Page 1 of 6
Title.

In other words, when do you think a person needs to put the controller down? It can be when they're playing a certain type of video game, when they're playing a certain amount of time, or when it's affecting some part of their life. Or maybe there isn't a point, and just let people do what makes 'em happy.

In my opinion, I think (and this can apply to plenty more than just vidya games) when playing them isn't just for the purpose of fun, but also escapism.

Come to think of it, I just remembered this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pXWiG2B4zk

Sheeeeiit.
when it stops being fun which is really common
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
I say the second you're playing games as escapism rather than because you're bored or just want some entertainment. It's no different than sitting watching TV all day, or listening to music, so the same rule applies to those things too.

Once it becomes a way to escape your issues, or if you're cancelling shit just to play games.. Well that's addiction.

Quote by Bob_Sacamano
when it stops being fun which is really common

I agree. The second I get frustrated, or upset, or short-tempered while playing a video game I stop right away. Then you have these goons out there who punch holes in their walls and break controllers. Wtf.
Quote by MetalGS3SE
This is the best idea I have ever heard. Ever.

Naedauuf for president people.

When you are getting genuinely upset over them.

I make an exception for things like the competitive DOTA folks and whatnot, because hey, I don't get the appeal, but they're getting paid to compete, so losing means less money, so it's justifiable. I also make an exception for people under a certain age because few little kids can grasp just how little losing a game actually will impact them, and people like youtube Let's Play folks who have to react in a more animated and more extreme fashion for entertainment value.

Beyond that though, they're games. They're made for enjoyment. All you do when you get frustrated is degrade your experience. Step back, take a deep breath, and relax. Especially in multiplayer stuff, because usually there's not even any story in the multiplayer section of a game.

Also when they're causing problems in other portions of your life(Missing classes or showing up late to work because you were up until 5 AM beating Arkham Origins).
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-84
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-1
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 32-15
eh anything that someone obsesses over should give it a rest. You're using games cos of the 'waste of time' prejudice. I don't even play games lol

Edit: didn't read the part where you said it could be more than games
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
Last edited by steve_muse at Nov 21, 2014,
also the absolute worst is people stopping seeing their gf/bf or whatever because they're too into a game. it's a stereotype but i actually hear it pretty often and it's unbelievably pathetic
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
^one of my mates would skip classes to go home and play COD

#EducationFirst
Quote by ErikLensherr

When it starts to overshadow the other aspects of your life.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
also the absolute worst is people stopping seeing their gf/bf or whatever because they're too into a game. it's a stereotype but i actually hear it pretty often and it's unbelievably pathetic

See i bypass this by just never having a bf/gf in the first place
^what about your waifu tho?
Quote by ErikLensherr

I think gaming can be taken in excess just like anything else. It can also be addicting like most anything else.

I think some people have genuine struggles with both of those.

I play games a lot, mostly online, because the satisfaction of completing something is relevant to me. I'd liken that satisfaction to the completion of anything experienced by someone who has a hobby. It's also competitive and I'm competitive so there's that, as well.

I think I'm one of the few people who considers online interaction to be just as "real" as in-person interaction. I mean, if that wasn't the case, everyone in the Pit would have serious problems (lol).
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
You think that video's cringey now, just wait for VR tech to advance and 4K graphics.

That kid really could go on virtual vacations.

That said I'm pretty sure the narrator in the video of OP has never been near a vagina.
Last edited by stratkat at Nov 21, 2014,
^but he doesn't need to, he fuks princess Mario 24/7
Quote by ErikLensherr

Quote by steve_muse
^but he doesn't need to, he fuks princess Mario 24/7

Princess mario is hawt, but no amount of AI will ever truly replace physical human interaction.
When it starts affecting your ability to carry out your every day life.

Gaming just a hobby, like music, or TV, or films. Thus is should be held to the standard as those things.

I don't really see the harm in having an 8 hour games bender one weekend when you can still manage to eat normally, get your exercise and whatever.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
I couldn't make it past a minute into that video,

j

f

c
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
To the people saying games shouldn't be used as a form of escapism: on what basis do you ground that? Everything enjoyable is a form of escapism. I played games because they're both fun at times and to get away and try to relieve the stress and anxiety of everyday life

That said, I don't play much of anything anymore tho
ayy lmao
Quote by chookiecookie
To the people saying games shouldn't be used as a form of escapism: on what basis do you ground that?

it isn't their preferred form of escapism

that's the basis
i don't know why i feel so dry
At what point do you consider watching TV sad?

At what point do you consider playing guitar sad?

etc
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by Trowzaa
At what point do you consider watching TV sad?

At what point do you consider playing guitar sad?

etc

The real answer is when you need rehab, and/or sell all your things and steal to pay for your habit.
i'll go with "when it stops being fun." i.e. when you've become really bored of it but you still keep playing because you really can't find (or don't feel like finding) anything else marginally better to do.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
I think playing video games is kinda sad when it becomes a negative way to define your existence, such as quitting your job so you can play more WoW. On the other hand there are gamers, who actually do some good for charities and the such as professionals, which I can say I think is pretty cool. In all fairness I don't think its what you do, but moreover how you do it.
I haven't seen a video with a like/dislike ratio that bad since a long time ago.
Not sure if a sig is a necessity.
I think it starts becoming sad when it becomes the thing you look forward to the most during the day. Like, "I can't wait to be done with school so I can just play video games all night." or, "I hope my family doesn't come over so I can play more video games."
Agree with escapism, also I think championships are pretty sad imo. Like dota and LOL or whatever where there are like 500k + cash prizes. I mean **** who in their right mind pays people that amount of money for being good at a video game??
Sail upon the open skies
When does reading become sad? Watching films? When does social interaction become sad? When do things people enjoy doing become sad? Maybe we should all just do nothing instead. Except doing nothing is doing something, and doing things is sad.
Quote by angusfan16
Agree with escapism, also I think championships are pretty sad imo. Like dota and LOL or whatever where there are like 500k + cash prizes. I mean **** who in their right mind pays people that amount of money for being good at a video game??

The people who enjoy watching them generally.

Who pays people tens of millions of dollars a year to run with a handegg?

Quote by Trowzaa

Still weird those events fill seats in arenas.

I mean, you're watching people play a game on a screen, when you could be at home, watching it on a screen.
Quote by Trowzaa

My opinion about video game tournaments are the same for all sports. But id have to say that the people who play sports at least posses a skill more impressive and admirable than that of someone sitting behind a screen. Opinions tho
Sail upon the open skies
You could stay at home and watch normal sports on TV, it'd be a better view too. Atmosphere etc.

Quote by MeGaDeth2314
I think it starts becoming sad when it becomes the thing you look forward to the most during the day. Like, "I can't wait to be done with school so I can just play video games all night." or, "I hope my family doesn't come over so I can play more video games."

You just described every teenage boy of our generation
Quote by ErikLensherr

Quote by Trowzaa
You could stay at home and watch normal sports on TV, it'd be a better view too. Atmosphere etc.

It'd definitely be a worse view, and the atmosphere would be virgin swamp.
Quote by stratkat
Still weird those events fill seats in arenas.

I mean, you're watching people play a game on a screen, when you could be at home, watching it on a screen.

Why is it weird? Most people listen to music exclusively in the same way people watch video games championships and yet, the former feel compelled to go to live shows.
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ