I've been 'told' we are doing our first gig very soon.

I have no pedals.

I play in the practice studio with the house amp and use the amp for overdrive/distortion etc. Switching between a clean channel and an overdrive channel mid song, while using volume on my guitar for solo and 'important' lead parts.

I have no pedals. Can't afford much yet. : (

What i'm asking you guys is.... i can imagine going to the venue with no pedals and house amp doesn't have a familiar amp with a channel selector for clean and 'dirty' sound.

I've saved enough money to buy a pedal but was looking for advice, not necessary on what name of pedal to buy... but, if i buy a distortion pedal is that enough for gig? Meaning i can set up a clean channel and hit the pedal for the appropriate distortion for each song and also turn it on and off mid song for proper sound.

Also is my volume knob on the guitar enough, (for now), to give volume on solo parts of songs?

Thanks guys absolute beginner here
I don't gig (so bear that in mind )

a rat is a pretty decent pedal for suiting a ton of different amps, and for having a wide range of distortion tones on tap (at a pinch it'll do overdrive at lower distortion settings and a sort of saturated fuzz at higher distortion settings).

that's what i'd probably get if I wanted a pedal and didn't know what amp I'd be using. On the cheap(ish) the mooer black secret is a rat clone, and is pretty nice. Also teeny so easy to carry with you (but it needs a power supply as it's so small it can't fit a battery).

EDIT: yeah guitar volume knob will be just fine for solos as long as you don't mind playing with your guitar's volume knob at 8 all the time you don't have a solo. and bear in mind if you're playing distorted, the guitar volume knob will lower your distortion amount moreso than volume. also if you don't have a treble bleed on your guitar volume knob you'll lose highs (which some players like and which some hate).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Nov 20, 2014,
Thanks will look into that.

Pedals never really entered my mind until my friend gave me a tuner pedal, i had a basic plug in tuner he gave me this pedal and said 'better than unplugging cable during gig'.

Probably not ready for 'live' playing but band master said it's the only way we will learn, i kinda agree. : )

We have 7 songs most played with overdrive on my part via amp, but couple songs have an acoustic/clean part on verse, overdrive on chorus. If venue amp doesn't have channel selector then all songs will end up being played with the one tone/sound.

I will be gaining more experience with appropriate pedals from here on in, but with gig just around the corner was just looking for something to see me through this learning curve.

Read about booster, compression pedals etc etc but just looking for clean to fuzz, fuzz to clean for the moment.
Don't add anything to your gig rig this late in the game.
For the first gig, concentrate on what you already know. Add in the pedal AFTER that first gig. You want to be as comfortable as posslble with your gear the first time out; you're going to be in your head so much with so many OTHER things on that first gig that one more thing just isn't worthwhile.
I would just set your amp up for your overdrive sound. Then for the parts where it's supposed to be clean, just roll your guitar volume down and play lightly. It wont be perfect, but for a first gig I think that would be good enough, considering you don't own the equipment that would be optimal.

A bit of dirt on the "clean" parts (especially if there is singing/other stuff going on) probably wont make or break the gig.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
Last edited by Tremolo Bum at Nov 20, 2014,
Guys thanks for suggestion,

I have 3 more rehearsals before gig.

Your advice is good will try.

Pedals for a later date, going to run with lower volume in clean parts....
it should work for me, at least on stage 'band master' can't say (mid song) turn it up a bit.

Just excited and nervous about playing in front of real people,... knowing no one really cares and everyone just turning up to see us fail. : )

Living to learn. Learning to live.
Well if you are not using your own amp for the show, then it might be a good idea to get a pedal and get yourself familiar with it. And if this is the case, the amp provided may have a footswitch, so you will be ble to switch channels on the amp itself. But dont count on it. In my experience, i always had less trouble just pluging in my pedals into an unknown amp and fiddling with the settings until it sounds decent, rahter than use whatever controls came with it.

If you are using the same amp as you do for practice, then just do whatever you do on practice, you dont want to confuse yourself more then you absolutely have to.

Also keep in mind, if you are the only guitarist, you dont need to change your lead tone very much to stand out. And if you are playing on a distorted amp/pedal/whatever, your volume knob will mainly change your gain level, not your volume.

So yes, i would get some sort of a distortion pedal. What kind depends on the music that you play.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
your always going to rely on the "house amp"? dude. thats asking for serious trouble.

if i were you, i may consider financing a line 6 pod 500.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Find out what the backline actually is and get back to us. Otherwise we're just pissing in the wind.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I'd suggest you get a multifx pedal or distortion pedal that has lots of options at this point and just go with clean amp settings and use those.
The Rat is awful for all rounder, I've had it and it doesn't seem to do much right.
Maybe start with modeling distorion pedal like DigiTech Df-7. It is not the best but does quite a few sounds right from overdrives to balls on metal distortion and has a Rat clone on it if needed. The Df-7 also has cabinet emulation so you could go direct into the board as worst case scenario and it won't be awful.
For volume control if you have more than one pickup and separate volume like on a Strat or Les Paul you can use the volume to lower one sound, and just flip the switch to change. You can also physically lower one of the pifckups the be lower in volume and flip to the other pickup for lead.
You know, the best thing would be to actually get your own amp. I know this is said everywhere, but in your case its literlay the best option. So instead of investing into a bunch of pedals, you should first get a decent amp.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Quote by gorkyporky
You know, the best thing would be to actually get your own amp. I know this is said everywhere, but in your case its literlay the best option. So instead of investing into a bunch of pedals, you should first get a decent amp.

^+1

Also, have you thought about renting an amp for this show? It's usually dirt cheap to rent one for a week or month. You could maybe rent the same amp that you're using at practice, or get something else, and just spend some time before hand tweaking it to your liking. There's lots of options out there; and you'll sound much better then showing up to the gig, and possibly having a spider sitting in the backline .
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Last edited by red.guitar at Nov 21, 2014,
Guys:
I have no pedals. Can't afford much yet.
He's not going to buy an amp.

Like Cathbard said, you really need to find out what the venue is supplying, if anything. If it's a footwitchable amp then just roll with that. If not, come back here with the deets.
Charvel DX-1 FR / DS-1 ST / DC-1 FR / Custom Strat / La Patrie Hybrid CW / Vypyr 30 / VK100 / 1960A
Quote by Cathbard
Find out what the backline actually is and get back to us. Otherwise we're just pissing in the wind.

Quote by Danustar
Guys: He's not going to buy an amp.

Like Cathbard said, you really need to find out what the venue is supplying, if anything. If it's a footwitchable amp then just roll with that. If not, come back here with the deets.

These ^

No point making a decision based on an assumption, that'll probably just cost you more in the long run. Call the venue. Find out the backline. Decide how you need to proceed.
Tube Screamer will give you more or less consistent sound when used with different amps.
It is what it is. When you get there, dime the amp and use your guitar knobs to control volume, tone and drive. Be very aware of your sound level compared with the drummer as you want to match the snare drum for your loudest passages. Always play under the vocals. Relax and have fun with it.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Thanks for input guys.

I have separate volume controls on pick-ups, so that's another option.

I will be saving and investing in the long run as I become a better player (hopefully : )

But because gig just couple weeks to go was just looking for experienced opinion as this 'live' playing will be new to me.

I'm taking everything on board you all have said, if anyone interested will keep you all up to speed how getting on.

But defo worthwhile just going to venue and having a look.

Should have came here a ages ago.