ok, I've posted this on thegearpage, but haven't heard anything from them

If I use two passive atomic reactor wedges (the 2010 models, not the 112s) (8 ohms each, not sure about the watts on them) with the Trademark 60 ss amp (8 ohms and 60 watts) are they compatible? I'm not an expert by any means and I don't want to blow out either the wedges or the amp. Looking at this - http://www.uniquesquared.com/blog/Th...Matching+Guide - I'm told that I would need an amp that's 50% the power output of the atomic reactor wedges - I'm guessing it's 50 watts for them - so my amp needs to be 75w?
do I need to worry about wattage and ohms with this combination?
Last edited by sonictoothache at Nov 20, 2014,
Quote by sonictoothache
ok, I've posted this on thegearpage, but haven't heard anything from them

If I use two passive atomic reactor wedges (the 2010 models, not the 112s) (8 ohms each, not sure about the watts on them) with the Trademark 60 ss amp (8 ohms and 60 watts) are they compatible? I'm not an expert by any means and I don't want to blow out either the wedges or the amp. Looking at this - http://www.uniquesquared.com/blog/Th...Matching+Guide - I'm told that I would need an amp that's 50% the power output of the atomic reactor wedges - I'm guessing it's 50 watts for them - so my amp needs to be 75w?
do I need to worry about wattage and ohms with this combination?

http://www.atomicamps.com/Documents/atomic/Reactor_Series_Manual.pdf

according to the manual the passive 2010 series cabs are 1x12, two-way cabs, rated at 8 ohms and 200 watts power handling.

the specs for the trademark 60 seems to say it should be matched with an 8 ohm load, as a 4 ohm load may overheat the amp. it also seems to bypass the native speaker when you plug in an external speaker cab.

http://www.tech21nyc.com/support/manuals/amps/Trademark60-OM1.pdf

you will not be able to 'daisy chain' your two reactor cabs together with the trademark amp as this will provide a 4 ohm load, which is not recommended for this amp. furthermore, it seems like this trademark 60 already comes with a 12 inch speaker already, so you aren't really getting anything out of it by hooking external speakers anyway.

if you want to hook up both reactor cabs you will need additional equipment, like a box that changes the load of a speaker cab. weber offers stuff like this, it'll change a speaker cabinets impedance (probably by running a load with the cabinet) but it costs more money.

another option is a series box, which allows you to hook cabs up in series. this would allow you to run your reactor cabinets as a 16 ohm load instead of a 4 ohm load, this would also have the effect of running the amp at a lower power output.

both options are not really advisable or overly effective for the type of gear you need. basically it seems like you're stuck with it's native speaker unless you just wanna run one reactor cab, which doesn't really do anything for you.

power (wattage) shouldn't be a problem though. either of those cabs by itself should easily be able to handle the output of the amplifier.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Nov 20, 2014,
Thanks for replying - basically what I wanted was my VOX Tonelab LE multi fx be in stereo setup - I looked at Trademarks own power cab - the Power Engine 60, but from what I hear they don't give you as good a sound range as the Atomic Reactor FRFR. However, the Atomic Reactor FRFR are passive and need to be powered up - so I thought of using the Trademark 60. So if that idea is out the window - what kind of power amp would you recommend to go with the Atomic Reactor wedges?
Last edited by sonictoothache at Nov 20, 2014,
Quote by sonictoothache
Thanks for replying - basically what I wanted was my VOX Tonelab LE multi fx be in stereo setup - I looked at Trademarks own power cab - the Power Engine 60, but from what I hear they don't give you as good a sound range as the Atomic Reactor FRFR. However, the Atomic Reactor FRFR are passive and need to be powered up - so I thought of using the Trademark 60. So if that idea is out the window - what kind of power amp would you recommend to go with the Atomic Reactor wedges?

if you want to run the vox in stereo then you wouldn't have been able to do that with a trademark anyway, it is a mono amp.

anything stereo should work. something like this should work

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/gemini-xga-2000-power-amplifier

i personally use a crown
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Pick up a Carvin HD1500 stereo power amp. It'll give you 210W RMS at 8 ohms, each channel, which is perfect for the Atomic Reactors. The amp is $299, a rackmount, and weighs 9 lbs. When/if you need more power (I have speaker cabs that will handle 900W each and that present an 8 ohm load each), you can get up to 1400W RMS at 4 ohms, bridged, mono out of that little puppy.

I have three Atomic Reactor powered speakers (the earlier models designed with built in 18W and 50W tube amps and a hot-swappable bay for Pods, M-Audios, Vox and Behringer modelers). I think Tom King used the same very solid 200W (conservatively rated) Eminence speakers in those as in your wedges.

What are you paying for these wedges (used, I hope)?

An alternative: A pair of Carvin PM12A's. These are powered monitors with a 12" woofer and a 1" tweeter. Internal power amps are 400W RMS each. Plug your Vox directly and go. Lighter than the Atomics (around 30 lbs each) and you can use them as wedges OR pop them up on speaker stands (they've got the top hat for that built in). $279 each, so your total expenditure would be about $560, no additional power amp required.