So I'm working up to playing small gigs, but an issue I have is that the closest vocals I can get to is mumford and sons and phillip phillips. Which these days is a good thing, but I'm not totally into and am kind of tired of hearing. My question is, is there any grungy/punk bands that have a vocalist that kinda sounds like those two bands? My main goal is to sing with some acoustic guitar. I like some folk, but only can do so much of it. The other thought i had was maybe some acoustic flogging molly and dropkick murphys. Suggestions always welcome. Thanks!
I was under the impression that most punk and grunge bands just scream in the mic all angsty like.

Don't try to imitate someone else's style. Just be yourself. As a result, the music will be a reflection of yourself, and your band won't sound like everyone else.

Be different.
"The mind is everything. What you think, you become."
Quote by mardisaaron
I was under the impression that most punk and grunge bands just scream in the mic all angsty like.

Don't try to imitate someone else's style. Just be yourself. As a result, the music will be a reflection of yourself, and your band won't sound like everyone else.

Be different.

Either answer the guys question, or remain silent. Don't jump in and tell him to do something else.
Gee, I kind of agree with Mardiaaron....

We've always thought that the best thing a performer could realize was that they should do material for which they (voice and style and all that) are well-suited. You may very well admire artist "X" but if you just don't have X's tone and chops and all... Not gonna work.
Most of the folks I admire have quirky, unusual voices. Prine, Waits, Cohen.... They all do material that works very well.... For them.
Quote by papathaddy
So I'm working up to playing small gigs, but an issue I have is that the closest vocals I can get to is mumford and sons and phillip phillips. Which these days is a good thing, but I'm not totally into and am kind of tired of hearing. My question is, is there any grungy/punk bands that have a vocalist that kinda sounds like those two bands? My main goal is to sing with some acoustic guitar. I like some folk, but only can do so much of it. The other thought i had was maybe some acoustic flogging molly and dropkick murphys. Suggestions always welcome. Thanks!

You know, back in the late 80s there was this perception that the only way to be a rock singer was to be a high screecher. You had to have range, man, and live up in those high notes. Either that or you were a folkie, or a punk who didn't really sing.

Then Pearl Jam happened, and all of a sudden we were inundated with these low, chest-voice mumblers: Stone Temple Pilots, Bush, etc.

In other words - there doesn't have to be another band that sounds like you for you to do what you do. If you do it well, people will follow.
Quote by innovine
Either answer the guys question, or remain silent. Don't jump in and tell him to do something else.

This is the first time I've actually seen someone get pissed off because somebody told somebody else to "Be yourself".
I'm still developing my vocal style as of right now. When I'm imitating the closest artists that i count do are the folk/country twang which is mumford and sons, zac brown, and so forth. I'd love to do matchbox 20 and 3 doors down stuff, but for me personally is going to take more practice and time.
Quote by innovine
Either answer the guys question, or remain silent.

Learn to take your own advice.
"The mind is everything. What you think, you become."