I'm deciding between purchasing native instruments guitar rig or positive grid bias for my desktop. Both cost 200$. I downloaded the guitar rig trial and it's a blast and sounds good to my ears. I haven't had a opportunity to try bias but I hear great things about it. Any advice? Which would you choose and why? I don't gig out I just jam in my bedroom if that helps any.
First off get a daw, then try some free amp sims, then if you still like the whole amp sims thing either get the softube amp rooms bundle or bx_rockrax pro.

For info about DAW's go on wikipedia.

For info about free amp sims and how to use them go in the amp sims sticky in the recording section of this forum.

Guitar rig sounds bad for everything that's not mostly clean, and the rest is only funny 'cause of the funny fx.
Bias is nothing short of bland - pretty funny and enjoyable to design amps, though the sound's nothing worth loosing sleep over.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Check out Amplitube as well. But like spambot said, look into some free plugins before you buy anything. LePou has some very good free amp sims. For a begginer daw, i suggest Reaper. Its cheap and easy to use, but it still has all the funcionality of its bigger brothers.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Quote by Spambot_2
First off get a daw, then try some free amp sims…

+1 if you’re on Windows. The free stuff is excellent.
There actually is more and arguably better free stuff on mac y' know...
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
they're quite different software, Bias is for creating your own boutique amp being able to change pretty much every component and tweak until your hearts content. Guitar Rig (and Amplitube) is more focussed on creating a full rig using its own existing models of amps and effects.

Amplitube is good, but unless you buy everything (more like 800$) then it's a bit like that annoying game with micro-transactions, constantly teasing you with a bit more for more cash. Plus I find the interface a little bit fiddly, flicking around the different fx, amps and cabs can be annoying using the drop down menus. Haven't tried guitar rig but heard it's pretty good, interface looks nice.

I'd second others, get a DAW first as both programmes are designed to provide plugins for a DAW and you can find plugins for free so start with that.

If we've misread your request and you just want some software to use your desktop computer as a guitar amp, check out Ampkit (mac only i think). It's only 50$ and is much better for setting up some simple signal chains to use for practising. It has all the core fx and amps covered in a single purchase, it sounds good and the drag and drop interface is really nice. There is a basic recorder which will cover simple tasks, but you can't export plugins into a DAW like the above software which is why they're much better if you want to do some proper recording.
Last edited by jecooper86 at Nov 21, 2014,
for a DAW i really like Reaper, i have been messing around a few weeks. straight up. simple to use. but i haven't gone insane with it yet.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/