Okay, so here's my story. I'm still fairly new to the guitar world, been playing a couple of years. I currently play a Gibson Les Paul Studio, Fender Stratocaster (MiM) and an Epiphone SG-G400 Goth. I play through a Roland Cube 40xl currently, however this is slightly irrelavent as I will be getting a new tube amp pretty soon. I play exclusively rock and metal, and I'm looking to build a pedalboard that will give me extra boost for Metallica-like solo's, cut out any humming or noise, give me some nice clean sound (eg. Metallica intros) - yes I know I'm linking to Metallica a lot seems the best way to describe the tone I'm after So I've done a little bit of research and come up with a plan! I'll be using a Diago Gigman Pedalboard with Diago Micropower9 power supply. I'm not really on a budget as such, but i dont want to be buying expensive pedals, I dont have the money right now; this will be an ongoing project for me. So here's my plan:

Korg Pitchblack Polyphonic Tuner -> Dunlop Crybaby Zakk Wylde Wah (already own this, will not be changed) -> MXR M102 DynaComp -> MXR ZW44 Overdrive -> Boss NS-2 (or maybe an ISP Decimator, is it worth the extra money?) -> MXR M169 Carbon Copy Delay -> TC Hall Of Fame Mini Reverb

So like I said, what would you change on this pedal board? Are there any other pedals you consider important that I dont have? Is this the best order for the pedals?

I have not done massive amounts of research and I know very little about pedals, so all help is massively appreciated! Feel free to give me any advice, however I don't really want advice or critisism on my guitars or amp.

Thankyou for your time, i appreciate all answers and will reply to any that I need to

PS. I know the power supply won't be able to run all 7 pedals, my wah will run off a battery that's fine.
Best advice I can give is to find a local trade in store and see if they have any of these you can try to make sure it's what you want.
This makes me a total hypocrite because I buy a lot of Chinese pedals online... BUT if you're going to be spending the money, try it out in a store first. Lie I said, look for them in a trade in store, of if they're new/common enough you could just go to a guitar center and try them new.

Also, and I'm not sure what people who have them think, but I really don't understand spending all that money on a tuner that will just take up space on your board. I've been using a headstock tuner for about a year now and it's great. Works perfectly and because of it's design you don't actually have to hear what you're doing so tuning on stage is a snap.

Welcome to the world of pedals! It's a lot of fun here (and noisy)
John 3:16 = Truth

Sight reading tableture = Guitar Hero for real guitarists
I can recommend a Electro Harmonix Knock Out EQ into a Pro Co Rat for a Hetfield rhythm/solo tones.

Also for cheap and nice sounding pedals check out Mooer Audio.
Definitely try as much of it as you can before you buy. Bring your guitar and plug it into the amp you're going to be using (or as close as you can get).

Never heard of a Diago, but make sure it's an isolated power supply if you're looking to cut down on noise.

IME, the MXR Dynacomp adds a lot of extra noise, and sounds kinda 'eh'. The Decimator's supposed to be nice and worth the money. I've heard mixed things about the NS-2, especially RE stuff like pinch harmonics and palm muting (apparently it drowns them out).

Try out some other Overdrives at the store. MXR makes some nice stuff, but there's a million ODs out there. There might be something you like 10x better. Do more research. Go online and check out demos of everything you can.

One last piece of advice: If there's one thing I've learned over years of chasing tone, it's to ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS buy exactly what you want. If you're looking at a $500 whatever, don't ever say: "well, I'll just get this $130 thing to tide me over". You'll never be happy with it, and you'll be losing money. Go get a multi-FX unit if you really need something to 'tide you over'. I keep one in my closet in case I need something weird that I don't have on my board (Zoom MS-50G).
A chorus pedal is pretty much a necessity for a lot of Metallica's clean parts and intros. Think of Sanitarium, One and Enter Sandman as a few examples. A great one to look at IMO is the MXR M148 Micro Chorus, it can pretty much nail their chorus sounds perfectly.
Last edited by Way Cool JR. at Nov 20, 2014,
A bit pricey, but I'd recommend a Wampler Triple Wreck distortion pedal.
Diago is not a well known brand and they are UK based so i wouldn't expect most people o have heard of them, however they create extremely good products.

Thankyou to everyone for your replies all is really appreciated and any more advice, particularly on pedal order and OD pedals would be excellent!
I'd probably wait and get the amp first. Just in case it sounds slightly better with some pedals than others.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I'd probably wait and get the amp first. Just in case it sounds slightly better with some pedals than others.

Problem is, I just don't have the money right now for the kind of amp that i want, so in the meantime i thought I'd try to improve the sound of the one i have
Quote by Bixter
Problem is, I just don't have the money right now for the kind of amp that i want, so in the meantime i thought I'd try to improve the sound of the one i have

The problem with that is that you may feel like a pedal sounds great on your amp now, and then when you buy the new one it sounds like shit (or vice versa!) and then you're out whatever the difference is between new and used when you replace it.

In the long run, it's more money down the hole, but if you're ok with that, have at it
I own a korg tuner and it does its job. also you already have a wah pedal for kirk style solos. I don't really like noise suppressors as they change the tone, also, the compressor is not as essential given that you are playing high gain distortion and humbucking pickups for cleans. I have also the ZW-44 not sure if you could get the metallica exact tone with it but I love the pedal especially with old passive EMG typical of metallica old records.

As way cool JR pointed out, I would recommend getting a chorus pedal. metallica cleans seam to have chorus or flanger. Having a modulation pedal is great. Also I like the MXR micro chorus. I would really go for a chorus before looking for any other pedal if you want to play metallica.

as far as delays and reverbs it is always good to have a good one. but I have not been shopping for something similar as i use digital reverb and spring reverb from the amp.

Finally I would recommend a cheap programmable switching system to allow you to switch multiple pedals at one with one switch rather then having to jump all over the place.
Quote by Gab_Azz
I own a korg tuner and it does its job. also you already have a wah pedal for kirk style solos. I don't really like noise suppressors as they change the tone, also, the compressor is not as essential given that you are playing high gain distortion and humbucking pickups for cleans. I have also the ZW-44 not sure if you could get the metallica exact tone with it but I love the pedal especially with old passive EMG typical of metallica old records.

As way cool JR pointed out, I would recommend getting a chorus pedal. metallica cleans seam to have chorus or flanger. Having a modulation pedal is great. Also I like the MXR micro chorus. I would really go for a chorus before looking for any other pedal if you want to play metallica.

as far as delays and reverbs it is always good to have a good one. but I have not been shopping for something similar as i use digital reverb and spring reverb from the amp.

Finally I would recommend a cheap programmable switching system to allow you to switch multiple pedals at one with one switch rather then having to jump all over the place.

Thankyou very much for your comment! Extremely helpful, ill definately be picking up a chorus pedal, however i do think noise reduction is going to be essential with such a high gain setup, with the decimator ive heard it doesnt suck tone, and i dont mind paying the £110 for it, again thanks for your help
I have tried the boss and mxr units. both effect the tone. I have never used a decimator but this week i have watched a video on youtube reguarding that pedal and it seemed to alter the tone on any setup the guy tested. but i also noticed for the first time that the pedal seems to act like a low pass filter yielding a modern metal tone sort of. hope this helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo0zmeSxEdo
Quote by Gab_Azz
I have tried the boss and mxr units. both effect the tone. I have never used a decimator but this week i have watched a video on youtube reguarding that pedal and it seemed to alter the tone on any setup the guy tested. but i also noticed for the first time that the pedal seems to act like a low pass filter yielding a modern metal tone sort of. hope this helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo0zmeSxEdo

Thanks for the link its very helpful actually, looks like that will be the pedal i'll be buying, I think the slight tone change is worth having no noise.
i was extremely disappointed by the dynacomp

i would pick a regular pitchblack over the poly. i have two regular and one poly, and i don't like the poly as much.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i was extremely disappointed by the dynacomp

i would pick a regular pitchblack over the poly. i have two regular and one poly, and i don't like the poly as much.

I guess I was drawn in by all the pretty lights... Thanks for your advice
if you use the poly function i guess its great, but if you are looking for a chromatic tuner you may not like it. I like the poly as you are allowed to strum all the strings at once between songs and it will show you if any is out of tune without requiring to go through each string individually. to use the chromatic function you have to mute the other strings correctly so if you are a bit clumsy or rough person it may try to go to the poly function if you vibrate the other strings.

yeah a compressor and a wah may result in unwanted noise. I actually can hear radio from my guitar cab of a neighboring country (i could tell from the language). i was using a digitech compressor, a 535q wah and a solid state marshall amp.
its faster to play an 'E' chord and hear what string(s) are out of pitchblack and just do the normal chromatic on the other strings. but the normal pitchblack is a nice tuner, no complaints, i have probably gigged the first one 50 times and there are no signs of worry.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
How big of an upgrade is a Zw44 from a boss mt2? My friend has sold me an mt2 for £20, if i dont like it i can just put it on ebay for a little profit
Well for starters, the ZW-44 is an overdrive, while the MT2 is a distortion pedal. The ZW-44 will have no where near the amount of gain on tap as the MT2. Overdrives are typically used to drive a tube amp into breakup or to get an extra boost for solos or lead work. I guess it all depends on what you are planning on doing with it.

Edit: I just realized that you're using a SS amp, and already own the ZW-44. I'm not sure if the ZW-44 will do a whole lot for you with that amp, and I don't know if the MT2 will actually sound any better then the sims on the amp.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Last edited by red.guitar at Nov 23, 2014,
Forget all this bollocks and get your amp first. You're trying to buy the tyres before the car.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Bixter
How big of an upgrade is a Zw44 from a boss mt2? My friend has sold me an mt2 for £20, if i dont like it i can just put it on ebay for a little profit

it's not really an upgrade, it's just a totally different style of pedal as red.guitar said.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
bixter you are planning to change amp, to get a tube amp. If I can understand the purpose of this is that you are looking into pedals, as well as a tube amp for the future but you would like to get an idea of the available gear and how to get the sound you desire before start buying random gear.

Maybe you are more familliar with tube amps and you already have a good idea about what to get while you still have to figure out what pedals to get...

The ZW-44 is a great overdrive in my opinion. I bought it the same day i got my tube amp.