Hey everyone. Hope your all doing Ok.

I was wondering, can any amp do metal, if it has a pedal in front of it?

I'm asking this, as we all know the sounds of a High gain amp, used for metal, and I suppose we are quite accustomed to it.

What, if you used for example, a different type of amp, not normally used for metal? Such as a Vox AC30? Would it be possible to get good results with a pedal?
Or is there a reason this is not really done?

I thought it would be pretty cool to use an amp not usually used for that type of thing, to maybe get a different tone to normal.
Certainly not, if all it took was a pedal for metal, we would all have some super cheap amps.

The AC30 is a great amp, a distortion or overdive pedal on front of it would get you a heavy tone. It seems like you are interested in experimenting with different tones, if so I would highly recommend a Line 6 POD HD500x, easy to use and an infinte number of options. However if you are trying to keep it cheap a BOSS SD1 or DS1 would suit you well for starters.
With a decent clean amp, you can get a decent metal tone if you have a decent pedal. But you need to take in the type of speaker and type of speaker enclosure.

I agree if you want to experiment a good MFX could be great.

However if you are going to gig I highly suggest you get the right type of amp.
ok tough ? to definitively answer. any amp well probably not a 5 watt solid state amp with a 6" speaker will most probably sound like crap even with a great pedal in front of it.

now a pedal in front of an AC30 can get you some type of metal sound but it may not be ideal. it's kinda like stuffing a high performance engine into a stock Honda civic and expecting it to beat a Pro made car in NASCAR. sure your Honda will go faster but it will lack some of the features that make those cars what they are. more than just the amp at play for a great metal sound as well. pickups that can give you solid bass response as well as a cab and speakers that can produce those sounds are needed as well.

nothing wrong with experimenting but I wouldn't spend a pile of cash doing it either. there is a reason you don't see modern metal guys using say Fender amps.
Ok, thanks all for the answers. I wasn't thinking of getting an amp like that especially to try it, I've already got one in mind for what I mainly play.

Also, thanks for the answer about experimenting with different tones. I currently own a spider IV, which although crap, suffices for when I want to mess around with some different sounds.
In the future I was looking at the Zoom Multi FX as an alternative, after I've got my main amp. They seem to get pretty good reviews, and the prices aren't too bad.

And monwonwobbo, thats exactly why I asked, because I never see High gain artists using say fenders .
Last edited by conanwarrior at Nov 18, 2014,
As much as you could use a 6505 for blues - yeah, definitely, but a bassman would be a better solution.
Quote by conanwarrior
Ok, thanks all for the answers. I wasn't thinking of getting an amp like that especially to try it, I've already got one in mind for what I mainly play.

Also, thanks for the answer about experimenting with different tones. I currently own a spider IV, which although crap, suffices for when I want to mess around with some different sounds.
In the future I was looking at the Zoom Multi FX as an alternative, after I've got my main amp. They seem to get pretty good reviews, and the prices aren't too bad.

And monwonwobbo, thats exactly why I asked, because I never see High gain artists using say fenders .

right tools for the job always the best way to go. now you might be surprised what gets used in the studio for certain tones. I'm sure some high gain guys have used a fender with stuff in front for a specific sound for a part of a song. live you really won't see that kind of stuff going on. not practical.
Quote by Spambot_2
As much as you could use a 6505 for blues - yeah, definitely, but a bassman would be a better solution.

6505 actually works nicely for dirty blues, as do any number of high gainers, although I understand your point.
Quote by conanwarrior

I was wondering, can any amp do metal, if it has a pedal in front of it?

Absolutely.
Depends on the pedal, of course, but if that includes Multi-FX like a Pod, the answer is "Definitely, absolutely."
Quote by JGM258
Certainly not, if all it took was a pedal for metal, we would all have some super cheap amps. .

A Pod HD (bean) will do metal all day long.
Google "Meambobbo's Tone Guide" for some great high-gain information using Pods.

Here's another thing -- the amps that you can use WITH a Pod are generally less expensive (and wider range) than what you get with your standard combo tube amp. For example, a Carvin PM12A is a 400W (solid state; because you don't need tube distortion if the modeler is already providing that) powered speaker that weighs in at round 30 pounds, has a 12" woofer plus a 1" tweeter and can be used anywhere from tippy-toe bedroom volumes to gigging situations (put it up on an amp stand). $269.
Quote by Robbgnarly

However if you are going to gig I highly suggest you get the right type of amp.

nah. You can slap some boards together and fake a big set of 4x12s; put your Pod (whatever) behind it.

If you're going to gig, what's really far more important is the right kind of guyliner, hair dye and sleeve of tats.
I guess it all depends what tone you are going for. If you wanted to invent a genre called grindpostblackdeathjazzcore where all the guitars sounded like shit you could plug a Boss MT-2 or Behringer pedal into an AC30 and have at it.

Though I'm sure plugging a high end preamp pedal like and Bogner Uberschall pre or a Verellen Skyhammer pre into the FX/power amp in of an AC30 wouldn't sound terrible, as the others have mentioned, it's better to buy the right tools from the start than trying to make the wrong tools work in ways they weren't meant to.
sort of depends on your definitions there- definition of "metal" (and "metal tone"), definition of "do" (as in "can it do metal"?) etc.

Sort of, I'd say. If I were playing a gig and needed lower gain tones for all the songs I was playing bar one, then I reckon I could get a perfectly acceptable metal tone out of a pedal or two for that one song.

if the entire setlist were metal I'd probably want a metal-orientated amp.
I play high-gain metal with an Ampeg GVT52-112, which excels at clean tones and is a low-to-mid gain amp.

I throw a Dr. Boogey distortion pedal in front of it, then boost the distorted signal with a TS-style overdrive to tighten it up, and it becomes a high-gain beast.
Quote by Linkerman
I play high-gain metal with an Ampeg GVT52-112, which excels at clean tones and is a low-to-mid gain amp.

I throw a Dr. Boogey distortion pedal in front of it, then boost the distorted signal with a TS-style overdrive to tighten it up, and it becomes a high-gain beast.

What happens if you put the TS before the dr boogey and then run the boogey gain lower? I would think the TS would sound better first, but who knows
Quote by Watterboy
What happens if you put the TS before the dr boogey and then run the boogey gain lower? I would think the TS would sound better first, but who knows

I used to run the TS before the Dr. Boogey, since it's how it's usually done, until I realized, by comparison, that the Dr. Boogey simply gets a bit more gain that way.

Having the TS after the Dr. Boogey lets you crank the signal with the TS's "level" knob, making it sound more open, fuller and bigger.

EDIT: funny enough, when I go straight to the PA/mixer with a multi-fx unit (simulating a chain of a TS boosting the signal of a Diezel amp, with a noise gate after), I also like to throw my TS-style pedal between the multi-fx unit and the PA/mixer, for the exact same reason -- makes my tone sound more open, fuller and bigger.

I also find useful having the TS-style pedal after my fuzz/distortion for volume jumps for solos.
Last edited by Linkerman at Nov 18, 2014,
I would say yes too. I used to have a 65 fender Bandmaster that I used for metal.

I had a Rat pedal pushing it, and then a Marshall preamp. It sounded tits!

Clean, it was that super nice Fender clean, add whatever dirt you wanted and it sounded good too. Sounded better than a Peavey XXX and louder than it thru the same 2x12.

So if you have a decent amp I agree that all you need is a good preamp/modeler to get the tone/sound you are looking for.

Hell, I can even get a good sound out of my Marshall mini stack with any of my preamps, if I set all the tone knobs to mid. Which tells me the issue with the mini stacks is a garbage preamp.
Quote by danvwman
I would say yes too. I used to have a 65 fender Bandmaster that I used for metal.

I had a Rat pedal pushing it, and then a Marshall preamp. It sounded tits!

Clean, it was that super nice Fender clean, add whatever dirt you wanted and it sounded good too. Sounded better than a Peavey XXX and louder than it thru the same 2x12.

So if you have a decent amp I agree that all you need is a good preamp/modeler to get the tone/sound you are looking for.

Hell, I can even get a good sound out of my Marshall mini stack with any of my preamps, if I set all the tone knobs to mid. Which tells me the issue with the mini stacks is a garbage preamp.

for a while in the 80s I used a 70s master volume Bassman head with a Rat in front for my band. in terms of an acceptable 80s metal sound (think British Steel era Priest or Motley Crue) it worked. wouldn't say that it sounded better than a XXX or my current Ultra though.

I think we all pretty much agree that you can get a "metal" sound from pretty much any half way decent amp. I'd have to ? whether it would be as good as a tone from an amp designed to produce metal sounds. certainly in some cases it would but in others I think it would fall short.
Quote by Arby911
6505 actually works nicely for dirty blues, as do any number of high gainers, although I understand your point.
As I see it the main problem with using a 6505 for blues is, it's usually paired with v30's and I definitely wouldn't play blues with v30's if I had a choice.

Though yeah I can agree it would definitely be usable if paired with greenbacks or similar.
Quote by dspellman
nah. You can slap some boards together and fake a big set of 4x12s; put your Pod (whatever) behind it.

If you're going to gig, what's really far more important is the right kind of guyliner, hair dye and sleeve of tats.
I'd say the first part is exaggerated, but I definitely agree with the second.
Last edited by Spambot_2 at Nov 19, 2014,
Quote by monwobobbo

I think we all pretty much agree that you can get a "metal" sound from pretty much any half way decent amp. I'd have to ? whether it would be as good as a tone from an amp designed to produce metal sounds. certainly in some cases it would but in others I think it would fall short.

Yeah that's sort of what I was implying. If I needed it only very occasionally, I could get by with a non-metal amp plus pedals. If it's the main tone I need, I'm going to want a high gain amp.
Quote by Arby911

Honestly, that mostly depends on what you'd consider a passable dirty blues tone. I know for a lot of the high gain amps I had, lower gain tones were never up to snuff.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Honestly, that mostly depends on what you'd consider a passable dirty blues tone. I know for a lot of the high gain amps I had, lower gain tones were never up to snuff.

my Peavey Ultra works great for that on the crunch channel. not as high gain as a lot of the newer amps though. I know what you mean though which is why I never pursued anything more high gain than that. does a decent gary moore and with some work an acceptable peter green so I'm happy
Quote by monwobobbo
my Peavey Ultra works great for that on the crunch channel. not as high gain as a lot of the newer amps though. I know what you mean though which is why I never pursued anything more high gain than that. does a decent gary moore and with some work an acceptable peter green so I'm happy

The ultra is similar to the Triple XXX right? I had that amp for a bit and I never found it to have anything close to a passable blues tone. Too much gain, way too fizzy on the gain channels. Bass response was much too tight too.

Sure, you can turn the gain down but the character of the amp just isn't bluesy, no matter how many Mayall and Cream licks you rip off and if your magnets are OoP.

Mind you, I'm picky. Super, super picky with blues tones so take that for what it is.
In response to what I meant by metal, I meant anything up to 80s thrash. I'm not in to much new stuff really.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
The ultra is similar to the Triple XXX right? I had that amp for a bit and I never found it to have anything close to a passable blues tone. Too much gain, way too fizzy on the gain channels. Bass response was much too tight too.

Sure, you can turn the gain down but the character of the amp just isn't bluesy, no matter how many Mayall and Cream licks you rip off and if your magnets are OoP.

Mind you, I'm picky. Super, super picky with blues tones so take that for what it is.

predecessor to the JSX. it has 4 preamp tubes so it does the high gain thing just not as much as a 5150/6505. has active tone controls on the drive channels. as I mentioned the crunch channel with the gain most of the way down does just fine. doesn't nail the peter green mayall or Fleetwood mac tone but at least gets me reasonably there. as for stealing his licks, I wish, I can play the notes but have a ways to go to get the feeling that peter does. now of course it's not the same as a marshall bluesbreaker combo cranked to the max and I certainly don't have a 59 Les Paul to use. have to make concessions to neighbors and the mrs. I work with what I've got and although am not super picky I do try my best to take the time to tweak my settings. (by the way I use a BC Rich Eagle to cover my Les Paul needs so god knows what you would think of that blasphemy )
Quote by conanwarrior
In response to what I meant by metal, I meant anything up to 80s thrash. I'm not in to much new stuff really.

ok then Rat in front of most halfway decent amps will get you metal.
Depends on the kind of metal you're doing. I like to think most good amps can get a passable tone for any genre, but it's when you start picking apart those genres and getting into specific subsections of those genres that you need to think more carefully about your amp choice.

I would be perfectly fine running a Fender twin with a fuzz pedal in front of it and using the neck pickup if I wanted to play stoner metal, but that setup just wouldn't fly with the brand of metal that I'm currently writing for.
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
You could... You could drive a nail with almost any hammer also but some hammers will be much better suited than others. Choose the right tool for the job at hand.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY