Hello, I'm looking to buy a guitar around Christmas. my budget is $300, and I'd like to know if I could find some opinions on the AL-2000, as it seems it would be perfect for my playing style. Despite this, I've heard you can also find mexican made telecasters by fender for quite cheap, and if this is the case I may be more swayed by those. Would I be able to find a Mexican Made telecaster for that price? And if not, for someone who's been playing guitar for a year and that's been stuck on a broken fender squire, would the AL-2000 be right for me? I can list some songs/types of music I like to listen to below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kL8IvOILc50
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2Hhk2E7DxM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtOO0t9JXGs&index=6&list=FLYcVT86118wRoF-JCZ-N_hg
You can definitely find MIM Teles for $300 used.

They're both good guitars, but they are different enough that you're going to have to do some research yourself which you prefer. Watch some youtube videos and reviews, get an idea of which sound you like. You can also try similar guitars at a local shop - MIMs are easy enough to find but you might have to try a few Epiphone Les Pauls in place of the Agile. From the videos you posted, I'd say the tele is a bit closer, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's a better guitar for you. Try to find some guitars so you can at least get an idea of the difference between an alder body guitar with single coils and a mahogany guitar with humbuckers.
you are kinda looking at both ends of the spectrum on this. neither band you mentioned uses a LP style guitar or a tele (volcanoes might but it doesn't sound that way to me). I'd be more inclined to go with a Strat or a Jaguar for the Volcanoes. I think you could get by with one of those for the other. an amp that does the jangly sound and a good surf sound will be important.
Quote by Roc8995
You can definitely find MIM Teles for $300 used.

They're both good guitars, but they are different enough that you're going to have to do some research yourself which you prefer. Watch some youtube videos and reviews, get an idea of which sound you like. You can also try similar guitars at a local shop - MIMs are easy enough to find but you might have to try a few Epiphone Les Pauls in place of the Agile. From the videos you posted, I'd say the tele is a bit closer, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's a better guitar for you. Try to find some guitars so you can at least get an idea of the difference between an alder body guitar with single coils and a mahogany guitar with humbuckers.

So, Epiphone lespauls should be close enough to compare to Agile guitars? Also, I'm very familiar with MiM telecasters as I usually play one every time I go to a local guitar shop.
Quote by monwobobbo
you are kinda looking at both ends of the spectrum on this. neither band you mentioned uses a LP style guitar or a tele (volcanoes might but it doesn't sound that way to me). I'd be more inclined to go with a Strat or a Jaguar for the Volcanoes. I think you could get by with one of those for the other. an amp that does the jangly sound and a good surf sound will be important.

Are Jaguars/strats expensive? I'm trying to spend only $300 bucks max..
Check out the following to gauge prices: CraigsList, completed eBay auctions, and GC Used site.

Quote by AlexRussell
Are Jaguars/strats expensive? I'm trying to spend only $300 bucks max..

you can find a used Strat for the same money as a tele also you can get some of the upper end Squier ones for that price. Squier makes a decent Jaguar in the price range you mentioned. not to sure if you can find a Fender made one in that price range but it can't hurt t look.
Agiles are super solid guitars. As said above: A used mexi telecaster should be well within your $300 budget.
You need to decide which guitar feels better to you. You should (I said should) get a fuller sound with the humbuckers in the Agile. The telecaster, especially with the standard telecaster pickup setup, tends to sound a lot more "quacky" if that makes any sense.
A lot of that is going to come from your amp, though.
AL-2000s are just as good as Epiphones LPs. Excellent guitars. Plus you can get an AL-2000 with a case for less than $300.
Quote by AlexRussell
So, Epiphone lespauls should be close enough to compare to Agile guitars? Also, I'm very familiar with MiM telecasters as I usually play one every time I go to a local guitar shop.

Close enough to get a feel for that guitar type, if you play a few of them.
I just got a AL-2000 today and am absolutely amazed by it. I got it in spalted maple (no coloring just a clear coat) and the top (1/16" veneer, far better than the 1-2mm veneers out there) is insane, I don't think you could get a top like this from any manufacturer under $1500... The playability is excellent, I personally find it to rival my USA Fender deluxe strat (not quite as good but very close) and plays better than some Gibby LP studios, standards, and traditional I played (not to say that it is a better guitar, just my experience). The pickups are pretty good, nothing commendable but perfectly fine for the price range. The fretwork was nicely done, not amazing but alot better than I expected for such a "low end" guitar. The strings were super dull, replaced those. Overall fit and finish is awesome for the $261 I paid for it shipped to my door. Can't recommend it enough, best bang for the buck guitar you can get.

Do note that there are only a handful of AL2000's and 3010SE's left, maybe 30-75 each as they received the last order from the factory and are discontinuing these two models, that why I got mine. If you go for the Agile you are going to have to act fast, they will be all gone in a month (my guess) and then you will have to go used (resale is up to 90% on these guitars, probably the best on the market), or epiphone.
Last edited by JGM258 at Nov 19, 2014,
For what you listed as far as bands you like, I think you'll be very happy with a MIM Telecaster. There are tons of them around on Craigslist, just gotta scour around long enough.
Quote by JGM258
I just got a AL-2000 today and am absolutely amazed by it. I got it in spalted maple (no coloring just a clear coat) and the top (1/16" veneer, far better than the 1-2mm veneers out there) is insane, I don't think you could get a top like this from any manufacturer under $1500... The playability is excellent, I personally find it to rival my USA Fender deluxe strat (not quite as good but very close) and plays better than some Gibby LP studios, standards, and traditional I played (not to say that it is a better guitar, just my experience). The pickups are pretty good, nothing commendable but perfectly fine for the price range. The fretwork was nicely done, not amazing but alot better than I expected for such a "low end" guitar. The strings were super dull, replaced those. Overall fit and finish is awesome for the $261 I paid for it shipped to my door. Can't recommend it enough, best bang for the buck guitar you can get.

Do note that there are only a handful of AL2000's and 3010SE's left, maybe 30-75 each as they received the last order from the factory and are discontinuing these two models, that why I got mine. If you go for the Agile you are going to have to act fast, they will be all gone in a month (my guess) and then you will have to go used (resale is up to 90% on these guitars, probably the best on the market), or epiphone.

Well, I do indeed like it but I'm concerned whether it'll be able to play the music I like. I enjoy to play clean with reverb effects on it and a bit more bass than most settings because I like to get a deeper dreamy kind of tone, and I've heard Lespauls are more for classic rock which use effects like fuzz and gain. Will this guitar be able to meet my preferred playing sound? Also, when you say it's becoming discontinued, would I have until christmas to buy one? Would I have to get one earlier?
Quote by AlexRussell
Well, I do indeed like it but I'm concerned whether it'll be able to play the music I like. I enjoy to play clean with reverb effects on it and a bit more bass than most settings because I like to get a deeper dreamy kind of tone, and I've heard Lespauls are more for classic rock which use effects like fuzz and gain. Will this guitar be able to meet my preferred playing sound? Also, when you say it's becoming discontinued, would I have until christmas to buy one? Would I have to get one earlier?

you'd have to check the Agile site for availability but they may be gone by now and certainly will most likely to be gone in another month. keep in mind that the Les Paul was designed for jazz from the early 50s and not rock at all. just great luck that they are great rock guitars. based on what you said I still think a fender will be a better bet. fenders aren't bassy that would be the only potential downside. the stuff you posted isn't bassy and is jangly which is what I'm going by.
Quote by monwobobbo
you'd have to check the Agile site for availability but they may be gone by now and certainly will most likely to be gone in another month. keep in mind that the Les Paul was designed for jazz from the early 50s and not rock at all. just great luck that they are great rock guitars. based on what you said I still think a fender will be a better bet. fenders aren't bassy that would be the only potential downside. the stuff you posted isn't bassy and is jangly which is what I'm going by.

It's really a shame too because I wasn't thinking of grabbing one up until Christmas.. Where could I look to find a decently priced MiM Telecaster by Fender? I've looked around everywhere and most of them are in the $400-$700 price range which is far too expensive.. Any sites you might recommend?
I've owned both at the same time. I sold the Tele but still have the al2000. The Agile is better bang for your buck but the mim Teles are usually quite nice for the used price as well. I totally agree with the previous poster that said the AL2000 is maybe the best bang for buck guitar you could buy. Throw some SD 59s in an AL2000 and I think you'd be set for a broad range of tones. I'm sure you'll still be able to find a mint, used AL2000 around then, at least.
Don't get an AL-2000 for $300, instead try to get a AL-3001 or AL-3100 used. I have a custom AL 3100 and its a very nice playing guitar
Quote by lucky1978
I've owned both at the same time. I sold the Tele but still have the al2000. The Agile is better bang for your buck but the mim Teles are usually quite nice for the used price as well. I totally agree with the previous poster that said the AL2000 is maybe the best bang for buck guitar you could buy. Throw some SD 59s in an AL2000 and I think you'd be set for a broad range of tones. I'm sure you'll still be able to find a mint, used AL2000 around then, at least.

I'd like one I just hope I can get them before they sell out :L
MIM Fenders or something from the Agile line are both solid choices if you're looking for a good guitar on a budget. This is really just a question of preference.

I've owned an Agile AL-2900 for a decade now, and it's help up pretty nicely. The only thing I've had to replace is the plastic plate around the input jack. In it's day, this guitar was my workhorse. It's now been relegated to backup status and doesn't get much play (plus, I've switched to Strats), but overall this thing has been in my hands for literally hundreds of gigs and has been well worth the $300 bucks or so that I spent on it.

I don't have an MIM Tele, but I do have an MIM Strat that I picked up used earlier this year, and it's my "Number 2" behind an American Special. The guitar plays great, required very little setup time, and I've done nothing to it other than swap out the bridge pickup. It's an '03 or '04 model, and it's also stood the test of time as I know it's been owned previously by at least two owners who are active musicians.

Something to consider - the Fender will retain a resale/trade value better than an Agile. You'll be hard pressed to find a store that will give you a good trade value for an Agile, even if it's in near mint condition. You would likely have better luck trying to sell independently, but even then you'd be lucky to get 2/3 of the price you paid (and more realistically maybe even 1/2).

All things considered they're both good options. I'd choose the Tele, but I'll admit I'm biased in favor of Fender, and because the Tele would be easier to modify to your own preferences and adapt to your playing style as you progress.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
Quote by AlexRussell
It's really a shame too because I wasn't thinking of grabbing one up until Christmas.. Where could I look to find a decently priced MiM Telecaster by Fender? I've looked around everywhere and most of them are in the $400-$700 price range which is far too expensive.. Any sites you might recommend?

you have to get them used in order to get them for $300. guitar center has tons of them. as for the Agile those don't turn up used as much but you can try GC for that as well. where do you live?
Quote by AlexRussell

No electric guitar is bound to a playing style or style of music. Any decent guitar can do "fender cleans" to "death metal" with a pot and pickup swap. Just because so and so played a LP does NOT mean that said guitar is meant for that type of music, pick a guitar you like and do whatever the hell you want with it I find mine to do most style reasonably well.

Idk if you will be able to get one new by then, you can get them used form guitar center used gear online, but you will pay 80-90% of the new price (high online resale value).
I suggest you get one new form rondomusic.com as soon as possible.

Common, I mean really? For $261?
Last edited by JGM258 at Nov 20, 2014,
Quote by JGM258
No electric guitar is bound to a playing style or style of music. Any decent guitar can do "fender cleans" to "death metal" with a pot and pickup swap. Just because so and so played a LP does NOT mean that said guitar is meant for that type of music, pick a guitar you like and do whatever the hell you want with it I find mine to do most style reasonably well.

Idk if you will be able to get one new by then, you can get them used form guitar center used gear online, but you will pay 80-90% of the new price (high online resale value).
I suggest you get one new form rondomusic.com as soon as possible.

Common, I mean really? For $261?

not totally accurate. good luck getting death metal out of a Howard Roberts sig. a Les Paul will never accurately duplicate a strat even with a pickup swap. you do have to be kinda in the same ballpark guitar wise. yes a les paul will do great cleans with the right amp.