Hi everyone,

I know some very very basic music theory (I can read music very slowly, I know the basic chords, etc.) but I'd like to learn more about intervals, chord structure and how to construct chords, relative pitch, etc., etc. in order to write songs in a more efficient way. I have bad ADD that hinders me from learning this via online videos or free websites though. I benefit from structure in the context of a course. I'm willing to pay up to $300 on a good online introductory music theory course (that teaches at introductory college level, or high school AP level).

The course would have be timed and graded obviously.

any recommendations?
musictheory.net is a great place to start...although it's free but structured.

Just curious, is $300 really worth more than learning self discipline?
"The mind is everything. What you think, you become."
sorry, but ADD is more than lack of self discipline. i am unable to focus unless i am anxious to the point of panic, and that anxiety only comes when i'm pressed for time. i should actually be on medication but the medication gives me bad side effects including depression so i'm already struggling very hard to manage my life. please don't make assumptions or reduce psychological disorders down to not "learning self discipline."

thanks for the rec though. i will check that website out.
Last edited by sea-way at Nov 22, 2014,
Quote by sea-way
Hi everyone,

I know some very very basic music theory (I can read music very slowly, I know the basic chords, etc.) but I'd like to learn more about intervals, chord structure and how to construct chords, relative pitch, etc., etc. in order to write songs in a more efficient way. I have bad ADD that hinders me from learning this via online videos or free websites though. I benefit from structure in the context of a course. I'm willing to pay up to $300 on a good online introductory music theory course (that teaches at introductory college level, or high school AP level).

The course would have be timed and graded obviously.

any recommendations?

Hi ... you don't need to read music to understand the list of things you mentioned, nor should you have to pay that much money to learn these.

Is the structure you're looking for something that explains what you're going to be learning about (like a roadmap) and why, to get you to your desired goals?

As for intervals, (one of the essentials of all music) you may find the following lesson I wrote for UG useful. Since these crop up everywhere (chords, scales, melodies, counterpoint, establishing a tonal centre) and since they require very little effort to learn, they will help speed up and reinforce your learning.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/the_basics/drastically_reduce_learning_time_with_intervals_part_2.html

cheers, Jerry