i wrote this jazz/classical style thing about a year back. couldn't do anything with the score since i can't play piano at all, but i've recently finished programming the entire thing, bar a drum bit and jazz club sounds (people talking, drinks, etc.) at the end, i'm working on that atm.

edit: replaced the preamp with a compressor, loud parts sound much better now. less muddy.

tried to add as much realism as i could, especially with consideration to dynamics. there are no pedal sounds though, which is also a work in progress.

i have other criticisms but i'll keep them quiet for now- i want to see what others say/don't say about it.

link: https://soundcloud.com/dmnwrn/datura-v2-clean-processing

thanks in advance.
Last edited by Dregen at Nov 21, 2014,
noice. kinda got a debussy meets lounge vibe from it. piano sounds real - the only thing that would detract from the realism would be how clean the playing is :P

really tasteful and cool sounds - i would question a few of the notes, like where was a correct place to modulate in the phrase (particularly the first phrase and the last phrase) - or to try and modulate in a way that eases the transition between keys - like trying to find more of the common notes in each scale - a few of the notes in the initial arpeggios stick out a bit to me. unless of course you meant it to be jarring, in which case, i withdraw my comment :P (or suggest that you maybe try and exaggerate that aspect of the phrase - don't go half-way - go big or go home!)

very interesting to listen to :P great textures and dynamics. thanks for sharing.

C4C - https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1662175
by the way, i stole this riff.
yeah, the phrase you're talking about happens to end on a weird tritone. i didn't mean for it to be jarring, just to add a hint of unease. i like it though, idk.

also i might be using the term modulation incorrectly, sorry. it doesn't really change keys, but there's some accidentals and chord substitution type things in there.

i'll get that crit soon. thanks for the response.
Last edited by Dregen at Nov 21, 2014,
yeah, no, the tritone or whatever (like double-diminished right? or flat 3 flat 5 or something? it's been a while, plus i think i was super stoned for that lecture) sounded fine. it was more that the lead-up to it was too major(?) sounding, leading to an awkward chord change. on second listen it sounds fine though, i must have been over-thinking or something.
by the way, i stole this riff.
Quote by jrizzo
yeah, no, the tritone or whatever (like double-diminished right? or flat 3 flat 5 or something? it's been a while, plus i think i was super stoned for that lecture) sounded fine. it was more that the lead-up to it was too major(?) sounding, leading to an awkward chord change. on second listen it sounds fine though, i must have been over-thinking or something.

a tritone consists of two diminished fifths stacked on one another, yeah.

i dunno much about music theory, really basic stuff. i just fiddle around with different notes in different modes/parallel keys/whatever.
Very realistic sounding. This might sound weird and it isn't meant to be bad, but, this takes me back to my childhood watching one of the only two episodes I'd ever seen as child of Sesame Street with all those weird visuals on the screen. Really love the composition and I would love to see what comes of trying to emulate the pedal sounds. You really captured the heart that goes into actually playing the piano, great stuff, m'friend!

C4C?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1662311
Quote by mangablade
If star wars had a Heavy Metal band (no not "Vader" lol), then you would be it. You sound like a anrgy mother****ing Yoda.

I sound like an angry Yoda...is that a good thing...or a bad thing? lol