Hey all, I'm looking for some new pickups for my Agile AL-3000M. The pickups right now just don't really sound special if that makes any sense. They're kinda boring and I just want something with more mojo. I play a lot of classic rock, pop-punk, alternative-rock, and pop-rock. Mostly stuff from Paramore and that sort of genre as well as some 80's rock. Also, I lead worship at my church, so at least one of the pickups needs to be up for that. I need a bridge that sounds great for the sort of "Ain't it Fun" riffs as well as solid crunch for open chords. The neck needs to be smooth and creamy for solos and flying leads, as well as clean up well. My biggest thing is that both pickups are VERY, VERY articulate and I"m not losing any clarity. Unfortunatley, I can't afford Bareknuckles or that sort of thing, so they'll have to be in the Duncan/ Dimarzio sort of price range. Thanks
Quote by randomguitar56
Hey all, I'm looking for some new pickups for my Agile AL-3000M. The pickups right now just don't really sound special if that makes any sense. They're kinda boring and I just want something with more mojo.

I think the pickups are fine, and that your amp may be the issue. I'm not putting it down, except that I think it may not be your first choice for your music. I'll let someone else chime in on that, however.

I've got three Agile ALs, including a 3100, and those are actually some pretty darned good pickups. I'd very much suggest trying your guitar through other amps before you decide that it's the pickups that are boring. But if you're dying to spend money...

I'm not a fan of the typical SD catchalls. They work, but they're not much of a variant from what you already have.

My first suggestion for a bridge pickup for what you do would be a Suhr Aldrich. This is one pickup that you do NOT want to judge from the specs; you definitely want to play one. One of the best rock and roll pickups I've played. Second suggestion would be a Carvin M22SD, a 13Kohm Alnico V pickup that also, by the way, coil splits beautifully. And finally, if you can find a Gibson 57 that's outputting around 9.2Khz (this is hotter than a standard '57 by a noticeable amount), you'll have something that does gorgeous singing leads.

Neck pickup (and these will seem off the beaten path: One of my all-time favorites is actually a Dimarzio Fast Track II, which is a single coil size humbucker of about 18K output. It's designed as a hot bridge pickup for a strat (you'll need an adapter to put it in a standard humbucker ring) and it will probably be louder than whatever you have in the bridge. This is a good thing. The other good thing is that it is NOT muddy, as are most standard-size neck humbuckers. That's partly due to its single-coil size, since one of the main causes of mud on neck NB pickups has to do with the distance between the coils. Another good one is the Carvin C22N or J. Carvin somehow does a good job with these. And finally, you might look at the Seymour Duncan P-Rails, particularly the ones they designate as "bridge" pickups (which are hotter than the "neck" pickup they offer). With switching, you have a real rail coil pickup, a real P90 coil pickup, a serial humbucker (combines the two coils) and a parallel humbucking mode.
Once you sort out your amp- if that is the problem- I'd check out:

SD '59
Lace Alumitone
Tesla OPUS HB
RailHammer HyperVintage

All in your price range, and might do the job in either position.

You might also investigate HB-sized P90s. I know RailHammer makes the Gnarly 90 and Tel90, and I'm sure SD makes one as well.
I like the sound I'm getting from my amp and guitar for the most part, it's just that the pickups (at least IMO) aren't dynamic or articulate. Chords sound great, but single notes aren't very distinct to my ears.
This may sound a bit unconventional, but check out a DiMarzio Super Distortion for the bridge and a Liquifire for the neck.

Keep em a bit low so you don't get overpowering output or anything.
Quote by Offworld92
This may sound a bit unconventional, but check out a DiMarzio Super Distortion for the bridge and a Liquifire for the neck.

Keep em a bit low so you don't get overpowering output or anything.

+3.1415 on the Liquifire in the neck. they are pretty smooth and still cut through the mix great.

also Dimarzio has a one time swap if you don't like what you got. you sent them in, they send you something different. so worst case scenario, round two to test it out.
Try some humbucker sized P90s. I have a Les Paul with P90s and they really fit the guitar. They have a lot off clarity and bite like a single coil, but they handle distortion like a humbucker.

The only downside, as far as im concerned, is the 60 cycle hum. If you can stand that, though, P90s are great pickups for every style except high gain, detuned metal.

GFS makes a good variety of P90 sized humbuckers for a great price (I reccomend the Mean 90s), but a lot of companies like Seymour Duncan, Gibson, and Lollar make them if you're willing to spend the extra cash.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Last edited by Jhachey22 at Nov 22, 2014,