Hey UG, i started my first guitar build in my high school wood working class! Its turning out well, however, i fear i may have just made it into a nice paper weight. The template (Mockingbird) i used for the body shape had a cutout for the neck to slot into, and being an idiot, i cut it down perfectly to shape, forgetting that i was supposed to route it.

Pic of the body, Is there any way to fix my mistake ??
I would rout out a long strip down the back wider than the neck heel and a little more than the depth needed for the neck pocket rout, and glue another strip of wood into it. Then rout the neck pocket correctly. It could look quite nice with contrasting wood if you get it neat.
You could route further down the body, craft a longer neck and do a deep set neck. You'd be able to shape the heel really nicely as well.
So basically just fill the space again, and rout it? yea that sounds like a good idea. just hope i can find a block of wood thick enough. had to face glue three pieces to get the right thickness for the body, dont really wanna do tht again if i dont have to.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
You could route further down the body, craft a longer neck and do a deep set neck. You'd be able to shape the heel really nicely as well.

The only problem is i was planning on buying a neck :/ heard its pretty difficult to craft one, and im not that skilled.
If it were me, I'd buy a Carvin neck-through neck http://www.carvinguitars.com/necks/guitarneckthrough.php and add the sides of the body to that. Carvin necks are amazing and if you order the "paddle" style headstock you get to carve your own headstock (DO give that some thought before you do it) if you want. Honestly, I'd suggest against that; I'd personally order up the headstock that's on their DC600 guitar. It goes with your body style and gives you straight-pull tuning benefits on a 3+3 headstock.

Last edited by dspellman at Nov 21, 2014,