i've been playing the guitar for 3 years and it's time i need to upgrade my amp. i use an Epiphone SG Special and i'm thinking of buying a solid state 30 watts Marshall MG30CFX (i'm just a student and don't have enough cash to buy a valve) or a Line 6 Spyder IV 75 watts. The thing is, the music shop in my neighbourhood is putting the Line 6 on a special offer and it's as cheap as the Marshall (though a little bit more expensive).

I'm gonna try these two amps when i have enough money but before that, can you guys give me opinions on these two amps?

I'm a big fan of Slash. My other guitar heroes include Jimmy Page, David Gilmour, Tony Iommi and Prince. So a Slash-tone and rock/hard rock is what i want to play.

Btw, i'm also planning on buying a compression pedal so that my hammer-ons and pull-offs sound more even. Is BOSS really that good? I heard they're durable but do they sound nice? i'll try a few different brands before i buy though, but if anyone can suggest a nice pedal or two that would be great.
I have no personal experience of either of those amps, but they are both regularly slammed on here so don't expect much useful feedback. Not that that really means anything as it's just others personal preference, but maybe follow judists advice, give some more background and allow for people to make some better suggestions for you.
No you don't want a spyder nor you want an mg.
They sound bad.

Follow the judist's link and give us more info.

To make pull off's and hammer on's more even you gotta practice.
Then, after you practiced a lot, you may as well get a compressor.
Compressors in guitar pedals either suck or are overpriced, and you don't really care if a compressor sucks if you're playing guitar so boss' good enough if ya ask me.
Quote by Sol1061
i've been playing the guitar for 3 years and it's time i need to upgrade my amp. i use an Epiphone SG Special and i'm thinking of buying a solid state 30 watts Marshall MG30CFX (i'm just a student and don't have enough cash to buy a valve) or a Line 6 Spyder IV 75 watts. The thing is, the music shop in my neighbourhood is putting the Line 6 on a special offer and it's as cheap as the Marshall (though a little bit more expensive).

I'm gonna try these two amps when i have enough money but before that, can you guys give me opinions on these two amps?

I'm a big fan of Slash. My other guitar heroes include Jimmy Page, David Gilmour, Tony Iommi and Prince. So a Slash-tone and rock/hard rock is what i want to play.

Btw, i'm also planning on buying a compression pedal so that my hammer-ons and pull-offs sound more even. Is BOSS really that good? I heard they're durable but do they sound nice? i'll try a few different brands before i buy though, but if anyone can suggest a nice pedal or two that would be great.

ok get a Peavy Vypyr over either of the amps mentioned. slash tone not found in MG series marshall and Line 6's cheap amps aren't very good. also keep an eye out for something like a Peavy Valveking used as that would be a far better option. as for the compressor that really won't help much with hammer-ons and pull-offs practice will.
Since you're looking at that version of the Marshall MG, I'm assuming that you're looking for a bedroom practice amp ? If not please correct me.

But if you're looking for an amp that size, try looking into the roland cube 20 or peavey vypyr 15. I feel like they're more versatile, reliable, and have a more clearer and focused sound than a spyder or MG. I'll leave a link to both below and tell me what you think!

The Cube 20 XL:
(It's not in english but it's mostly guitar anyway. Highly recommend that you watch this all the way through)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHPnEBWIkPo

Peavey Vypyr 15 OR Peavey Vypyr vip 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QBTQVu3wB4

** The cube is way easier to use than the vypyr 15. And the vypyr 15 is a little easier to use than the vypyr VIP but the more difficult ones have more features. Do some research and I hope i was some kind of help
I swear by roland cubes.tons of different tones and effects all in one place for a decent price.
Quote by Sol1061

Btw, i'm also planning on buying a compression pedal so that my hammer-ons and pull-offs sound more even.

Practice is what makes your hammer-ons and pull-offs sound more even. A compressor is good for some things, but it makes a crappy crutch for lack of practice.
Oh, and the Spyder's just fine. Line 6 has sold well over a million of them, more than any other amp or amp manufacturer. They get trashed a bit because it's been the beginner amp for so many people, and once they've got some money to spend, they're above all that. <G>.

Internet forums are full of people who've never actually touched either amp that you're looking at, but who will parrot someone else's opinion as if it were their own.
Quote by dspellman
Oh, and the Spyder's just fine. Line 6 has sold well over a million of them, more than any other amp or amp manufacturer. They get trashed a bit because it's been the beginner amp for so many people, and once they've got some money to spend, they're above all that. <G>.

Internet forums are full of people who've never actually touched either amp that you're looking at, but who will parrot someone else's opinion as if it were their own.

selling a million doesn't mean they are actually all that good. now I agree that they aren't the worst but I have found that they that Line 6 seems to be falling behind to Peavey and Fender in the lower end modeling amp dept ( things like the POD and high end amps are still excellent and recommended). the marshall is disappointing on many levels. I have played through all of what I mentioned so feel that I can give a decent opinion (of course it is just that my opinion).

I try as hard as I can to give recommendations based on the OPs needs and budget and not be swayed by what you mentioned. sure I plug things I use (who doesn't) but only if they fit the need.
Quote by monwobobbo
selling a million doesn't mean they are actually all that good. now I agree that they aren't the worst but I have found that they that Line 6 seems to be falling behind to Peavey and Fender in the lower end modeling amp dept ( things like the POD and high end amps are still excellent and recommended). the marshall is disappointing on many levels. I have played through all of what I mentioned so feel that I can give a decent opinion (of course it is just that my opinion).

I try as hard as I can to give recommendations based on the OPs needs and budget and not be swayed by what you mentioned. sure I plug things I use (who doesn't) but only if they fit the need.

That wasn't aimed at you. But within the replies here, there's at least one that starts out, "I've got no person experience with either of these amps, but..."

Both the Peavey and the Fender (Mustang) were introduced specifically to offer an alternative to the Spiders. I actually find all three adequate, and it really depends on personal taste, budget and availability.

I have a feeling that Line 6 may be getting ready to introduce some lower end amps that build on their Amplifi products. Something like that could send Fender and Peavey scrambling again.
Last edited by dspellman at Nov 19, 2014,
Quote by dspellman
That wasn't aimed at you. But within the replies here, there's at least one that starts out, "I've got no person experience with either of these amps, but..."

Both the Peavey and the Fender (Mustang) were introduced specifically to offer an alternative to the Spiders. I actually find all three adequate, and it really depends on personal taste, budget and availability.

I have a feeling that Line 6 may be getting ready to introduce some lower end amps that build on their Amplifi products. Something like that could send Fender and Peavey scrambling again.

I know that wasn't aimed at me (well I hoped at least, I get called out as much as anybody) but figured I'd say what I did anyway. more to make a point. I agree that more than a few guys comment on things that they have little or no experience with which is kinda dumb. there certainly is a ton of recycled nonsense on these (and other) boards as well.

better amps from Line 6 would be a good thing and keeping the others on there toes only benefits us so I hope they do.
i don't think either sound good IMO i have an MG15 somewhere. spiders are just shit. i had to play at a battle of the bands a few years ago, and they set the stage up for everybody. two 4x12" cabs and two spider heads, they con't cut through that well. they are the 'have to get by with no other option.took third place from around a dozen or maybe a few more, but they were hard to cut through.

so i have some experience with both. i would scour the web for a vypyr tube.
Quote by nor.omar.9
Since you're looking at that version of the Marshall MG, I'm assuming that you're looking for a bedroom practice amp ? If not please correct me.

But if you're looking for an amp that size, try looking into the roland cube 20 or peavey vypyr 15. I feel like they're more versatile, reliable, and have a more clearer and focused sound than a spyder or MG. I'll leave a link to both below and tell me what you think!

The Cube 20 XL:
(It's not in english but it's mostly guitar anyway. Highly recommend that you watch this all the way through)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHPnEBWIkPo

Peavey Vypyr 15 OR Peavey Vypyr vip 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QBTQVu3wB4

** The cube is way easier to use than the vypyr 15. And the vypyr 15 is a little easier to use than the vypyr VIP but the more difficult ones have more features. Do some research and I hope i was some kind of help

Actually, im looking for an amp for stage use. Im in a band and i play lead guitar. I've searched the internet and a lot of people said amps around 30watts would be enough if it were mic'd. I'll look for the Vypyrs and the Cubes but do they have a wattage around 30?

Yea i need an amp that can really cut through the band's sound when i play solos. But on your opinion, for stage use, what wattages are the best when mic'd? Btw thanks everyone for the help!!
Budget: RM1000-1300
Genre: Hard rock/rock (Slash, David Gilmour, Jimmy Page, Tony Iommi and Prince are my fav guitarist)
I'd prefer a brand new amp.
I want an amp that i can use onstage. Though i can't buy an amp thats too big cuz it would cost a lot. I'm planning on having my amp mic'd on stage.
My closest city is Kota Kinabalu, Sabah in Malaysia.
Current Gear: Epiphone SG Special Model, Beta Alvin BM6 15Watt
Best I can suggest is a Laney Cub 12R. It's a slightly over your budget though. 15W tube amp will be plenty to play on stage if it's going to be miced up. As the others suggested the Vypyr is alright as well.

I would also suggest opening up to used gear if you can find it in Malaysia. You'll get a lot more bang for your buck.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by TheStig1214
Best I can suggest is a Laney Cub 12R. It's a slightly over your budget though. 15W tube amp will be plenty to play on stage if it's going to be miced up. As the others suggested the Vypyr is alright as well.

I would also suggest opening up to used gear if you can find it in Malaysia. You'll get a lot more bang for your buck.

Thanks!! So which used amps are good? Can you suggest some?
Quote by Sol1061
Actually, im looking for an amp for stage use. Im in a band and i play lead guitar. I've searched the internet and a lot of people said amps around 30watts would be enough if it were mic'd. I'll look for the Vypyrs and the Cubes but do they have a wattage around 30?

Yea i need an amp that can really cut through the band's sound when i play solos. But on your opinion, for stage use, what wattages are the best when mic'd? Btw thanks everyone for the help!!

30 watts for a tube amp yes for those sorry but not so much. yes an amp can be mic'd but you will have a hell of a time hearing yourself unless the monitoring on the PA you are going though is good. without a PA you will once again have a tough time hearing your self over the drums for practice.