The only one I can think of off the top of my head is scar tissue, and that's only used for the solos.
Quote by esat936
The only one I can think of off the top of my head is scar tissue, and that's only used for the solos.
I can't picture that standard tuning is all that terribly useful for too much beyond the melody, (solo if you prefer).

When you consider a triad, (major or minor), can have a maximum of 3 strings in use, and many f them only 2, with a fixed straight across barre. (Depending on which strings you're trying to use). (4 strings possibly with a root 6 minor chord. Em would equal, 0, X, X, 0, 0, 0).

I don't really play slide, partly because I don't use alternate tunings.

If I were going to start trying slide, I'd tune to a chord, and then try and wrap my head around where the scales fell into place.
Free Bird

Quote by Captaincranky
I can't picture that standard tuning is all that terribly useful for too much beyond the melody, (solo if you prefer).

Even the most common open tunings are fairly useless due to the inherent limits of slide playing. Standard tuning at least gives you one voicing of a minor chord, whereas open major tunings (G, A, E, D being the most common), despite giving you all your inversions, don't really give you much of anything.

It's nice if you want to play some simple blues or something, but the minute a minor chord or 7 is needed... I don't know. I think if guitarists are serious about using a slide effectively they would start using extended tunings with smaller intervals so that you could have legitimate harmonic possibilities, like at least a complete set of major and minor inversions and a usable set of thirds and sixths.

Still pretty limited without being able to slant properly, but I suppose Don Helms made a career out of not slanting, so I guess a slide guitar player could in theory do anything that he could do with a similar tuning (C6 probably since the high G# of the E6 tuning would be far too prone to breaking on a 25.5" scale).

Honestly people that want to just play slide should all just start playing lap steel.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.