This is my first time posting here so bear with me, please. I've been looking around for an ibanez that I'm going to use for my progressive black metal project, and I've been thinking about getting a SIX70FDGB and swapping out the dimarzios for a set of seymour duncan black winters, and swapping the middle pickup for some single coil sized humbucker, probably a duncan hot rail. I was just looking for some general ideas on how single coil sized humbuckers can sound when playing metal, cuz I've looked around and I haven't really gotten any definitive answers, cuz i was also thinking about getting some for my parker p-36. Im also not into the whole lo-fi black metal sound, as for as my music goes, so yeah, if you have any thoughts/constructive criticism on this, it'd be much appreciated
What amp do you have?

Honestly, getting a guitar is all about what you like as far as looks and comfort of playing. Tone is the pickups and amp. You hit that nail on the head with the Black Winters for black metal more or less. But all of it will be completely useless if you don't have the right amp.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
I have an Engl fireball 100 head, i dont have a cab anymore but im thinkin of something like a Marshall, Engl, or Orange if i had the money. My old guitarist had a vader that sounded pretty nice
Last edited by Blackmetaldude at Nov 20, 2014,
I know absolutely nothing about black metal, but the Fireball I know is a good amp. Like I said, if you like the way the guitar plays and how it looks then get it. As far as single coils in metal the only things I can think of is listening to Plini or Sithu Aye to get an idea (although they are sorta djent, both use strats). I can't see black metal using single coils though. I'd say just forgo the single coil and look for an S series that's HH. One less pup to replace.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Felt, i mean ive seen people use single coils for death metal, i was just wondering how a single coil sized humbucker would sound with a high gain amp, i thinks the variety of tones available would be interesting