Page 1 of 2
A summary of what's happened:
http://time.com/3592547/bill-cosby-rape-allegations-timeline/

In the past few days several allegations (I think it's like 16 at this point) have come up from women claiming that Bill Cosby had drugged/raped them. Allegedly he's been doing it for years but he's been getting away with it while the media and police have been quietly sweeping it under the rug. But now it's gotten so bad that they've cancelled his new show and several guest appearances he had booked on talk shows.

So do you think Bill Cosby is a rapist?
I've been trying to keep an "innocent until proven guilty" stance with this whole thing, probably in no small part because I loved his comedy so I wish it wasn't looking how it is, but this stuff gets more and more damning every day.
wasnt there some dude who said some shit like "there are ways to avoid being raped" or some nonsense to the victim
Quote by soundgarden1986
wasnt there some dude who said some shit like "there are ways to avoid being raped" or some nonsense to the victim

Don Lemon, CNN news anchor, who, in a strange twist, actually is a sexual abuse survivor.
^

Edit: wait I thought you were making a joke that he's one of cosby's victims lmao nvm
Quote by necrosis1193
I've been trying to keep an "innocent until proven guilty" stance with this whole thing, probably in no small part because I loved his comedy, but this stuff gets more and more damning every day.

Yeah the first I heard about it was when they were writing the biography and the news article just mentioned that he had settled the suit in court, which doesn't really say much. But 14 allegations all with similar stories? Sorry but 14 people don't just make up a story about how George Clooney had punched them in an elevator.

It's really kind of shocking considering how much of an icon and symbol he is. It would be like finding out John Madden molested kids.
Dunno. But I think a lot of those women are confusing "rape" with "was taken advantage of"
How about we find out through evidence whilst avoiding the ensuing victim blaming and rape apologism?
Quote by WaterGod
Sorry but 14 people don't just make up a story about how George Clooney had punched them in an elevator.

Yeah, but claiming George Clooney punched you won't get you a court settlement and/or ruin Clooney's career.

Not to belittle the victims if they actually were harmed in any way, but that situation is a liiiiiittle bit different.
Probably. False rape accusations are a statistical anomaly, and at 16, the odds don't look good for Cosby.

I always try to reserve judgement in these cases, but I don't even think there's a way to prove this one way or another without some kind of video/audio evidence.
Quote by chrismendiola
Probably. False rape accusations are a statistical anomaly, and at 16, the odds don't look good for Cosby.

Why is the number of accusations relevant? Maybe for some nobody, but it's to be expected for celebrities. People are always looking to cash in.
Why would 16 people choose Bill Cosby of all people to "cash in" on and get attention when it's been totally ignored for decades. And you'd think they'd choose like, Macaulay Culkin instead of 16 people randomly picking the great and wise "Dr. Cosby"

Not to mention that no, people are not always looking to cash in with this sort of thing
Quote by StewieSwan
Why is the number of accusations relevant? Maybe for some nobody, but it's to be expected for celebrities. People are always looking to cash in.

Statistics/probability. I don't believe that there celebrities are accused of rape so often that it wouldn't become less likely that a statistical anomaly is less likely to happen multiple times.
my first reaction to any tragedy is to accuse the victims of making it up
Quote by Eastwinn

Honestly, this is a very good way to start with any investigation.
Yes, by playing a father in the Cosby Show he has enabled the patriarchy in this world which perpetuates all rape culture therefore he is indirectly responsible for all rapes.
Last edited by Seref at Nov 19, 2014,
Quote by Wormholes
Dunno. But I think a lot of those women are confusing "rape" with "was taken advantage of"

Yeah because being slipped a rufee just means you're being taken advantage of.
Quote by Eastwinn

Well innocent until proven guilty.
Quote by King Donkey
Well innocent until proven guilty.

i am not a court of law
Quote by Trowzaa

He's not a rapist maybe, I mean if it's really 16 claiming that it happened on separate incidents that's ****ing...

Anyway if you ever have like a melting vanilla pudding pop like you can totally like pop that at a girls face if it's still sealed... those things have no seems they just pop open from pressure.
Last edited by RodSerling at Nov 19, 2014,
Quote by Wormholes

Jesus Christ dude, first of all what is this even based on? Why would you assume that? And what would the difference be exactly?
Quote by steve_muse
^dumb posts trying to be witty posts are the worst

well i'll be fvcked
Quote by King Donkey
oh my mistake

for real people invoke "innocent until proven" guilty completely selectively

and by that i mean people only say that whenever a cop kills a black boy or a women is raped.
The guys like married so does that mean him and his wife are like a rape couple?
Quote by Eastwinn
for real people invoke "innocent until proven" guilty completely selectively

and by that i mean people only say that whenever a cop kills a black boy or a women is raped.

Which is a flaw with the trial system but that's another topic really.
Quote by CaptainCanti
I still don't think MJ was a child molester.

Well yeah he went to court and wasn't proven guilty. Bill Cosby (save for one) has never been to trial.
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
Not to mention that no, people are not always looking to cash in with this sort of thing

ha ha
Quote by StewieSwan
ha ha

Prove to me it's reasonable to assume 16 people all picked Bill Cosby to accuse of rape and used similar stories to so they could "cash in" and that people constantly falsely accuse others of rape, particularly celebrities to get money out of it
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
Prove to me it's reasonable to assume 16 people all picked Bill Cosby to accuse of rape and used similar stories to so they could "cash in" and that people constantly falsely accuse others of rape, particularly celebrities to get money out of it

CONOR OBERST, obviously. Get with the times.
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Can you read though. My post applies to literally any accusation, rape or not. Guilt cannot be inferred by majority, nor can you ignore that people exploit other people in court for monetary gain.
Last edited by StewieSwan at Nov 19, 2014,
Quote by StewieSwan
Can you read though. My post applies to literally any accusation, rape or not. Guilt cannot be inferred by majority, nor can you ignore that people exploit other people in court for monetary gain.

Yeah,i would be careful before thinking he's guilty.

Because of past cases where people made accusations,but weren't true.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McMartin_preschool_trial
Quote by StewieSwan

okay your post i'm reading was "ha ha" there bud. also i just asked an unanswered question but apparently i'm the dumbass here lol

obviously, but like chris said, false rape allegations are a statistical anomaly in of themselves and even creepy celebs that you would expect do not get accused. it doesn't take much to imagine how incredibly small the chances of this are and to realize that you shouldn't call those who are therefore very likely telling the truth that they were sexually abused liars.

if you're gonna wait for this true undeniable evidence before condemning someone, how about you not condemn a large group of women who were probably abused by a man society continues to deem a silly, kind hero
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
obviously, but like chris said, false rape allegations are a statistical anomaly in of themselves

Sure.

realize that you shouldn't call those who are therefore very likely telling the truth that they were sexually abused liars.

I didn't.

if you're gonna wait for this true undeniable evidence before condemning someone, how about you not condemn a large group of women who were probably abused by a man society continues to deem a silly, kind hero

I didn't.
Quote by StewieSwan

certainly implies it though, as well as refuting somewhat obvious evidence that at least many of them are telling the truth.

but whatever, this won't lead anywhere.
Page 1 of 2