Is humidity a non issue for solid-body poly coated electrics? (I was looking at a fender strat)?

I ask because I'm brand new to playing guitar and I'm pretty sure I'm going to own both an electric and an acoustic within a year or so, but I was going to start with an acoustic because I thought it would be a cheaper and simpler place to start. (Now that I think about it, I'm planning on spending more for an acoustic than the e-guitar and amp that I was looking at. :doh

And today I just took my guitar (borrowed from a friend) in for fret buzz and they said it might take a while to get it back to me. He said a few days before the tech even calls me with a quote) and I've been playing for about 1-2 hours a day, more than that on weekends.. It's become my nervous-habit/video-game replacement so suffice to say this was not happy news. And I like to keep it on it's stand to play once I a a while... I guess I have to stop that. And now that I read up on it, even in your bag with a humidifier, these adjustments are a seasonal event.

Soooooo - are electrics different? Could I leave it on the stand throughout the winter with no problem? Could I fix it myself of it were electric?
Humidity is a concern to any guitar made of wood. But when kept in a reasonable environment you should have no issues regardless of what brand the guitar is.
Thanks for the response. When you say: ..when kept in a reasonable environment you should have no issues regardless of what brand..

That's only the case for an electric, right?

If that's a dumb question, please forgive me. I know my question was about electrics (and this is the electric forum) ,.. But maybe you meant it's no issue for "any guitar made of wood".

If you meant electrics AND ACOUSTICS, just to clarify, is a reasonable condition for an acoustic: on the stand all day in a heated home, and in a bag with a humidity sponge at night?
(I know that's definitely an acoustic question - and this is the electric forum.. But I want to make sure I understand.)
I live in Central Florida in a sub-tropical environment (75% humidity on average I'd say). My first guitar was made in the 70's and has been in Florida at least since 1989 when my mom bought it for my older brother. I have no issues at all with it. The extreme heat and extreme cold are worse in my experience, but the extreme fluxuation between hot and cold are the worse. Keep the guitar in a somewhat cool area out of direct heat/cold and you should be just fine.
Quote by Stevuke79
Ah,.. Thanks! Last question: just to clarify, you mean acoustics too?

Yes
Thank you!! Interesting. It's contrary to what I thought I understood, but it's good news!
Quote by Stevuke79
Thank you!! Interesting. It's contrary to what I thought I understood, but it's good news!

Don't get me wrong extreme wet/humidity can cause problems, but if you keep you guitar in a climate controlled area most of the time and away from extreme temperature changes your fine.
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Nov 19, 2014,
Right,... And I kind do assume you also mean that during the winters, at night I put it in it's soft case with a humidifier to be safe.

(I assume that's what you meant because I saw the thread about humidifiers for the cold winter months. And I'm still at that very noobie stage where I assume that everyone is in general agreement on the basics.)

Thanks again!
Quote by Stevuke79
Right,... And I kind do assume you also mean that during the winters, at night I put it in it's soft case with a humidifier to be safe.

(I assume that's what you meant because I saw the thread about humidifiers for the cold winter months. And I'm still at that very noobie stage where I assume that everyone is in general agreement on the basics.)

Thanks again!

you will be fine.
I live in the tropics. I have 2 electrics and an acoustic with me at the moment, my flatmate has an electric and an acoustic. Humidity is very high here and temperatures in summer (during the monsoon season) rarely go below 30 degrees Celsius (86 fahrenheit) in my apartment (even overnight), with days up to 45 (113 fahrenheit), usually 75%+ humidity.

With that said, no issues with any of my guitars. I think if you live in a place where the temperate has large fluctuations it's going to be worse, but as above- keep the guitar out of the sun and in an area where the temperature fluctuation isn't too extreme and you will be fine.

The reputation for guitars being damages by temperature etc tends to come from when people leave their guitars in the back of a hot car, storage sheds or similar extreme environment. One story I heard here was a guy who left it in a black case, in the back of his car in the sun for a week, then wondering why it damaged all the glue.

If your body is comfortable in the spot where the guitar is, your guitar will be fine.
Changes in humidity affects tuning. Probably the neck expands and contracts rather than the body.

But it doesn't hurt the guitar.