Hi guys, I'm new to this forum and want to start off by saying hello. Right now I'm trying to decide on a guitar to buy for myself. Maybe these two guitars have been compared before, but I have a more detailed comparison between what I like and dislike about the two. I'm having a tough time deciding which one I think I would like better if I bought it. I would go and play both to get an idea, but none of the music stores near me has the '84 Explorer Reissue.

I've found the Snakebyte used and in good condition for $700. The Epi is $599.

Epiphone likes
-The shape
-The look of the plastic covered EMGs
-That it's not a signature guitar

Epiphone dislikes
-Rosewood fretboard
-I would prefer an EMG 60 in the neck for nicer cleans (I can always replace this in the future)

Snakebyte likes
-Paint matched headstock
-Ebony fretboard
-Likely higher QC due to higher retail price, also probably plays better
-EMG JH set most likely sounds better than 81/85 combo

Snakebyte dislikes
-Not really a dislike I guess, but I'm somewhat indifferent on the shape. Some days I look at images of it and I like it. Other days it's cool, but not raw like the original Explorer
-I would be playing James Hetfield's guitar, not my own. I know that a lot of people frown upon signature model guitars. I, however, have a Dean from Hell that I bought because it feels dang near perfect in my hands.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these? Also, I noticed the position of the front strap button is different on these two guitars. The Epi has it in the traditional shoulder spot while the Snakebyte is on the neck heel. Has anyone had any gripes about how either guitar hangs?
How is this a good comparison?

THe LTD is clearly the better guitar. Not that the Epiphone is a bad guitar though.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
How is this a good comparison?

THe LTD is clearly the better guitar. Not that the Epiphone is a bad guitar though.

I never really claimed it to be "good". It's just the two that I've been going back and forth on for the past couple weeks.
Well if you never considered it a 'good' comparison, why make a thread about it?
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Well if you never considered it a 'good' comparison, why make a thread about it?

I'm just saying I never made the claim it was good as if I'm something special and come up with better comparisons than other people.

The fact is both guitars are in my price range and I'm curious if people have played either one. You don't gotta be so rough on the new guy lol
The fact remains that you wouldn't have made a thread on the two guitars if you thought the two were not directly comparable. They're not. It's a $500 guitar against a guitar that's over double that amount new. If you don't care about the Snakebyte being used, it's a no-brainer.

And I have played both guitars fwiw.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Nov 21, 2014,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
The fact remains that you wouldn't have made a thread on the two guitars if you thought the two were not directly comparable. They're not. It's a $500 guitar against a guitar that's over double that amount new. If you don't care about the Snakebyte being used, it's a no-brainer.

And I have played both guitars fwiw.

I've played my share of bad eggs when it comes to guitars. $1100 Schecters that were worse than my $750 BC Rich. THAT is why I ask. If it were a no-brainer I would have bought the Snakebyte already, and not risked being criticized on a forum.
And how is anyone here going to know that the specific example of Snakebyte you're thinking of buying is not going to have any issues whatsoever? The answer is that nobody does, and you cannot expect us to know. That's a risk I'm assuming you've already accepted, otherwise buying used wouldn't even be on the cards.

At any rate, the Snakebyte is a better guitar on face value.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
And how is anyone here going to know that the specific example of Snakebyte you're thinking of buying is not going to have any issues whatsoever? The answer is that nobody does, and you cannot expect us to know. That's a risk I'm assuming you've already accepted, otherwise buying used wouldn't even be on the cards.

At any rate, the Snakebyte is a better guitar on face value.

Maybe I should go to another forum where people are going to help, tell me what they liked or did not like about them and why... rather than just say that one is better and give no reasoning.
Last edited by Explorer91 at Nov 21, 2014,
That's fine by us.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

wow dude why would you waste your time being a jerk rather than just not reply? what's the point? he can't make up his mind and just wants some opinions. nothing wrong with that

now in resposne to the OP i have only played the ltd but the neck was real nice. it's not as heavy as a guitar as you would expect it to be when you see the size of it, which is a plus if you're going to gig with it. thoguh i never had any bad experiences with any epiphones. i do think that that the ltd is probably the better guitar just because of the hardware and the fact that esp/ltd's are usually pretty decent
Quote by paruwi
Do YOU own this place ?

Duh.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Quote by calicojack456
wow dude why would you waste your time being a jerk rather than just not reply? what's the point? he can't make up his mind and just wants some opinions. nothing wrong with that

now in resposne to the OP i have only played the ltd but the neck was real nice. it's not as heavy as a guitar as you would expect it to be when you see the size of it, which is a plus if you're going to gig with it. thoguh i never had any bad experiences with any epiphones. i do think that that the ltd is probably the better guitar just because of the hardware and the fact that esp/ltd's are usually pretty decent

That's interesting. I've heard that really there is no difference in the hardware on the MIK one from the MIJ ESP other than the tuning keys not being Sperzel and the 9v battery compartment doesn't flip like an ashtray.
more expensive doesn't always translate to "better". the epiphone is a pretty decent guitar and a fair bargain for the money. haven't played the LTD but as mentioned they make some nice guitars that are for the most part a good deal for the money as well. now if you truly prefer ebony over rosewood then go for the LTD. if not a deal breaker then I'd think about finding the epi used and you could put better pups in it. I don't really see a lose either way, both are solid choices
Quote by monwobobbo
more expensive doesn't always translate to "better". the epiphone is a pretty decent guitar and a fair bargain for the money. haven't played the LTD but as mentioned they make some nice guitars that are for the most part a good deal for the money as well. now if you truly prefer ebony over rosewood then go for the LTD. if not a deal breaker then I'd think about finding the epi used and you could put better pups in it. I don't really see a lose either way, both are solid choices

That's the problem I've come across. I can't find the Epi anywhere cheap enough used to be worth buying it over a new one. There are scratch and dent ones that are pretty banged up but I don't want a guitar that's been thrown across a room just to save a couple hundred bucks lol
If this is a "what would you do?" type thread, I'd go the EX and trick it up slightly with the savings. Dye the board black, swap out the neck pup if you want. Relocate the strap button if you're not happy with it.

The Epi is cooler in every way.
Charvel DX-1 FR / DS-1 ST / DC-1 FR / Custom Strat / La Patrie Hybrid CW / Vypyr 30 / VK100 / 1960A
I personally like the look and fact that the epi is not a signature model, but the fact is the LTD is the better guitar, on paper that is. I personally havent played a ESP/LTD over $500 that I didnt like. If you really like the epi you could upgrade the hardware as Danustar suggested, but the fine details such as fretwork, measurements, general build quality, etc will likely (key word) be better on the LTD as they have pretty good QC. However some $200 guitars play better or as well as $3000 guitars so it all really depends on each individual guitar. For that reason it is very important to buy from a company with a good return policy, it is ALWAYS better to be safe than sorry, been there done that... Good luck!
Quote by Danustar
If this is a "what would you do?" type thread, I'd go the EX and trick it up slightly with the savings. Dye the board black, swap out the neck pup if you want. Relocate the strap button if you're not happy with it.

The Epi is cooler in every way.

Dying the fingerboard was definitely something I had in mind.

I guess as far as the whole "signature guitar is a downside" thing it doesn't bother me as much because it's James Hetfield and I love everything about the riffs he writes. The Epi is obviously more or less a Hetfield sig just without his endorsement. Just like the Gibson counterpart that was being sold a few years ago.
Glad this thread took a turn for the better. I say play the used,ltd, if you like it then but it, that's the point!

But if you don't like it or feel its not up to par buy the epic and keep some caah so you can change the neck pup as others mentioned. Price is relative, its all about playability. I love my custom but I really like to play my schecter blackjack (satin snecks so nice)
Guitars-LEFTY
Bernie Rico Jr. Custom Jekyll
Schecter ATX
Schecter Tempest Cust.
Ibanez GIO
Amps
Laney VH100R-Sell/Trade?? pm me
Cube 15
Misc.
THD HOT plate Attentuator and other stuff
Quote by Krzy8
Glad this thread took a turn for the better. I say play the used,ltd, if you like it then but it, that's the point!

But if you don't like it or feel its not up to par buy the epic and keep some caah so you can change the neck pup as others mentioned. Price is relative, its all about playability. I love my custom but I really like to play my schecter blackjack (satin snecks so nice)

Yeah the used LTD is about 2.5 hours away from me but I figure I'll stop by on my way out of town to check it out.

I have 7 guitars and I too often find myself playing some of my less valuable ones because they just have better playability imo. That's why a decision like this is so difficult for me lol
Whoa, what happened here?

I was pretty drunk last night.

My bad.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R