Hello all,

I had a question about which would be the best way to start off?

I am looking to play mostly metal, but I appreciate and will play some other stuff, just much less of it.

So, would this be a good way to do things, or should I go a different route?

1. Learn Major/Minor Chords
2. Learn Barre Chords
3. Learn To Move Between Chords
4. Learn simple songs
5. Continually learn and master more and more songs

I want to pick up theory, but I would like to do scales and such later if that's possible? I would like to just be able to get to playing, then come back and pick up theory once I get the hang of playing.

Thanks in advance for help!
You can definitely get started with songs, or at least parts of songs. The way you described starting out can also work, but most people will have a very difficult time starting off with basic Major/minor chords and especially bar chords. I have all my beginning students learn two note and two finger chords.

Metal uses tons of power chords, aka 5th chords. If you want to go the song route I'd try learning some easier riffs to get your feet wet.

Smoke on the Water is one of the biggest riffs to start learning. Paranoid is a good beginner song, minus the solo. Iron Man is good too, but sliding the chords in part of the song can prove to be a challenge.

For Whom the Bell Tolls has a lot of easy chord progressions. Any songs or bands in particular you are looking to learn?
Quote by milehighshred
You can definitely get started with songs, or at least parts of songs. The way you described starting out can also work, but most people will have a very difficult time starting off with basic Major/minor chords and especially bar chords. I have all my beginning students learn two note and two finger chords.

Metal uses tons of power chords, aka 5th chords. If you want to go the song route I'd try learning some easier riffs to get your feet wet.

Smoke on the Water is one of the biggest riffs to start learning. Paranoid is a good beginner song, minus the solo. Iron Man is good too, but sliding the chords in part of the song can prove to be a challenge.

For Whom the Bell Tolls has a lot of easy chord progressions. Any songs or bands in particular you are looking to learn?

I already learned A Major, D Major, E Major, G Major, C Major, A Minor, D Minor and E Minor. I also learned the E Minor Pentatonic scale. I also worked on changing from A Major to E Major chords. I don't have them memorized yet of course, but I have put about 6 hours into it so far.

I had planned to keep going through steps of 1-3 this week and next week, then try songs if that kind of plan made sense?

Is that a better route than just learning songs to start off?

I understand I will have to do simpler songs to start with, but the style I am looking to play is like Bury Your Dead. I know it's a simpler style of heavy, but at that point I know I will be where I want to be with only up to go from there.

I know there are a lot of questions there, but I'm pretty excited to finally learn to play!
If you feel that sticking with steps 1-3 that you listed for the next two weeks is best for you, then I say go for it!

A lot of people think they have to do specific things before jumping into songs. I just wanted you to know that isn't always the case. Sure, some songs may require help in certain techniques, but it is still doable while learning that technique in how it's presented in the song.

I'm more than happy to help out. I'm subscribed to this thread so I'll see anything else you have questions about.
Quote by cyber06
simple answer? Check out justinguitar.com to get started.

+1

and also learn some songs which you like to play.

Quote by jordon777

(a) Is that a better route than just learning songs to start off?

(b) I know there are a lot of questions there, but I'm pretty excited to finally learn to play!

(a) I don't think so because you don't want to lose that excitement you mentioned in (b). You want to try to make it as fun as possible so you enjoy it and stick with it. There's no point in having the most efficient practise regime possible for the first 6 weeks if you then quit.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Start off by watching Justin guitar, start off learning easy songs like 2 and 3 chord songs and work your way up. this is what iam doing.its going to take u years before u learn any black sabbath songs and learn the whole song from start to finish,not just riffs that won't make u better.. learning the whole song will make you better,just saying I started off 30 days ago iam in the fight for my life learning the guitar lol maybe in a year I will be ok
Last edited by Tazz3 at Nov 21, 2014,
Learn the major chords, then move to bar chords. To oractice these chords, and chord changes, you play songs,or you can just play random progressions, but I highly recomend you play songs and play witht the song on youtube as this may help Iimprove your timing. I would not learn scales for now, learn chords first, and master them, and then move to playing simple solos by reading tabs and even better train your esr and try figte out melodies. Personally I would start learning scales once I could do bends play simple solos, do slides hammer ons and all the major techniques so when you do move to scales, you wikl have no difficulty plauin them, and Iit will be easier to improvise. However you can start learning scales right away, but it will be hard.
Don't bother learning scales and all of that sh*t, you'll become a robot and everything will sound the same. Listen to A LOT of Dave Mustaine and Gary Holt's work. Learn how to palm mute insanely fast triplets if you're playing metal. Learn the guys' work I mentioned and you will improve greatly, some suggestions are Funeral Hymn, War Is My Shepherd, Bonded by Blood, and Children of a Worthless God by Exodus and Back In The Day, the whole Rust In Peace album (this is THE thrash guide for lead and rhythm playing!!!), and some other early Megadeth stuff. It will definitely be tough and challenging at first, but trust me it made me such a better player!
Quote by PiercedBand
Don't bother learning scales and all of that sh*t, you'll become a robot and everything will sound the same. Listen to A LOT of Dave Mustaine and Gary Holt's work. Learn how to palm mute insanely fast triplets if you're playing metal. Learn the guys' work I mentioned and you will improve greatly, some suggestions are Funeral Hymn, War Is My Shepherd, Bonded by Blood, and Children of a Worthless God by Exodus and Back In The Day, the whole Rust In Peace album (this is THE thrash guide for lead and rhythm playing!!!), and some other early Megadeth stuff. It will definitely be tough and challenging at first, but trust me it made me such a better player!

Congratulations! You've offered absolutely zero good advice.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.