Hey all,

So I'm interested in getting an interface. I read the guide and did some searches and all the suggested ones... seem the same. I've looked at Mackie Onyx Blackjack, Roland Duo-Capture EX, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, FOCUSRITE SCARLETT SOLO, and Sonos something. Great, except for the Mackie they all have reviews... everyone is happy! Except me... I was hoping most except one would suck and my choice would be easy.

So... the hated question... can anyone speak of their experience with any of those or similar class ones? I'm interested in metal/prog-rock/blues music. I don't have any ambitions for recording the next greatest hit and I basically want something that sounds clear and deep, is convenient to use, and I can practice with easily (particularly recording different chord progressions and running passages over them... I've been using my phone so far).

Many thanks.
I have the 2i4 and I reckon it's great. Any of those will do the job just as well as any other, and 99% of people won't have a clue what you've used (and the rest are probably lying).
I personally have a Steinberg UR22 and I love it, great pre-amps and sound (and 1 midi input, in case you need that). I've heard very good things about the Roland and Scarlett, and they both have direct monitoring, if that's something you're into. Besides that, the most notable spec difference is the UR22 can go to 192kHz, 2i2 can go to 96kHz and the Duo can go up to 48kHz (and honestly, it may not be that noticeable a difference). You can always check the prices to seek the most fit option.
I'd recommend checking how important sampling frequency is to you. Also, if you don't have a DAW already, check out the ones included with the interfaces (UR22 comes with Cubase AI, 2i2 comes with Ableton Live Lite and Duo comes with Sonar LE). That can also be a real game changer!
Anyway, I hope this helps. The UR22 is cheap and has been great to me. A lot of interfaces are great and unexpensive and they do the job well, so relax and pick the one best suited for your needs and budget.
Cheers.
Hi,
This just my personal choice. I use a zoom R24 as my interface with my daws. Has the bonus of being portable, 24 tracks available if you don't want to use it with a daw. can transfer any recording into a daw in perfect time and also works as a Mackie control surface so you can use the sliders on the zoom instead of piddling around with a mouse. The R16 is cheaper and does the same thing. I also sometimes use a Line 6 KB37 if I want a midi keyboard controller. I also have a few other bits of peavey gear and digitech stuff with built in interfaces. The zoom wins hands down every time for ease of use and usefulness. Zero latency too. Very reasonably priced used. Hope that helps, there is more gear to do this job out there than you think.
Thanks a lot for all of your responses! I ended up going with the UR22 because I've had experience with Steinberg/Yamaha and it was a bit cheaper. It took a bit of contemplating between that and the 2i4 and in the end the price was the only thing I could figure out that I knew would matter to me hahaha

First night the usage has been great. I ran it through Guitar Rig + Reaper and the sound was great (if I'm missing something, I still haven't learned what that is ). I spent a while puzzling over why there was such a delay between me playing and hearing it on the monitor track of reaper and then I discovered the 'power button' on the backside...