Line Out connection on back of amp: Speaker or Power Amp In? Or other?

Sometimes an amp will have a separate "Line Out" on the back of the amp, but from what I have seen it doesn't seem like it's always used for the same purpose.... Is this usually for speakers or the equivalent to the Power Amp In as seen with the Preamp Out/Power Amp In". Or is this usually a completely separate output?

The EBS HD360 describes the line out as "a fullrange output that will
drive multiple poweramps, extending the power
of the system. The signal present at this output is
taken after the volume control."

The Roland Cube Street EX has the description "Stereo Line Out jacks for connecting to an external sound system when used as a stage monitor"

It seems like the term Line Out might mean multiple things... Not sure...

Any thoughts?
No line out means the preamp signal (not the power section) is fed out of that jack at a line level signal. Both are saying that in different ways and it can be confusing if you don't really know about or use those jacks on your amp.

You could connect both to a mixer or powered speaker/wedge . But neither can power a separate speaker/cab on its own.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
No line out means the preamp signal (not the power section) is fed out of that jack at a line level signal. Both are saying that in different ways and it can be confusing if you don't really know about or use those jacks on your amp.

You could connect both to a mixer or powered speaker/wedge . But neither can power a separate speaker/cab on its own.

What about the ampeg svt-7pro

The specs say "• Transformer balanced line out", but the back of the amp and the manual says Tube Direct Output.

I was under the impression that Line Out and Direct Out were two separate connections. Which type of connection is this that ampeg is referring to?
Well your right, a line out and a direct out can be different. typically a Line out runs directly after the preamp signal. A direct out will a lot of times have a speaker cab simulation on the signal so you can run it directly through a mixer. But they are basically the same thing, there is no power other than a line level signal going through it.

On older amps the direct/line out was also called the slave out which meant this signal was to be fed through a separate power amp
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Nov 25, 2014,
Quote by Robbgnarly
Well your right, a line out and a direct out can be different. typically a Line out runs directly after the preamp signal. A direct out will a lot of times have a speaker cab simulation on the signal so you can run it directly through a mixer. But they are basically the same thing, there is no power other than a line level signal going through it.

On older amps the direct/line out was also called the slave out which meant this signal was to be fed through a separate power amp

Thanks. I think I understand now.

I found this other forum describing the details about line out vs. direct out and it looks like it's saying basically line out will be 1/4" and direct out will be xlr. Is this pretty accurate? If this is the case, could it be safe to say that the above ampeg amp has direct out and not line out?
Last edited by bachfantasia at Nov 25, 2014,
Quote by bachfantasia
Thanks. I think I understand now.

I found this other forum describing the details about line out vs. direct out and it looks like it's saying basically line out will be 1/4" and direct out will be xlr. Is this pretty accurate? If this is the case, could it be safe to say that the above ampeg amp has direct out and not line out?

Furthermore, I am a little more confused now, as I found this acoustic amp which is described in the manual as The Stereo Line Out section is extremely versatile
and includes a balanced XLR output jack and an
unbalanced 1/4” jack for each of the internal power
amplifiers, both of which may be used simultaneously.

Thus, it looks like a Line Out could be 1/4" or XLR...

Is this correct? If so, is the vice versa true? Can Direct Out be 1/4" or XLR?

Thanks
yes a line out or direct out can be either 1/4" jack or XLR. Older amps tend to use 1/4" jacks and the newer amps seem to use XLR for the direct out more often.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Standard (non-TRS) 1/4" outputs are generally not balanced, while the XLRs usually are. Balanced lines reduce noise that can be induced between your preamp and the input of the mixer, power amp or powered speaker.
hmmmmmmmmmmmmm ok. that sounds about right.

now what about these link in and link out jacks im seeing like on this bass head . Are these like power amp in preamp out, or is this something completely different?