Howdy guys

I've had this Gladiator guitar for a few years now. Great guitar yadda yadda. Anywho, long story short... When I ordered the guitar from Carlino guitars the specific model I wanted was out of stock (the lightburst) and the only one he had left was a cherry burst. I was a bit disappointed but I went for the cherry burst anyway since I was curious about the guitars. Didn't look too bad in person and it had a cool top so I kept it. Was a shame that the guitar was clowned up so I finally mustered up the courage to get the thing refin'd and have the LP I always wanted.

Anywho, the guitar started off like this (minus the hardware upgrades obviously)

Refin process:

To this:

Super happy with how the guitar turned out. Now I just need to find the PG screws so I can slap it back on

Here's me hacking away too if you're into that.

Wow you did a great job! How long did it take ya?

Looks much better, I never really cared for cherry bursts at all.
Quote by JGM258
Wow you did a great job! How long did it take ya?

Looks much better, I never really cared for cherry bursts at all.

Thanks, yeah I never liked the clown look either. I'm sure it can look good though.

I actually got it done by a local guy (next time I'll do it myself XD). Took about 3 weeks but it would've been sooner. Had a few muck ups on the way (the first time he did the color, the finish kind of orange peeled and it had to be redone) that slowed down the lead time. Aside from that it was awesome and didn't cost me an arm and a leg.
Quote by gregs1020
thank you for declowning a beauty.

she looks amazing.

Thanks Greg.

I did it all for you.
Quote by ProphetToJables
Gotta love stringing over the tail piece!

I sniff a lot of cork. What can I say?

Leave the PG off, looks better.
Also, why string over the tailpiece? I've never seen that done on a non wraparound bridge.
Quote by ryanbwags
Also, why string over the tailpiece? I've never seen that done on a non wraparound bridge.

PG off is nice. I might rock it for a while.

Top wrapping is actually done on lots of tune-o-matic style guitars. Better break angle and you can slam the tailpiece down if you're into that. Some people say the guitars feel a bit slinkier too. I don't know if I'm one though.

I mostly do it for looks and because that's how I learned it.

Here's some classic LPs, top wrapped:

Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Nov 17, 2014,
Quote by ProphetToJables
Increased scale length for easier bends

Pretty sure the scale length stays the same though considering your nut and bridge aren't moving. Just the angle of the strings prolly.
Interesting. Maybe I will give it a shot next time I change strings on my explorer.
And, yeah, that wouldn't change scale length, but I get what you are thinking.
Quote by ryanbwags
Interesting. Maybe I will give it a shot next time I change strings on my explorer.
And, yeah, that wouldn't change scale length, but I get what you are thinking.

Yeah give it a shot for sure. For the most part though it's just for 'mojo'

You can't play old stuff without mojo after all

Quote by ProphetToJables
The length of string you're applying tension to changes though.

I can't really measure right now but yeah you're probably right about that. It would be a very small difference in length though I would say.
Well yeah/ I'm going to be doing it to mine when these strings need a change, don't like the 9s they ship Gibsons with
That refinish made it sexier. Congrats!

Pics of the whole thing including the back and headstock.
Quote by ProphetToJables
Well yeah/ I'm going to be doing it to mine when these strings need a change, don't like the 9s they ship Gibsons with

Nice, what do you usually use?

I go for these:

DR Pure Blues. Nickel wound 10-46.

Quote by Ippon

Thanks Ippon. I think so too.

I'll get some shot of the headstock and the back of the guitar when I get home. Those shots won't be too pretty since the thing has some scars from my various mods throughout the years.
Quote by ProphetToJables
Ernie Ball either standard 10s or skinny top heavy bottoms

Nice. You should try some nickel wounds though. Especially if you're playing rock shit.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
wow

such cork

many snake oil

Awesome refinish dude.

I couldn't resist. I got a brown lifton style case on the way to finish off the corkiness too.

Thanks.
Quote by Dave_Mc
nice work

thanks dave.

I'll try to get a few more shots after I get off work.
Thanks bobo. Its a pretty cool looking top but my photos miss most of it sadly. The top is solid too. No veneer
Quote by ryanbwags

I do it so that can screw the tailpiece posts right down and also get a shallow saddle break angle. If there is any improvement in tone to be had, that would be the way to do it, IMO.
Quote by Ippon

Here's some back and headstock shots (kind of outdated though since the plastics are black and the TRC has been replaced.

Headstock:

Back (its a 2 piece):

Maple cap (after scraping off the black gunk):

Sorry for the quality, I didn't take the greatest pictures back then
NRFD: Always finish what you start

That's what *she* said.

Gladiator

So was she!

<*Listens for rimshots*>

Good to see that thing is finished. It certainly seems to have been a bit of a journey.
Out of curiosity, whats a "Gladiator" cost, and what's a refinish cost these days?
Quote by dspellman
That's what *she* said.

So was she!

<*Listens for rimshots*>

Good to see that thing is finished. It certainly seems to have been a bit of a journey.
Out of curiosity, whats a "Gladiator" cost, and what's a refinish cost these days?

yeah, my guitars tend to go on journeys a lot.

The refin costed me around 180 CAD for the top.

Quote by Ippon

GG-157, lower end model.

Quote by Ippon

Yeah, that's mine. I paid less than that but with shipping it put me around 800 bucks I think.
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Nov 18, 2014,