Listening and learning Declaration by KSE. One section has this lil number here (Drop C)

|---------------------------------|
|-0-0-----0-0-----------------6-6-|
|-0-0-----0-0-----------------4-4-|
|-0-0-----0-0-----------------6-6-|

So initially I thought the tabber crazy until I played it and somehow the second chord sounded lower than what it really is. Is this a musical phenomenon that Im unfamiliar with? Please help me understand it.

EDIT: I also notice tje sound of the second chord is nearly identical (to my ears) to a minor 2nd down from the first chord
Last edited by eric_wearing at Nov 17, 2014,
It is an inverted chord with the 5th of the chord played on the lowest string. In standard tuning, you've probably played like this:

---------|
---------|
---------|
---6-----|
---4-----|
---4-----|

This gives the powerchord that deep and muddy sound.
^ Yeah. It kind of sounds "lower" because the lowest note of the chord is the fifth, not the root. And you kind of still hear it, even though the root isn't the lowest note in the chord.

For example try this:

e|------
B|------
G|------
D|-2--2-
A|-2--2-
E|----0-

These chords should sound almost the same. Adding the open E string doesn't change the sound of the chord that much (it does make it sound a bit fuller). But I would say the first chord sounds as low as the second chord.
That second chord has its root on C#. It's ill-defined with no 3rd in it.
The first chord is ambiguous. Could be heard with root on E or A.
Nice sounding change. I like it.

cheers, Jerry
Quote by jerrykramskoy
That second chord has its root on C#. It's ill-defined with no 3rd in it.
The first chord is ambiguous. Could be heard with root on E or A.
Nice sounding change. I like it.

cheers, Jerry

He is in drop C tuning. So the first chord is C5, the second chord is B5 with fifth as the lowest note.
Quote by MaggaraMarine
He is in drop C tuning. So the first chord is C5, the second chord is B5 with fifth as the lowest note.

Thanks MM ... I missed that bit about drop C. Sounded pretty cool in normal tuning.

cheers, Jerry