I'm in the market for a new power amp to run my POD HD Pro live. I've never really shopped for power amps before. The one I use now kinda just fell in my lap (Gemsound; was given to me). But, it is on it's last leg. I've been wanting to replace it for a while now, but have been pretty broke.

What is good out there? I'm looking around at some Crowns, mainly. But, like I said, I've never really shopped for a power amp to run a guitar effects processor before.
Consider a powered speaker instead. 1000 watts biamped and sounds great for $349

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-ELE-ZLX112P-LIST
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
EV bins are good shit too.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Hey, someone beat me to it! Dang!

I'm actually using three Carvin power amps; a DCM1540L (about 1500W), an HD1500 (about 1400W) and a TS-100 (50W/50W stereo tube power amp that can be bridged for 100W mono). And I've got a bass head from them that puts out about 1500W. So far (knock on wood) excellent performance from all.

The TS100 is currently in the $550 range and weighs about 25 lbs. Retubing it runs about $120, give or take $20. It's a great power amp with very little distortion right up to its rated power. I've used it with Pods since the early Pod XTs.

Several years ago I built a pair of stereo 2x12s (with a pair of piezo tweeters in each one). The speakers were Eminence Delta ProA's, which were capable of handling up to 400W each. At the time, I bought the DCM1540L to go with it. I was actually after better bass response, so the cabinets were tuned down to 52Hz and built specifically for the Deltas. Between the magnets on the speakers, the heavy plywood and the Line-X coating (instead of wimply tolex), these were *heavy* cabinets. The combination was extremely successful until I was "volun-told" to play bass on an upcoming project.

At that point I built a pair of fEARful 15/6/1 full-range cabinets (an easy project, BTW) that handled up to 900W each and reproduced a 5-string bass' range without farting out. About the same time, I added the HD1500 power amp. The fEARfuls weigh about 50 lbs each (compared to the 75-100 lbs of some 4x12s), and the power amp weighs just 9 lbs. As it turns out, the rig is outstanding for bass, keyboards *and* modeled guitar. A Carvin HD1500 runs about $299. Most times a single cabinet is plenty. The HD1500 can run on a single stereo channel and put out 210W at 8 ohms, or it can be bridged/mono and put out 1400W at 4 ohms. Pretty versatile. So while it SOUNDS like a lot of power, I've never blown a speaker, even when running a basic 1x12 speaker rated at 60W. You just use your head.

Tube power doesn't really do much for you in terms of "warming up" a modeler. I've got three Atomic Reactor powered speakers with tube power amps built in, specifically designed to house the small bean-type modelers. They make sense for all kinds of things, but "warming" isn't one of them. What has made a substantial difference in that direction, however, is a Two Notes Torpedo C.A.B. It's a pedal (though there are more sophisticated and more expensive rack versions available) that offers some really good cabinet IRs (the Pod's slightly weak spot, IMHO). This combination moves a long distance toward the higher end modelers like the Axe and the Kemper. But the C.A.B. also has tube power amp modeling. It can model EL34, EL84, KT88, 6L6, etc. power amp characteristics. To my way of thinking, if you're considering spending the money on a tube power amp, buy this instead, and mate it to a solid state power amp or powered speaker or to the PA mixer or to your recording console.