Right now I use GuitarPro for my composition. The reason I prefer GuitarPro is simply because I find the input method to be FAR more intuitive than any of the other programs for the way I learned to play guitar (tabs first, then note values etc.). I still can't read music, except at the pace of a belabored elderly snail. The problem with GuitarPro is that it limits me greatly on what sounds it can produce, what effects I can use, and recording things to go with it.

I would very much like to move to having FL Studio/Reason being my main compositional platform, but I find piano roll editors to be much slower and more of a hassle. Seems like all of the DAWs skew to fit the needs of piano players and leave the rest of us in the dust. And yes, I've tried composing in GuitarPro and then importing to FL Studio, but my creative process is too dynamic (in that I need to hear the damn instrument before I get anywhere near finalizing the composition) and going back and forth really screws my creative flow. I've tried searching for various things, but my Google-fu is too weak.

So I'm wondering if there are any input options similar to the Tab input of GuitarPro available as a VST plugin that I could use in FL Studio or any alternative which would produce the same end result. No, I cannot play the piano so a MIDI controller is out of the question. Also, I do not have the money to buy a MIDI guitar. As far as software goes, though, I shouldn't have much trouble acquiring it.

TLDR
I WANT TO WRITE MUSIC IN FL STUDIO WITH TABS LIKE I DO IN GUITARPRO

(also, if this is the wrong thread please move me. It's kind of confusing to figure out.)
This is actually something I've been wondering about myself. I hope you've looked around on Google (I will right now). If anybody readily has an answer, plugin or whatever to answer OP's question, then great!

Edit: First few results brought me to this. It doesn't seem to be working with Reaper 4 though :/
Last edited by Eryth at Nov 19, 2014,
Quote by pmuncrief
I still can't read music, except at the pace of a belabored elderly snail.
Then you better practice.
Quote by pmuncrief
TLDR
I WANT TO WRITE MUSIC IN FL STUDIO WITH TABS LIKE I DO IN GUITARPRO
No you can't do that in fl studio.

DAW in which you can do the most similar thing is logic, but it still is pretty different from guitar pro.
You can write the tabs in GP and export the midi files - drop them into Reason and load a VST.

Alternatively, you could just compose on your actual guitar and record your guitar audio in a DAW. Just a thought
Quote by Sid McCall
You can write the tabs in GP and export the midi files - drop them into Reason and load a VST.

Alternatively, you could just compose on your actual guitar and record your guitar audio in a DAW. Just a thought

Exactly what I was going to say.

Not really any other options, honestly.
Reason a piano roll is used, is because it's much more straightforward, and has a bigger range.

Guitar tabs have multiple spots for the same actual midi note, and it's range is nothing compared to a piano.
I may be wrong but I'm sure there's a Fishman device that tabs as you play. Not exactly what you want but it will cut down the tabbing time to export the midi.
Roland midi pick up.

But honestly just using your daw's piano roll is a far better idea. You don't even really need to read music to do it, just know what notes you're playing.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by Sid McCall

GIVE THIS MAN ALL THE MONEY!

Honestly, this is the best solution and likely only one you will find. Works for drums, bass, guitars etc. Works quite well I might add. Have used this in the past for synth parts etc.
I've been grappling with this problem for a few years.

The key editor in DAW's is for piano, not guitar. Since on a guitar the same note can be played on various places on the neck, how do you cater for that? Or where the same note is played at the same time in different places? This just doesn't seem to be addressed and is incredibly frustrating. I don't have the time to invest in practising an instrument, but I love composing music.

Currently I'm looking at step recording with six different MIDI channels for each string linked into the 'Guitar Mode' of a couple virtual instruments. Step Recording across six different tracks is an absolutely laborious way to work and far from ideal, but I don't know of any alternatives.

I'll persist and feed back into this thread if I find anything.
Quote by _Pantheist
I've been grappling with this problem for a few years.

The key editor in DAW's is for piano, not guitar. Since on a guitar the same note can be played on various places on the neck, how do you cater for that? Or where the same note is played at the same time in different places? This just doesn't seem to be addressed and is incredibly frustrating. I don't have the time to invest in practising an instrument, but I love composing music.

Currently I'm looking at step recording with six different MIDI channels for each string linked into the 'Guitar Mode' of a couple virtual instruments. Step Recording across six different tracks is an absolutely laborious way to work and far from ideal, but I don't know of any alternatives.

I'll persist and feed back into this thread if I find anything.

Well when it comes to music, time is everything. You can't expect to produce good results without putting in time behind the board. In fact, I find that time > gear because time = talent. You can't download talent.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite