Hi all,

I've decided to make the jump to an 8 string and hope to invest in one soon. I've done a lot of research and one I particularly like is the Ibanez S8QM. But I'd like to get some new options too. If anyone could recommend me a guitar I'd be really thankful. Here are the specs I'd ideally want, If any guitar filled all of these then I'd buy it no question:

8 String (Obviously)
Locking Tuners (Preferred)
Neck through (Or closest thing, just not bolt on)
27" Scale (Ideally)
Good stock pickups
Decent build quality and look
Durable
Smooth, Charvel like neck (I own a charvel and adore the neck through on it)

Thanks again!
What's you budget?
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Ah yeah, sorry I didn't mention that. I'd want it at around £500 (About $800) and I'm severely stretching it to go to around £600 (About $900) but if it's worth it I could stretch.

Playing styles will mostly be Progressive metal, technical metal and Ambience/Cleans and probably some animals as leaders stuff.
If you don't mind buying used you may be able to get a Carvin DC800 for that price, or an RG2228, both of which would be definitely worth stretching your budget imo.

The Ibanez S series are solid guitars, and hella comfortable with the new Gibraltar II bridge with the low shoulders. Only issue you may have with Ibanez is the Wizard style neck. It's a flatter D shape different from your Charvel. I have also heard good things about the Schecter Hellraiser C8, which that neck shape may be more to your liking.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Thanks for the recommendations TheStig, Ill check them out. Carvin looks nice but it might be a rare find to be used.
Anyone else?
Quote by Rowan_Hogg
Carvin looks nice but it might be a rare find to be used.

Sevenstring.org's classified section is your friend in this case.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
I do quite like those Agiles but I'm the UK and shipping would be really expensive.
Quote by Rowan_Hogg
I do quite like those Agiles but I'm the UK and shipping would be really expensive.

It might, however, be worth it.
Kurt (the owner) has been spending a lot of time on sevenstring.org and similar sites, and has really put some time into getting the ERG (extended range guitar) thing right.

Guitars that used to be available only via custom order are now commodity items, and stunningly good ones at that.

Gibson can't really get a 7-string right, Fender ignores them, for the most part, and Carvin just recently came on board with an 8.

Rondo, on the other hand, has 7, 8, 9, 10-string guitars (some with trems!) in a fairly wide selection of scales (up to 30"). That's unparalleled.

Perhaps even more mind-boggling is that even though Agile is a tiny importer, he's really pioneered getting multi-scale (fan-fret) guitars out of the cork-sniffy custom builder hands and into the under a grand price levels that more guitarists can afford. I was stunned at how easy these are to play; your hand naturally follows those angles and it may actually be *easier* to play than a standard guitar.

The not-so-good news for people outside the US includes shipping costs (which would include return costs if there's an issue), customs duties (if any). But my experience with Agile LPs suggests that in the ERG price ranges, they're as well (and perhaps better) built as anything out there, and the folks at sevenstring.org are gobbling (obligatory Thanksgiving holiday reference) them up.

Shipping and distance noted, it might STILL be worthwhile to get one if it fulfills all your checkboxes while another brand is just a compromise.