I want to head into as a guitar player yet, but right now I am clearly more lead-oriented.

3. Preferences- V-shape, because I am so inspired by Dave Mustaine and because it looks so insanely cool. Maple neck, basswood and rosewood fretboard is what most guitars in this price range have, which is fine by me. I would like a brand that is associated with metal like Jackson, Dean or Schecter. I want to stay away from bands like Epiphone and Squier because I've heard that they sound like plastic toys. But 24 frets is an absolute necessity for me.

4. Pickups- I know most people say that guitars under $300 have crap pickups. Just give me a guitar that has a comparatively good sound for the price.

5. New or used- New. Don't even bother convincing me otherwise I don't mind if the guitar has a scratch or dent or something due to transport, as long as it's never been used before.

6. Location- Mumbai, India. Which rules out all those fancy guitar brands that sound really awesome but nobody's heard of. Guitar Center India has pretty much- nothing. But local shops have plenty of brands like ESP, Schecter, Ibanez, Dean, Jackson, even Washburn.

7. Current gear- Just an Indian acoustic guitar that actually sounds alright.

Thanks for reading through all of this and forgive any grammatical errors... please feel free to ask any additional details and thanks in advance for helping out!

P.S. Yes I won't forget to get a good amplifier...
Last edited by josonmj at Nov 17, 2014,
$300 new isn't going to get you anything decent to be honest. if used, you would do a lot better, but it is your preference.

i would touch a Dean or BC rich for under $500.

jackson would probably be the way to go.

what brands are available to you?
Quote by trashedlostfdup
what brands are available to you?

Edited. But surely everyone doesn't have to shell out $500 to buy a decent beginner guitar. At this stage, I probably won't even be able to make out the difference between something at $500 and something at $300. Sorry for being stubborn, but I'm gonna stick to new.
i am pretty sure ibanez doesn't make a V. i would take a jackson over schecter if sehecter has one, assuming comparable.

do you want a tremolo?
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i am pretty sure ibanez doesn't make a V. i would take a jackson over schecter if sehecter has one, assuming comparable.

do you want a tremolo?

Ibanez made a V for a very short time (A year or so) called the VBT700, not sure what happened to it, but reports are suggesting that Dave Mustaine, ESP or Jackson sued them. But obviously nobody has any proof either way and it's all second hand info.

Schecter make the ATX V that I quite like, but the neck is chunky.
You're not going to get a great new guitar for >$300 regardless of what brand it is, so you may as well drop the notion of branding. Tons of guitars in that price range are going to be plagued with playability issues, and you only have to spend a little bit more money for those problems to generally start disappearing. So I honestly think it's worth saving up more money to get a better guitar to play on in this situation.

If you cannot budge on the budget, then just get a JS series Jackson KV (with a fixed bridge) and be done with it. Avoid Dean and BC Rich, they're generally god awful under the $500 range.
Quote by josonmj
I want to stay away from bands like Epiphone and Squier because I've heard that they sound like plastic toys.

Pretty much any guitar is going to sound like that if you're running a crappy amp. And cheap Epiphones, Squires, (pretty much cheap anything) often do, because such guitars are bought by beginners who can only afford to use those kinds of amps. Basically the vast, vast majority of problems with a guitars tone is the amp sucking, not necessarily the guitar.
Quote by gorkyporky
What about the Dean VMNTX (http://www.deanguitars.com/query?upc=819998030957)? Its a V that you want, its around 300$ new i think, and its suposed to be a pretty damn good guitar for the price? And its a Dave Mustaine guitar, OP should love that.

I wouldn't recommend this. The last thing TS needs to pay for in this price range are artist royalties over the quality of the instrument itself. But I suppose it depends on where TS' priorities lie.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Nov 17, 2014,
That is true, but from what i hear about it, its a solid guitar, eventho its a signature. Not all sigs are bad value
I am aware of the Dean VMNTX and how ideal it seems to be, it is available here too. But I have heard a lot of shit regarding low-priced Deans from people like this helpful guy above who are experienced players. Some people trash the Dean brand itself. Not too keen on a tremolo, so anybody here who recommends a Jackson JS32T King V? Anyone who's played the Dean VMNTX and think it's any good? No I will not buy an inferior guitar just because it has Dave's name on it. Any other recommendations? I don't mind shifting away from the V-shape if there are really good guitars within the price range.
Quote by gorkyporky
That is true, but from what i hear about it, its a solid guitar, eventho its a signature. Not all sigs are bad value

Not all sigs are bad value, but (IMO) only in situations were a sig guitar includes special features that you cannot just retrofit onto a standard model. But that isn't the case here. The VMNTX is just a typical budget flying V with Dave's name in it.

Honestly the Jackson JS32T is what I'd get if I couldn't move on the budget. I like their neck profiles. It's not a great guitar, but for >$300 what do you expect.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Nov 17, 2014,
Honestly, if its available, go try it out? You cant really loose anything. As for the JS32, i have actually played that one, and i didnt like it. It seemed pretty cheap to me, and the neck was not my cup of tea.
The JS32T is basically the JS32 without a tremolo. But I will make it a point to try out every recommendation along with whatever the store guy says.
The ESP LTD V-50 looks brilliant, but it's above my budget in Indian currency, coming to about $390.
Quote by josonmj
I am aware of the Dean VMNTX and how ideal it seems to be, it is available here too. But I have heard a lot of shit regarding low-priced Deans from people like this helpful guy above who are experienced players. Some people trash the Dean brand itself. Not too keen on a tremolo, so anybody here who recommends a Jackson JS32T King V? Anyone who's played the Dean VMNTX and think it's any good? No I will not buy an inferior guitar just because it has Dave's name on it. Any other recommendations? I don't mind shifting away from the V-shape if there are really good guitars within the price range.

I own a JS32T but in the Rhoads model. Its a decent guitar for the money. After a decent setup plays pretty well.
Quote by jsevert
I own a JS32T but in the Rhoads model. Its a decent guitar for the money. After a decent setup plays pretty well.

That's good news, because as far as I'm aware they're the same guitar just with different body shapes.