Hi everybody,

I used to post here years back but have since lost my account. I've been playing guitar a lot again lately and as I foolishly sold most of my guitars I'm looking to buy a new one.

My question to people who have played these guitars is what are the pros and cons of:

65-66 Fender Mustang USA
and
93-94 or earlier Fender Jaguar MIJ

I'm not willing to drop a ton of cash on this just yet and I'm assuming there's a reason the original Fender Mustangs are still so cheap and I'm wondering if I should go for a MIJ jaguar instead?
I never liked the Mustang. No mojo. I suppose if you are into Punk or anti-establishment stuff it has a look, but not much of a player IMO. Play them both and see what fit you best.
Quote by hillybilly
Hi everybody,

I used to post here years back but have since lost my account. I've been playing guitar a lot again lately and as I foolishly sold most of my guitars I'm looking to buy a new one.

My question to people who have played these guitars is what are the pros and cons of:

65-66 Fender Mustang USA

200? Fender Jagstang MIJ
and
93-94 or earlier Fender Jaguar MIJ

I'm not willing to drop a ton of cash on this just yet and I'm assuming there's a reason the original Fender Mustangs are still so cheap and I'm wondering if I should go for a MIJ jaguar instead?

ftfy

I have both the MIJ Jaguar (HH) and Jagstang (HS) and had access to a buddy's CP Jaguar Special (SS). Check out the Jagstang, my favorite short-scale. I find the HS PU config to be a bit more versatile than HH or SS. People knock the stock PUs but they're fine through my Rivera for Cleans or the Diezel VH4's carnage mode/channel 3.

You can snag a very clean/used one for $550 or a slightly dinged one for $450.
Last edited by Ippon at Nov 18, 2014,
Are you not talking about the reissue? I have a '65 reissue MIJ Mustang, its quite the player and is supposed to be true to the original but it's, obviously, new. The stock pups in it are killer. I prefer the Mustang, but they're both great guitars. I'd say try 'em out, then go from there.