Hi everybody,

I've had some issues these last time with some song parts where notes have to be played on different strings, which are all palm muted. For example, the pre chorus part in Oblivion (by Mastodon), which goes like this (every note is muted) :
D|----------------------------------|
A|----------------------------------|
F|----------------------------------|
C|----------------------------------|
G|--10-10----------7-7-----------|
C|---------8-8-7-7-----8-8-0-0--|

While the notes on the C string are easy to play, I already have some difficulties to play the ones on the G string. It's indeed even worse when playing parts like the 10 first seconds of this song : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZjHWq2NwcI

Is there a tricky position to make with the right hand? Do I have to move it everytime I play on a different string?

I'd appreciate if you have a link for a video about it, or pictures about the "right position".

Thanks in advance for your help!
Watching the video, and playing a bit of the intro, doesn't make me do anything unusual with the right hand. You can see they are using alternate picking, and not reaching out unusually to hit the strings. The damping is the normal palm mute (resting just near the bridge). You don't need to move your hand much at all.

cheers, Jerry
Quote by jerrykramskoy
Watching the video, and playing a bit of the intro, doesn't make me do anything unusual with the right hand. You can see they are using alternate picking, and not reaching out unusually to hit the strings. The damping is the normal palm mute (resting just near the bridge). You don't need to move your hand much at all.

cheers, Jerry

Thanks for your answer, but that's the exact problem.. I feel like my position is perfect for the first string, but not for the other (or if I just lay my hand confortably, it mutes the next strings too much)... well I guess my right hand's positionning must be bad then...
Quote by Taupe
Thanks for your answer, but that's the exact problem.. I feel like my position is perfect for the first string, but not for the other (or if I just lay my hand confortably, it mutes the next strings too much)... well I guess my right hand's positionning must be bad then...

Can you share a video of you playing this part so we can see how your hand is positioned?
Your palm (or, more accurately, the side of your palm, used for palm mutes) is more than wide enough to cover all the strings. It shouldn't take any weird positioning to get palm mutes on both of the low strings at once. Hell, personally, I have a harder time keeping the second string UN-muted while palm muting the low string. If you've got your hand in the right place, the difference between muting your low string alone and muting all six should be a barely even visible shift of your wrist angle. Like, a matter of millimeters.
The problem is not that I cannot cover all the strings. I do it without any problem. But then, I have problems playing/reaching some of the strings with the pick...