Hey,
I have a quick question for the Metallica fans. My guitar is always in tune when i play, but if I try to play a song from Ride The Lightning (rythm parts of Fade to Black for example), I can hear that it's not the good tuning. And I'm not able to find the right tuning. When I look at some tabs, it's written "Standard Tuning", but i'm 200% sure that it's not standard tuning.

I had the same problem with the song Still Loving You by Scorpions. My questions are Which tuning are they using, and WHY ?

Thanks for your help
There are many examples of recordings where the instruments have not been tuned properly, if you by that mean the A 440hz that we most commonly use. Maybe the musicians did not have an accurate tuner, maybe they tuned all instruments to a piano that wasn't in tune or maybe something else. There are also examples where the recordings were sped up post recording, which lead to an increase in pitch.

I remember having read that For Whom The Bell Tolls is an example of the latter, as it is supposedly a quarter tone above E Standard tuning. Some Iron Maiden songs are also impossible to play along to in my experience.

When I think of it, there is actually an example of where it was done intentionally. I believe Dave Mustaine tuned everything a quarter note down on the first Megadeth album. I think the reason behind it was to make it harder to learn their songs...
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
It's not far off from E-Standard tuning. Just tune to Eb Standard and call it good. Or hell, try it in D Standard, C Standard....whatever you want. I don't get why people are so hung up on sounding EXACTLY LIKE THE ALBUM BRAH. Play it your own way.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by KailM
I don't get why people are so hung up on sounding EXACTLY LIKE THE ALBUM BRAH. Play it your own way.

I'm not trying to sound like them, i just want to play with the original song. But if it's too difficult, i'll use backing tracks. I was just curious about the reasons of such a tuning