Wondering if anyone knew what size or string i need to tune the high e a step up?
I was thinking maybe a 40 bass string might work
tuning the HIGH E with a 40? A 12 would do fine...
I'm going to assume you're talking about the low E in which case tuning the low E a step up to F# would do fine with anything in the 40-46 range. It depends how tight you like your strings really. If it was me doing that then I would definitely use 40.
No I want the high e to be at an A.
Got a tuning that needs the high e to be a bass
I'm not following this. The high E is the first string in standard tuning. So you're saying you want the first string to be low A? - As in a standard-tuned 5th string?

Or are you saying that you want the low E - 6th string - tuned down to A? That's big drop, and a suitable bass string might not fit in either the bridge or the tuner post without mods.
Quote by phoenix52
Yes I want the first string to be at an A
I'm tuning to a DADADA

Okay, first off, tuning your high E to A is more than a step up. It's two and a half steps. And going higher than standard tuning, you're going to need a LIGHTER string, not a heavier one.

Although, this:
Quote by phoenix52
No I want the high e to be at an A.
Got a tuning that needs the high e to be a bass

is confusing as all hell. What do you mean when you say the high E needs to be a bass? Can you refer us to a video of someone else using the tuning that you're trying to get to?
Last edited by the_bi99man at Nov 17, 2014,
Quote by phoenix52
Yes I want the first string to be at an A
I'm tuning to a DADADA

Just to 100% clarify:

When you use the word "high" you should be using it to refer to the pitch of the string. Physical locations are always secondary to the sound, using high in any other context with regards to an instrument makes no sense.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Just to 100% clarify:

When you use the word "high" you should be using it to refer to the pitch of the string. Physical locations are always secondary to the sound, using high in any other context with regards to an instrument makes no sense.

Same with frets, high should refer to pitch, not distance way from you.