My band, Modern Ruins, recorded some stuff to practice to in our "studio" while we're at work in a real studio. This is one song we've done. a little on the slower side for us but I just want to see what people think about it. Cheers.

Post your stuff ill check it out!

https://soundcloud.com/yourlastbreath-1/illusion-mp3

and facebook of course

https://www.facebook.com/modernruinswi
-Peavey 6505+
-Bugera 333xl(w/6l6 pt's) -dead
-412 X-pattern loaded w/ WGS veteran30s & HM75s
-Gibson Les Paul, SD Blackouts *being worked on back to stock*
-Jackson DR7, EMGs
-LTD MH417
-Peavey Vyper 75w
Quote by jrizzo
drums could be louder. not sure what your mixing process is but maybe try to differentiate the leads and rhythm guitars... (boost pedal or separate track or whatever). pretty ****ing brutal though

C4C - https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1662175

Thanks man!

Yeah we just put an overhead over the drums and two kick mics for each kick. That's literally it haha. Then the guitars are on a ux2 using gearbox. they are panned 50% left to right but i did'nt put any eq on any of the tracks or do anything really other than pan the guitars it was suppose to be just for practicing while we're working in a real studio (i don't really know how to make things sound good ) but i could'nt help myself i wanted to know what people thought.

I will check your stuff out in a second now.
-Peavey 6505+
-Jackson DR7, EMGs
-LTD MH417
-Peavey Vyper 75w
honestly i thought the leads stood out well in the mix

i'd say work on mixing your kicks and rhythm guitars. i could barely hear the kicks at all and i was listening to your track on studio monitors. as far as the rhythm guitars, i understand that the scooped out tone does work well for the genre. i like it, but they need to come out a bit more.

the vox were a bit dry sounding as well, but once again, i think stylistically it works. i would still add a little bit of reverb, just a little. like turn it up to where you can hear it clearly, get a sound you like (i typically make it 100% wet anyway to do this), then turn it down to where it's only sliiiiiiightly perceptible. you can maybe keep the dry sound w/o it sounding unnatural. reverb is essential for more natural sounds, and if you're in an isolated room for tracking, you will probably need it.

i listen to a lot of raw bands though (and this music is more reminiscent of older, true deathcore more than anything imo), and tbh thinking in this perspective i'd just say mix/turn up the rhythm guitars a bit more, and get the kick so we can actually hear it well. if you have your guitars occupying your 150Hz-ish and below, high pass those guitars so they aren't masking the kick. also, your kicks hit/punch also occupies higher frequencies as well, 3khz might be a good place to start. maybe even higher depending on the tones you want from it, or where the kick won't fight with the guitars or vox. your low end is your warmth/fullness, and your high end is your knock. getting these two things to work in unison will make your kicks stand out and have a decent punch.
Last edited by Dregen at Nov 21, 2014,
Quote by Dregen
honestly i thought the leads stood out well in the mix

i'd say work on mixing your kicks and rhythm guitars. i could barely hear the kicks at all and i was listening to your track on studio monitors. as far as the rhythm guitars, i understand that the scooped out tone does work well for the genre. i like it, but they need to come out a bit more.

the vox were a bit dry sounding as well, but once again, i think stylistically it works. i would still add a little bit of reverb, just a little. like turn it up to where you can hear it clearly, get a sound you like (i typically make it 100% wet anyway to do this), then turn it down to where it's only sliiiiiiightly perceptible. you can maybe keep the dry sound w/o it sounding unnatural. reverb is essential for more natural sounds, and if you're in an isolated room for tracking, you will probably need it.

i listen to a lot of raw bands though (and this music is more reminiscent of older, true deathcore more than anything imo), and tbh thinking in this perspective i'd just say mix/turn up the rhythm guitars a bit more, and get the kick so we can actually hear it well. if you have your guitars occupying your 150Hz-ish and below, high pass those guitars so they aren't masking the kick. also, your kicks hit/punch also occupies higher frequencies as well, 3khz might be a good place to start. maybe even higher depending on the tones you want from it, or where the kick won't fight with the guitars or vox. your low end is your warmth/fullness, and your high end is your knock. getting these two things to work in unison will make your kicks stand out and have a decent punch.

thanks for the input man, I know im not a good mixer haha, like i said this recording was'nt intended for people to hear. But the mixing tips are great and ill definately refer back to them as i work on my stuff more. At the moment we're working in a real studio so my guy there will be handling all the mixing and such all we gotta do is play I will however be playing around with these recordings for practice (don't be suprised if you see another thread by me with some updated stuff haha) maybe one day i won't need a studio. \m/
-Peavey 6505+
-Jackson DR7, EMGs
-LTD MH417
-Peavey Vyper 75w
I love how brutal the vocal are, loving them, though I would add a BIT of reverb, not much, it'll help them not be so dry sounding. I would agree with the others about the rhythm guitars and the drums needing a bit of working in the mix. This is by far one of the best places to pick up on some mastering tips, I've come pretty far from the help of the guys here. All in all I really like this track, dude. I cant wait to hear the stuff from the studio! Keep us posted!

C4C?

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1662311
Quote by mangablade
If star wars had a Heavy Metal band (no not "Vader" lol), then you would be it. You sound like a anrgy mother****ing Yoda.

I sound like an angry Yoda...is that a good thing...or a bad thing? lol
Quote by Bleak
I love how brutal the vocal are, loving them, though I would add a BIT of reverb, not much, it'll help them not be so dry sounding. I would agree with the others about the rhythm guitars and the drums needing a bit of working in the mix. This is by far one of the best places to pick up on some mastering tips, I've come pretty far from the help of the guys here. All in all I really like this track, dude. I cant wait to hear the stuff from the studio! Keep us posted!

C4C?

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1662311

Hell yeah my man! I'm feeling the love! I can't wait to hear the stuff from the studio ethier! Haha. I do need to work on my mixing and mastering and placements eq adding effects and everything it's just all trial and error i feel Oh well it's improving from my older stuff haha.

You should like our facebook page thats the first place we'll be putting the studio material if you so choose! and we like to post alot of funny shit so you might even get a few laughs out of it!

I will go check your stuff right now and tell you what i think!

\m/
-Peavey 6505+
-Jackson DR7, EMGs
-LTD MH417
-Peavey Vyper 75w
The drums definitely should be louder but I think the song sounds amazing considering it's just for practice. If this is how your practice recording sounds I can't wait to listen to the finished version! I agree that the vocals sound brutal but the rhythm guitar could sound a lot bigger. I also need to work on my mixing and mastering skills so I can't give you much advice, but I can tell you are in the right path!

I think it would be very fun for me to do a guest solo in one of your tracks if someday you want to

Keep it up!
Last edited by SR7s at Nov 25, 2014,
Quote by SR7s
The drums definitely should be louder but I think the song sounds amazing considering it's just for practice. If this is how your practice recording sounds I can't wait to listen to the finished version! I agree that the vocals sound brutal but the rhythm guitar could sound a lot bigger. I also need to work on my mixing and mastering skills so I can't give you much advice, but I can tell you are in the right path!

I think it would be very fun for me to do a guest solo in one of your tracks if someday you want to

Keep it up!

Thanks man! The first place we'll be posting the stuff coming out of the studio is on the facebook so drop a like! And as far as a guest shred goes im totally cool with that! Im actually doing the same thing, putting a guest solo in a song, with a dude that commented on this post as well! haha PM me and we can figure something out atm most of my stuff is locked down, but i got some new things im working on that might be a good fit!

Cheers!
-Peavey 6505+
-Jackson DR7, EMGs
-LTD MH417
-Peavey Vyper 75w