Page 1 of 2
I was thinking the other day about the many skills I've invested time in learning that are simply no longer relevant this day and age.

Time learning to write neatly, for example, simply has no value in modern society. I wasted a large amount of time learning to play guitar but thanks to the continual advances in modern technology this is an antiquated skill. I imagine pianists and singers must feel the same way.

What's the coolest thing that you can do that's worthless this day and age?
Yeah, digital advances like autotune have made it a pretty redundant skill nowadays
Quote by teegman
Yeah, digital advances like autotune have made it a pretty redundant skill nowadays

You're an idiot.
All those knots I learned to tie in Boy Scouts to become an Eagle scout. Also the morse code I learned to get a ham radio license and the FCC Third Class license I had to pass a test for to become a DJ at a commercial radio station. The big winner is the years I spent playing trumpet in both grammer school and high school. As soon as high school was over the trumpet went into the closet and never reappeared. All pretty much useless stuff that I spent hundreds of hours learning.
I used to have decent penmanship, but I haven't needed to write anything significantly lengthy by hand in forever.

I used to learn judo, and it did have its uses when I was being bullied in school. But these days? Nah.

Also, learning how to tie knots. My family has owned a few boats over the years and knowing how to tie knots certainly had its uses, but these days we haven't owned a boat in over 10 years.

Too many people on this thread are posting hobby-related skills that never had a very practical use to begin with.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Nov 19, 2014,
Quote by teegman
I was thinking the other day about the many skills I've invested time in learning that are simply no longer relevant this day and age.

Time learning to write neatly, for example, simply has no value in modern society. I wasted a large amount of time learning to play guitar but thanks to the continual advances in modern technology this is an antiquated skill. I imagine pianists and singers must feel the same way.

What's the coolest thing that you can do that's worthless this day and age?

The fuck I do.

Are you saying that just because there's another way of doing things it's completely redundant? 8 years of piano lessons haven't been wasted because the masses don't care for it anymore, there's enough of us who enjoy real instruments for it to find way into someone's life.

Also it helps you get laid.
Dunno if this counts, but I can literally go like an 8 hour school day, without saying a word (well besides choir obv).
Quote by Pastafarian96
The fuck I do.

Are you saying that just because there's another way of doing things it's completely redundant? 8 years of piano lessons haven't been wasted because the masses don't care for it anymore, there's enough of us who enjoy real instruments for it to find way into someone's life.

Add to that the fact that a debate about redundancy in art/entertainment is pretty much useless anyway.

It's like saying bouncy castles are redundant because more people have a trampoline.
Wait until you are older. You care less about the newest thing on the block, and learn to appreciate stuff for what it's worth, and not for it's place in current time.
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Nov 19, 2014,
I have good navigation skills, now google maps.

Once I was traveling and there was no cell reception, but I figured with the sun in our back, we should be good, and we got at the right spot.

The people I was with were skeptical... Not because they didn't know the sun's orbit, but the fear of not being able to check their phone or it. It made them almost paranoid if we actually walked right, even though the sun was perfectly visible.

You might think, well 'doh', but you be surprised how many people are insta-panicky-confused when their phone doesn't work.
Quote by xxdarrenxx
Wait until you are older. You care less about the newest thing on the block, and learn to appreciate stuff for what it's worth, and not for it's place in current time.

Quote by teegman
"Oh man a majiger that imitates what I'm doing oh man I should just kill myself now."

OT: I'd say playing the guitar, but it's still useful considering I'm helping people by making tabs, so nothing.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

I like both, but the mindset of discriminating one over another is a disrespect to your emotions and logic, in that you artificially deprive yourself of stimuli, that could potentially make you feel better, or more knowledgeable.

Only logic behind that is if opening yourself up to that stuff, makes you feel bad, or makes you dumb, but then you just have a weak mind, and I feel sad for you...

..or a youngster mind, hence my post. Young people want to be with the new stuff, it's probably made by or reckoned to be cool by their peers (generation), and is a vital part of identity creation, to ensure the best possibility for a regular life in society. Nothing wrong with that. They are the future of our race!
Learning taekwondo. It definitely improved my confidence as a child when I was learning it but now I have no use for it.

On the other hand it impresses people when I tell them I'm a black belt so maybe it is useful, just not for its intended purpose.
Quote by guitarxo
Learning taekwondo. It definitely improved my confidence as a child when I was learning it but now I have no use for it.

On the other hand it impresses people when I tell them I'm a black belt so maybe it is useful, just not for its intended purpose.

I did Taekwondo as well.

It depends, for me it made me get rid of negative energy, and made me more at ease, and afterwards somewhat appreciate stuff more, and help my concentration.

Black belt is far more impressive than I did. I got Green in Judo though and 2 years of teng su do (predecessor of Taekwondo)

I mostly changed this in for sex, as you can get a relatively same endorfine pump, but with the added sexual bonuses.
Quote by theogonia777
being a nice guy

Who knows..

Maybe someday you can talk some kid out of a suicide.

It offcourse depends on what you consider relevant.

In what way did it use to be relevant?
Quote by Jehannum
Calculating pressure losses in pipework. All done by apps now.

Zombie apocalypse #believe
Quote by xxdarrenxx
Who knows..

Maybe someday you can talk some kid out of a suicide.

It offcourse depends on what you consider relevant.

In what way did it use to be relevant?

no i mean endtherapture

he thought if he was a nice guy he could pick up chicks

but he gets rejected all the time

and that is why he is always so sexist
Quote by theogonia777
no i mean endtherapture

he thought if he was a nice guy he could pick up chicks

but he gets rejected all the time

and that is why he is always so sexist

Is this 3rd person talk detrimental to ur persona as a sexist
I took one taekwondo class when I was little. My older brother did it so I wanted to do it as well. It ended up with everyone running a few laps as warm-up, me only finishing one lap and then crying and peeing my pants. That was fun.
Quote by Jehannum
Calculating pressure losses in pipework. All done by apps now.

Preach it!

Pretty much all the mathematics of fluid mechanics that I learned is now useless as we just stick it in computer boxes.
I'm really good at posting on UG, but that's slowly becoming irrelevant, as I'm a multi of like half the active users already

Soon it'll just be me in thirty different names
Quote by xxdarrenxx
I did Taekwondo as well.

It depends, for me it made me get rid of negative energy, and made me more at ease, and afterwards somewhat appreciate stuff more, and help my concentration.

Black belt is far more impressive than I did. I got Green in Judo though and 2 years of teng su do (predecessor of Taekwondo)

I mostly changed this in for sex, as you can get a relatively same endorfine pump, but with the added sexual bonuses.

I did it when I was very young and I wasn't self-aware enough to notice any changes like the ones you said, though that's how I feel when I do any exercise in general now. But I did look forward to my classes because they were fun and I got to kick people bigger than me without any repercussions.
I'm reasonably skillful with a sling, but that hasn't been a relevant weapon for about 1500 years. Damned few giants around these days.....
Quote by Baby Joel
I'm really good at posting on UG, but that's slowly becoming irrelevant, as I'm a multi of like half the active users already

Soon it'll just be me in thirty different names

Wait... I'm we're you're not you us me as well am I are we are you?
Quote by Pastafarian96
The fuck I do.

how does a piano get you laid though.
I imagine I could bring a guitar on a date, but you'd already have to bring her to your house to whip out the piano, and afterwards, the penis, but the fact she came home with you would probably already suggest that you'd seal the deal beforehand.
I'm a singer, guitarist, and I can kind of play the piano and I find this offensive.

ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

No, but for real, these skills are still relevant, that's a load of bollocks, as represented by the above illustration.
Back in the day, I used to play the original Animal Crossing all the time. I would search the internet for codes, holidays, tips, cheats, etc and print them out. I made a personal binder of everything I could find out about Animal Crossing. It contained FAQs, walkthroughs, and some other stuff I can't remember. I still own it, though. I don't know how many pages it is, but I know that it has at least 3 walkthroughs. So it's pretty long.

I guess it's not really a skill, but it's pretty useless.
Last edited by songbird64 at Nov 19, 2014,
Quote by Pastafarian96

Not to mention the purpose of playing an instrument for most players is the feeling of joy you get from playing it. Instruments are more than just tools for mass entertainment.
Quote by Pastafarian96
The fuck I do.

Quote by rickyj
Not to mention the purpose of playing an instrument for most players is the feeling of joy you get from playing it. Instruments are more than just tools for mass entertainment.

Let me relieve your anxieties by asking you to click on teegman's profile and reading the comments in it.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Nov 19, 2014,
Bowled seriously @ a semi-pro level - 3 leagues a week/tournament play and maintained a 200+ average.... back surgery for herniated disks took care of that.... Used to kick everybodys arse @ phooseball as well (most useless skill I ever had LOL)
Page 1 of 2