hey guys!

what do you think of these little amps? which is better at cleans(somehow close to a fender/jazz chorus clean) and any forms of gain but mostly used for brutal high gain metal?
i will be using it for practice and recording and for that "brutal high gain", i will be using pedals such as TM pro, triple wreck, jcm drive and an uberschall.
i'm thinking of pairing it with a 2x12 rectifier cab or 2x12 zilla fatboy or similar. any suggestions?

my budget will be at $700(for the head)
playing style would be around DT, LoG, BMTH, Periphery, Intervals, BFMV and similar, Mutemath and Paramore.

PS
if you are to suggest that i should save cash and buy a used 5150, 6505 or similar save it. the probabilty of finding a used one in my country is one in a million.
If you're going to ask me why not go for a combo, i just like the head and cab setup than the combo.

Orange Signature #4 Jim Root Terror
Orange Dark Terror
Orange OR15H
Egnater Rebel-20 Mark II
Egnater Rebel-30 Mark II
Blackstar HT Metal 5H
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 18
Peavey Valveking II Micro Head 20

Thanks!
high wattage keeps cleans clean longer. none of the oranges would give you good cleans at anywhere near high volume.

i don't like tubemeisters, YMMV, plus (may matter or not, i detect some SS shit in it)

a rebel 30 is your best bet, i owned the old one and a lot of the features were just gimmicky and not really that cool. for example the wattage knob, did not do much.

why all low wattage?
Quote by trashedlostfdup
high wattage keeps cleans clean longer.

hmm i didn't know that. probably didn't research thoroughly.

Quote by trashedlostfdup
why all low wattage?

i guess it's more of a bedroom stuff and i'll be using dirt pedals mainly that's why it's all low wattage? or i'm wrong?

probably i'm wrong after all. anyway, i guess my budget would be maxed at $1000

i'm considering buying 50-100 watt in that price tag just to be sure with the Clean cleans & capability of having a high gain pedal on the fx loop.

these are what i have in mind.

evh 5150 III 50 watt
egnater vengeance
blackstar ht 50
blackstar ht 100
randall diavlo 45
randall diavlo 100
peavey 6505

thanks!
Quote by frostmourne7
hmm i didn't know that. probably didn't research thoroughly.

$

i guess it's more of a bedroom stuff and i'll be using dirt pedals mainly that's why it's all low wattage? or i'm wrong?

probably i'm wrong after all. anyway, i guess my budget would be maxed at $1000

i'm considering buying 50-100 watt in that price tag just to be sure with the Clean cleans & capability of having a high gain pedal on the fx loop.

these are what i have in mind.

evh 5150 III 50 watt
egnater vengeance
blackstar ht 50
blackstar ht 100
randall diavlo 45
randall diavlo 100
peavey 6505

thanks!

i would recommend the EVHIII if you can get a cab. good amps, but the volume jump on the switching sucks.

i personally think that all of the blackstars HT are lacking in tone, overpriced, and i don't know for sure but i am not sure if they are all tube. i think not.

peavey JSX's are nice, much better cleans than the 6505, which IMO has rather poor cleans.

maybe you should look for a Mesa MKIV?i paid $780 for mine and i love it. excellent cleans, the other two channels sound good too. HOWEVER you may want a pedal for the OD's. honestly i haven't looked back since i got it.

headroom is the amount of volume you reach until the tubes start naturally overdrive. there is a reason twins and bassmans and that is because they were built to stay clean long.

my 18watter (1974x) clone, gets nice and down and dirty times when i turn it up and up and up. it breaks up beautifully and musically.
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Nov 19, 2014,
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i would recommend the EVHIII if you can get a cab. good amps, but the volume jump on the switching sucks.

you mean like turning it on you get that volume jump? or channel switching? have you tried one? specially the cleans with some delays, reverbs and clean boost? how about the gain stuff? maybe i'll put it on my #1 list but only the 50watt version because i just can't go higher than $1k if i'm going to use dirt pedals mainly.

Quote by trashedlostfdup
i personally think that all of the blackstars HT are lacking in tone, overpriced, and i don't know for sure but i am not sure if they are all tube. i think not.

agree with the overpricing though i'm not sure with the tube thing.

Quote by trashedlostfdup
peavey JSX's are nice, much better cleans than the 6505, which IMO has rather poor cleans.

maybe you should look for a Mesa MKIV?i paid $780 for mine and i love it. excellent cleans, the other two channels sound good too. HOWEVER you may want a pedal for the OD's. honestly i haven't looked back since i got it.

honestly, i'd love to try those amps but unfortunately i think i can't find any JSX around my country anymore. new or used.

also, mesa/boogie products just went in the country for like 2-3 years ago so probably i won't find that anywhere. if ebay is the last resort, maybe i'll pass. lol
The EVH 5150 III would be a great choice and you would have to use minimal pedals to get the tones you want.

Yes there is a slight volume difference in CH1 and CH2 (they share the same EQ section) but if you use a MFX that has MIDI switching you can program the amp with the MFX and it will not have any volume spike at all. I have tried the 5150III mini and the volume jump did not bother me at all.

Just so you know the old Peavey Ultra+ are very,very similar to the JSX. The new Peavey XXX II is the exact same amp as the JSX with a new name (since Joe Satriani left Peavey)
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Nov 19, 2014,
Unless you're going to do lots of gigs where micing the amp isn't an option, a 15-20 watt amp will be loud and clean enough for both gigging and bedroom practice. A 50-100 watt amp is overkill for bedroom use. My 60 watt Fender Hot Rod DeVille never went past 1.5 out of 12 volume for gigs. It isn't a bedroom amp at all. I recently purchased a Laney Ironheart Studio which is 15 watts. It's my best guitar purchase in a long time. Loud enough for small gigs unmic'd. Quiet enough for bedroom use. It can be mic'd for all other situations. 50-100 watt heads are awesome but unless you play massive venues with no house PA or fork out on an attenuator you won't be getting the most out of them. The EVH 5150 III is the exception in your case, as some models have a wattage dial, so you can chose what wattage it runs at from 1W-50 or 100W. Laney Ironheart heads also have a wattage dial too but the cleans may not be what you're after.
Quote by G-Dog_666
50-100 watt heads are awesome but unless you play massive venues with no house PA or fork out on an attenuator you won't be getting the most out of them.
Nah this is bs, stuff sounds better because it sounds louder, not 'cause you're using more of the relative power of an amp, and if you want power tube distortion 5w is still pretty loud.

Get an amp because it sounds good and use the volume control TS.

I second the 5150 III suggestion, then the ironball if you can't find a 5150 for that price.
Quote by Spambot_2
Nah this is bs, stuff sounds better because it sounds louder, not 'cause you're using more of the relative power of an amp, and if you want power tube distortion 5w is still pretty loud.

Get an amp because it sounds good and use the volume control TS.

I second the 5150 III suggestion, then the ironball if you can't find a 5150 for that price.

This. Just because an amp has more wattage and a higher volume capability does not make it "overkill" for bedroom use in my opinion. It is just going to have its own sound and reaction to the volume knob vs a low wattage amp.
Quote by G-Dog_666
Unless you're going to do lots of gigs where micing the amp isn't an option, a 15-20 watt amp will be loud and clean enough for both gigging and bedroom practice. A 50-100 watt amp is overkill for bedroom use. My 60 watt Fender Hot Rod DeVille never went past 1.5 out of 12 volume for gigs. It isn't a bedroom amp at all. I recently purchased a Laney Ironheart Studio which is 15 watts. It's my best guitar purchase in a long time. Loud enough for small gigs unmic'd. Quiet enough for bedroom use. It can be mic'd for all other situations. 50-100 watt heads are awesome but unless you play massive venues with no house PA or fork out on an attenuator you won't be getting the most out of them. The EVH 5150 III is the exception in your case, as some models have a wattage dial, so you can chose what wattage it runs at from 1W-50 or 100W. Laney Ironheart heads also have a wattage dial too but the cleans may not be what you're after.

Wrong.

I use a 50 watt Ampeg in my bedroom, and even at low volumes sounds better than a lot of low-wattage amps. I get the most of it wether it is cranked or turned down low, it always sounds great.

Hell, it even has a switch to choose between 25 and 50 watts, and I have it in 50 watts mode all the time.
I have to agree with Linkerman on this. As the volume goes up on these little amps, the bass response disappears. They're fine for doing lead lines on the top three strings , and you can get some nice powertube distortion, but if you're doing anything with the bottom three strings (and, say a 2x12), there's no ooomph there, and a 2x12 cabinet becomes meaningless. There's a reason, of course; it takes four times the volume of air movement to produce the same volume as the note an octave above it.

A 50 or 100W amp definitely isn't overkill. It's not a case of using the thing blisteringly loud; it's more a case of having enough power to reproduce the sound spectrum including solid, tight bottom end. I have a pair of ordinary recording monitors (KRK Rokit 8's) that I use with a Pod. Each of them has an 8" woofer that will reproduce down to around 40Hz (most guitar speakers give up at 110Hz or so, but the low E on a six-string is 82Hz and if you're using a 7-string or if you're downtuning, lower than that)), and each of those speakers has a 100W amp built in. A lot of folks are shifting to a modeler with a powered speaker, and one example of those is the Carvin PM12A, based on a single 12" woofer and a 1" tweeter, with 400W (RMS, not "peak") of power available. In their bedrooms. Not overkill.
Quote by G-Dog_666

You are 100% wrong

Sucks don't it
I'm only speaking from my personal experience. I didn't say the 50-100 watt amps sounded bad at low volume or sound worse than lower wattage amps. It's just my experience that they're not as practical for lower volume use. Your mileage obviously varies.
Guitars:
EVH Wolfgang Special LH
Gibson Les Paul Studio 2013
Ibanez EW20LASE-NT LH

Effects:
BOSS GT-100

Amps:
Fender Hot Rod DeVille 410
Laney IRT Studio + 112 cab
Quote by G-Dog_666
I'm only speaking from my personal experience. I didn't say the 50-100 watt amps sounded bad at low volume or sound worse than lower wattage amps. It's just my experience that they're not as practical for lower volume use. Your mileage obviously varies.

Any amp with a decent MV can be used at low volumes weather it be a 5 watt or a 200 watt. And lots of times the bigger amps actually sound better than the low wattage versions.

So your speaking from LACK of experience, not actual experience
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
You are 100% wrong

Sucks don't it

people need to learn that then they don't know something is to stick their foot in their mouth.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/