Hi! I am looking to pick up an acoustic-electric guitar to play some coffeehouse gigs, and to gig with my band however I know almost nothing on which acoustic-electrics are good and which aren't. I am looking for one that would give me a very clean and clear sound yet be able to withstand some heavy chords. Something that would be able to give me the tone of Never Too late by Three Days Grace or along those lines. I am looking to keep my price range under 300 dollars. I could really use your guys help. Thank you very much!
Quote by PlasticSoulMan
Hi! I am looking to pick up an acoustic-electric guitar to play some coffeehouse gigs, and to gig with my band however I know almost nothing on which acoustic-electrics are good and which aren't. I am looking for one that would give me a very clean and clear sound yet be able to withstand some heavy chords. Something that would be able to give me the tone of Never Too late by Three Days Grace or along those lines. I am looking to keep my price range under 300 dollars. I could really use your guys help. Thank you very much!

You are not going to get much of a choice of new electro-acoustic guitars for $300. There are a couple available at GC in that price but I have no idea what they are like.

Good luck.
i'd strongly suggest the yamaha FGX700
www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha-FGX700SC-Solid-Top-Cutaway-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-106863996-i1932839.gc?
it's got a solid top, unlike others at this price point. it's got good tone and you can choose from several finishes. it is head and shoulders above any other acoustic electric i've tried in the $300 and under price range, and i have tried a LOT of guitars.

otherwise you're probably going to end up with an all lam model. don't be fooled - some brands make guitars in this price range that look purty but don't sound too good. yamaha makes the best sounding of these - the FGX370C

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha-FX370C-F-SERIES-Cutaway-Acoustic-Electric-104648936-i1275571.gc

i'd pass on the yamaha APX series myself. they catch the eye of a lot of people as they look spiffy, but they sound boxier and less resonant due to their shallower body. the FGX700 and the FX370 will have more resonance and a more developed sound, particularly the 700.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
I have changed my price range to up to 500 dollars. I am looking for something that has some kick like Ed Sheeran's guitar but I dont want to buy a signature model. Any advice would be great!
i wouldn't bother with a martin in your price range - but if you feel that's what you want to do, the X series, with its solid tops and HPL back and sides, has several options
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/6-string-acoustic-guitars/martin?N=100507

understand that these are not the iconic martins you've heard. they have different bracing and their backs and sides are made of particle board covered with wood-appearing paperlike stuff. some people do like them, and they have more bass than some other guitars in their price range.

i'd suggest a seagull - there are several in your price range - or a yamaha FGX730 or maybe one of their L series guitars. i haven't tried them in person, and they don't have cutaways, but everyone i know who has played them has been very impressed.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!