Which would you buy as a gift? I don't normally go for LP style guitars, but I have someone who is I need to buy one for - those of you who are into that type of stuff, which would you go for and why?
I have had good experiences overall with the prophecy guitars. When referring to the GX LP's, are you referring to the older ones with the Dirtyfingers, or the newer ones with the 490's? I prefer the older ones just for the DF's because they're awesome.

I have no experience whatsoever with Agile because I'm from the UK. I don't like the look of rounded horn or the headstock shape at all, but they do seem like amazing value. I think the 3100's are being discontinued as well, but I might be wrong.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Nov 19, 2014,
Quote by dyingturtle
Epiphone > Agile

I think that is a gross over-simplification of comparison. I would definitely go Agile over several of the lower end Epiphones, but I'm not sure where the quality comparison goes as you get into higher end Epiphones.
The (orig. Gibson) Pickups in this (higher end) Epi probably will be worth the same as the complete Agile guitar......
Which Prophecy? I agree the older with the Dirty Fingers is a nice guitar. But all in all, the Agile is probably the better guitar. The 490T Gibson pickup sucks
Quote by Robbgnarly
Which Prophecy? I agree the older with the Dirty Fingers is a nice guitar. But all in all, the Agile is probably the better guitar. The 490T Gibson pickup sucks

A guitar you can't play before buying sux.....

IMO, of course
Last edited by paruwi at Nov 19, 2014,
Quote by paruwi
A guitar you can't play before buying sux.....

Yes it does, and that means both for most people
Quote by Robbgnarly
Yes it does, and that means both for most people

Yep, I live out in the middle of nowhere, which basically means YouTube demos, reviews and internet research, then order online and hope for the best.
Quote by katalyzt13
Yep, I live out in the middle of nowhere, which basically means YouTube demos, reviews and internet research, then order online and hope for the best.

There are online retailers with a 30-day money-back policy....

just not with Agiles AFAIK
Quote by paruwi
There are online retailers with a 30-day money-back policy....

just not with Agiles AFAIK

Agiles have a great return policy
Rondomusic has a 30 day money back too, free return shipping if the received item is damaged (but must be returned in 10 days if damaged). I would totally go for a AL3200 or maybe even 3100 over any epi, except maybe a tribute plus. Both you listed are great, I would take the Agile though, less money and by no means the lesser of the two.
Or if anybody has any other suggestion for a good LP styled guitar for like $600 or less...
new or used is okay, I just have to buy on a schedule, a little bit, so I can't necessarily watch ebay and craigslist for months to find good deals - but I can watch for a few weeks.
Look at some of the PRS SE singlecut models. they have them in the standard PRS 25" scale and in the PRS SE245 which is a 24.5" scale with or without a tremolo. They typically run $300-$400 used at www.guitarcenter.com/usedgear
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I have to go with an Agile AL-3100M over any Epiphone up to half again or double its price.
I'd go with the Agile AL-3200 over virtually any Epiphone.

Gibson pickups stuffed into an Epiphone really don't make it a better (or a better-sounding) guitar. The price that Gibson asks for their pickups is a premium price, but there's honestly nothing "better" about them. Pretty much the same wire, magnets and hardware, and it costs Gibson perhaps $1-2 to make them in bulk.

The closest that Epiphone comes to the AL-3200 is the Matt Heafy guitar, which has the Axcess-style neck heel. EMG pickups, ebony f/b, 12" radius and plastic inlays. It comes in a single color, black, and it doesn't have a tummy cut and it runs $699.

The AL-3200 has the neck-through construction (the Heafy is set-neck), has the Axcess-style neck heel, comes with a tummy cut, ebony fretboard, real MOP inlays and comes in a variety of finishes, including flame and quilt tops as well as solid colors. There are three different neck profiles (the epi has just one) available, the AL-3200 has jumbo frets (the Heafy's are medium-jumbo), a 13.7" radius and (if you have largish hands) better upper fret access (thanks to the stubbier cutaway horn). The 3200 comes with some very nice AlnicoV passives (more versatile than the EMGs).
I would get an epiphone over an agile they are better and they have better resell value then agile
Quote by Tazz3
I would get an epiphone over an agile they are better and they have better resell value then agile

What is better about them?

Most Agiles I see used are asking right at the new price even for a used guitar. Epiphone resale value sucks, don't mean to rain on your parade.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Tazz3

I can't imagine either of those statements is well-informed.

There are some excellent Epiphones, to be sure, and they represent good value for the money. But in dollar-to-dollar comparison to Agile, shipped to my door in Los Angeles, they don't even come close. Part of that has to do with the marketing model. Agiles arrive at the importer (Kurt's tin sheds in New Hampshire), a profit is added and they get shipped direct.

Epiphones arrive at the importer (Gibson), a profit is added and then they get shipped to Guitar Splinter, etc., where another layer of profit is tacked on before you can buy the guitar. Here in Los Angeles, sales tax is charged at around an additional 9% before you can walk out the door. The money you're spending for that Epiphone covers pilferage, damage, inventory expense, additional retail advertising, artist endorsement deals, corporate GC profit and management expense, rent, electricity, employee salaries, etc. at the brick and mortar level. Rondo Music has none of that at the retail level.

Resale value on the Agile LP-style guitars has been extremely high the last few years. I've actually seen clean guitars used at GC going for nearly their new website price. I personally think that's crazy. I haven't watched the resale on the extended range guitars or the multi-scale (fan fret) guitars, but since Epiphone really doesn't play much in that arena, there's no comparison to be made anyway.
so, I'm leaning pretty heavily towards Agile at this point - and possibly more towards the AL3200 than the AL3100...
I ordered the Agile AL-3100mc in black flame yesterday. Estimated delivery is in two days. Will GAS on over to NGD with pictures when it comes in.
Used to have three Gibbys but had to unload them. Had a black standard, 1960 reissue Classic, and a blonde Studio with gold hardware. The standard played like a dream. The classic made women cry with its tone. The studio I never really bonded with. But I'm a LP man and my Strat, my Epi SG 400, and my PRS SE just aren't the same. So I went with the Agile. Kurt is currently selling the black flame for 299!