Howdy everyone.

I currently have an accoustic kit and am thinking of switching to an electronic kit, for reasons including space, different drum sounds without having to fork out huge amounts on new gear.
My question is simple, is it worth switching and also i hit very hard, would a kit withstand it?
The kit i am looking at is this...
http://www.thomann.de/gb/millenium_mps200_toontrack_drum_bundle.htm
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
I'm interested in the replies to this thread.

It's cheap, if it's good I may buy one too.
No experience with that kit, but I've owned several electrics in the past (own a TD-6SX now). For me, it's mesh pads or nothing. Those rubber pads feel terrible and I actually find that I play better on mesh pads than I do on a real kit. Rubber is fine on the kick drum, I don't like a ton of rebound there and I found the mesh kicks to be too bouncy for me.

Cymbals vary a lot. Don't expect them to really work the way real cymbals would. This is where electrics fall short for me, because you usually have to buy top of the line for cymbals that utilize all the zones when triggered (plus you have to have a brain that supports them). The main reason I switched back to an acoustic kit for practice is because the feel of the cymbals is completely different and they just feel wrong under the stick.
Quote by MatrixClaw
No experience with that kit, but I've owned several electrics in the past (own a TD-6SX now). For me, it's mesh pads or nothing. Those rubber pads feel terrible and I actually find that I play better on mesh pads than I do on a real kit. Rubber is fine on the kick drum, I don't like a ton of rebound there and I found the mesh kicks to be too bouncy for me.

Cymbals vary a lot. Don't expect them to really work the way real cymbals would. This is where electrics fall short for me, because you usually have to buy top of the line for cymbals that utilize all the zones when triggered (plus you have to have a brain that supports them). The main reason I switched back to an acoustic kit for practice is because the feel of the cymbals is completely different and they just feel wrong under the stick.

Would you say the feel of the cymbals grows on you after a while or is it a deal breaker?
Sorry for the late reply...

Not a deal breaker for me, personally. I use my kit to practice on and record ideas with. It does feel quite a bit different once you move to a real kit, because the response is totally different, but I don't really feel like the rubber cymbals really hinder my playing - they just limit what I can do.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by The9
Would you say the feel of the cymbals grows on you after a while or is it a deal breaker?

Nah it doesn't really grow on you, I've had a TD-4 for over 4 years now. They're never going to feel like a real cymbal on any kit (except for maybe the super-expensive and horrible sounding gen16s) since they don't swing much if at all, and are also a lot thicker due to having all the electrical gubbins inside. However you do get used to them and take them for what they are, I learnt exclusively on the TD-4 for the first year and it hasn't hindered me in the long run, but you will have to adjust to real cymbals if you've never used them before
Yeah you can't hit the cymbal and then mute it. I use to do that a lot when i had a acoustic kit but Its just not electronically possible. Unless you hit the high hat and close it. What I did was buy kits that was good deals each on craigslist. So I'm running a yammaha module and an alesis module to a fender mustang amp. Its perks being it wont disturb your neighbors. That looks like a pretty good deal for that. It looks like a Simmons mixed with Alesis. Even though its not.
Last edited by mabbamam at Dec 3, 2014,
Quote by mabbamam
Yeah you can't hit the cymbal and then mute it.

Eeerrrmmm.... Yes you can. My TD-4 can, so I assume pretty much all the newer Roland models will too
Quote by Lordyboy
Eeerrrmmm.... Yes you can. My TD-4 can, so I assume pretty much all the newer Roland models will too

I'll be damned. Looks like I need to upgrade Lol
Quote by Lordyboy

Yep, my TD-6 can, too.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com