Hey there. I'm looking for a multi fx pedal that I can use as a midi footswitch for my amp as well use run the effects on it. Right now my eyes are on the tc electronic nova system. The effects sound awesome, the parametric eq is nice and they seem to work well as a footswitch for the amp as well. The only thing that could be a little better is having more than 3 channels per bank and being able to edit more than 3 frequencies at a time.

Anyone know any other multi fx pedals that can help?
I have the Nova System and the Boss GT100, both have Midi and both can control your amp no problem.

However keep in mind that the Nova System cannot be run in 4 cable method, which means you either have to have all the Nova System effects in the loop of your amp or up front. If you run it in the loop then you will lose access to its all analog drive/distortion circuit. If you just want awesome effects and want them all in the loop the NS is a great choice.

If on the other hand you want solid-great effects, want to be able to run effects in front of your amp (compression, OD/DS, wah, etc) and modulation/delays/reverbs in the loop than the GT100 is an awesome choice.

The added bonus of the GT100 (and the previously mentioned L6HD) is that you also have amp modeling available so that it can function as a back up should you amp die. You can run it direct to the PA or a powered speaker and have a set of presets that use the amp modeling which you can access should you ever need to.

I used to own the L6HD500 and imho the GT100 is way better if you gig. Better screen(s), way easier pedal board mode to preset mode, and more robust for gigs.

Have fun
Quote by Dazzl1113

I used to own the L6HD500 and imho the GT100 is way better if you gig. Better screen(s), way easier pedal board mode to preset mode, and more robust for gigs.

If you gig, you should have most everything preset. Line 6 has some great software that runs on your computer to let you set up your user presets along set list lines. No issues with robustitude with the Pods, and that includes the HD500 and the Pod HD with a Shortboard Mk II.

I have the Pod HD generally in the backline, where there's a lot less to bother it, with the Shortboard out front. I've been finding used Shortboards for $99 and under, so I've got spares. You can put the Pod HD up between waist and eye level (there's a mount to put it on a mike stand if you'd prefer) and the ONLY thing that runs from the Shortboard to the Pod is a cheap ethernet cable. Your guitar cable runs directly to the backline and there's no AC brick required out front and no extra guitar cable to run from the front of the stage to the back of the stage to be stomped by some pogo-ing bass player. If you've got a wireless, then all that can be damaged is that ethernet cable.

Honestly, I hate to have to bend over or kneel down to see what's on the screen (or make adjustments) on something like the GT100 or the HD500, so the screens on the units themselves are immaterial. it's lots easier for me to see what's going on and have the knobs reachable if the electronics are up higher. But the Shortboard has both a display to tell you what user preset you're running and to give you a tuner display that's easy to see. The Shortboard plus the Pod will send MIDI signals anywhere you need them (I have MIDI keyboards and you can even set them up to play sequenced tracks AND work the lights to go with the music if you want).
The GT-100 is easier to tweak on the fly at a gig to suit the situation. I assign the things I may need to tweak to the eight knobs beneath the screen. The GT-100 is squarely aimed at gigging musicians using it with an amp. The modeling is inferior, sure, but not everybody needs or even wants that.
Last edited by Cathbard at Nov 18, 2014,
I'm constantly bitching about the screens on some of these things. And I'm not talking JUST guitar FX pedals. I have a $4000 Korg Kronos X keyboard that has an 8" 800x600 touch screen that's responsible for a huge chunk of the functionality of the thing. It's non-adjustable for angle (try to find it under a second keyboard above it) and it washes out if you're playing outdoors. Meanwhile, I've got a 15.6" 1920 x 1080 touch screen on an $800 Dell laptop that I'd love to use with this thing and an iPad that's got some stupid high resolution and good brightness as well.

Why in the world are we NOT able to hang one of these things somewhere we can reach it and have a great screen experience available while we're playing? Seems to me that a little Bluetoothery should get things handled, no?
Quote by Cathbard
The GT-100 is easier to tweak on the fly at a gig to suit the situation. I assign the things I may need to tweak to the eight knobs beneath the screen.

Don't think so. You're still kneeling down or bending over to squint at the screen and make tweaks. I put the Pod HD bean up near, well, chest level (the tilted mike stand adapter), and I can check things out and make tweaks with all the knobs available, while having all the foot switching on the floor with the Shortboard Mk II. I can also watch the tuner display right up at eye level, tilted toward me.

with this mounted to it:

And this on the floor:

Last edited by dspellman at Nov 19, 2014,
Yeah but it's one twist of the knob and then hit the write button and it's done. Sure, if it was in a rack you wouldn't have to bend over but hey, I'm an old biker, riddled with arthritis and I can still do it. What's your excuse?
You know you could just get a POD HD Pro and use the L6 floorboard on that right?

If you don't care about modeling, then sure, go for the BOSS. The HD does have a slight bit less "playing live" feel to it, and I'm starting to get the purpose of the BOSS stuff, but I just feel like they really need to overhaul their modeling soon. They have everything else down.
Yeah. Boss stuff is aimed at working musicians. All Roland stuff is really. Most working musicians still use amps. Mated with a good amp, the GT-100 is a good thing. They could have left the modeling out altogether (and maybe they should have. )
Quote by Cathbard
Yeah. Boss stuff is aimed at working musicians. All Roland stuff is really. Most working musicians still use amps. Mated with a good amp, the GT-100 is a good thing. They could have left the modeling out altogether (and maybe they should have. )

It's just, COSM is seriously old, and other companies have updated their modeling like every 3-4 years, so it sounds extremely outdated.

Digital is great with effect type of stuff, because most of that stuff is already mathmatical, so COSM is fine for that, but modeling is trying to recreate a lot of real world variables of an amp, and that stuff has been constantly skyrocketing since like 2007 (less or more) to present.

It's the whole reason why I didn't like PODfarm stuff because it didn't sound as good as the other modelers at that time.

I do know BOSS has good loopers though, and I think you can use a memory stick on it right? I like that about it.
Yeah. COSM is pretty shit. The effects are good though and the layout and ease of programming is second to none. The two screens and assignable knobs are great.
The Soldano model is passable as a backup if my amp blew up but it's not really a substitute you'd use in any other situation. Then again, the Pod, although better, doesn't hold a candle to the SLO module in my RM100. I blow Pods off the stage every other week.
I have the GT-10 and there was no justification to go to the 100 as it was essentially same thing. It can do what the TS asks, the GT-8 can also do it.

BTW, not sure why you guys are complaining about the Cosm , the other stuff sounds just as fake.
I did small jams and gigs with the GT-10 and Orange TT and the recorded results sound wonderful. Maybe the immediacy wasn't as good as all analog rig but besides that it was fine.
Last edited by diabolical at Nov 20, 2014,
Quote by diabolical
I have the GT-10 and there was no justification to go to the 100 as it was essentially same thing. It can do what the TS asks, the GT-8 can also do it.

BTW, not sure why you guys are complaining about the Cosm , the other stuff sounds just as fake.
I did small jams and gigs with the GT-10 and Orange TT and the recorded results sound wonderful. Maybe the immediacy wasn't as good as all analog rig but besides that it was fine.

I really don't think so. The tonality has improved drastically between the POD X3 and POD HD. The only real problem it has is maybe the cabinet simulation. It can sound a bit muddy unless you tweak the deep parameters.

COSM still sounds like old generation modeling which basically sounds more like a distortion effect with an EQ voice to sound like the amp they're trying to sound like.
It's why I didn't like the old PODs because they sounded like that too.

I feel like modeling is at that point where it can actually sound decently like the amp, but there's nuances missing.
Guitars:
Davison SG
Line 6 Variax 600
Line 6 JTV 69s
Squier Classic Bibe Telecaster Thinline
Clayman, the thing is that I still hear the plastic in the other modelers just as much.
Anyway, if you want to hear the GT-10 at its best, check Shawn Drover's "Metalusion".
That kinda made me shut up the deficiency in modeling or maybe it was the analog desk they used to warm the sounds...
The GT-100 has a better user interface than the GT-10.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I was in GC a few hours ago and the GT-100 and the HD500X are the same price there ($499, right?).

Oooh, and they had a standard Pod XT for $99 and a BASS Pod XT Pro (the rack) in perfect shape for $199. I think that last price is a bit high, but those things are nearly impossible to find, and if you're a bass player, they're absolutely awesome. If you're running your bass into the PA or into a set of very flat-response full-range speakers, these model the "baked-in" qualities of some really iconic bass amps really well (want to have your SVT 810 but NOT have to haul 230 lbs of gear in and out of the venue?).
Quote by Clay-man
You know you could just get a POD HD Pro and use the L6 floorboard on that right?

Right. That's in the post two above yours. I use that setup quite a bit.
Quote by Cathbard
Yeah but it's one twist of the knob and then hit the write button and it's done.

Do you do that often during a gig? Or is that your preset routine? That's how the HD works as well, but I've actually set up whole songs with multiple changes on the computer, and then just copied them into the channels and banks in order. I'm sure you can do exactly the same with the GT100, of course. We rarely change the set list unless the person writing the check comes over and says, "You're not going to play __________, are you? Because my bouncers and I really HATE that song..."

Quote by Cathbard
Sure, if it was in a rack you wouldn't have to bend over but hey, I'm an old biker, riddled with arthritis and I can still do it. What's your excuse?

Both the HD Bean and the rack can be run without requiring bending and squinting and genuflecting and kneeling. My spandex is tight enough as is, these days, without inducing a "thread emergency" <G>.

Old bikers never die; they just all smell that way.

Last edited by dspellman at Nov 20, 2014,