Well, good evening.
I am in need of some help finding the key of a song. It goes like this:
Chorus: C Em7 F C, C Em7 F C, C Em7 F C
Chorus Ending: D# F G G
Verse: F G Em A G, F G E A G, F G
[...]

So, from the chorus I would've said it's in C major. But then the ending contains a D#. And then the verse part has both Em and Emaj chords, which completely screwed my mind.
If anyone can help me, I'd appreciate it.
The tonal centre is C. The main source of chords is from the major scale (rooted off C). But there are also some chords being borrowed from other sources, to add some additional flavour. For example, the D# (or Eb) could come from the b3 of C natural minor. This is very common.

Similarly, it also common to swap chord types (hence Em and E). Again for flavour. You just think of these as "bumps" in the normal flow of C major chords.

cheers, Jerry
Em to E isn't just a "flavour" thing, it's a V/vi. For TS (I'm not going to get deep into it right now), it makes a pretty nice transition to the Am chord.

EDIT: Oh sorry it's an A major chord. Still works the same.
Sounds like C major to me.

Eb is a pretty common accidental. Eb major is not that rare in C major songs. It is borrowed from the parallel minor (C minor).

Yeah, and the E major is as a secondary dominant for A.
Quote by sickman411
Em to E isn't just a "flavour" thing, it's a V/vi. For TS (I'm not going to get deep into it right now), it makes a pretty nice transition to the Am chord.

EDIT: Oh sorry it's an A major chord. Still works the same.

What's TS stand for?

cheers, Jerry
Quote by jerrykramskoy
What's TS stand for?

cheers, Jerry

The real question, Jerry, is what do you stand for?

Deep...huh?

<<cue soap opera music and an eight second shot of 91RG350 with eyebrows moving quizzically after asking the question>>
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Threadstarter
Or, "topic Starter". (Yeah I know, I'll argue about anything)...