Here's the signal chain:

Guitar ---- Kemper ---- Steinberg UR22 --- Reaper or Audactiy

First I used TRS: from the two main outs of the Kemper into the two input jacks on the Steinberg. No issues.

Then I tried the same set up but just swapped out the TRS for XLRs. The recordings were crazy loud and distorted. The input indicators (I don't know the proper term, but I'm thinking of those red bars in Audacity that move right and left as the input signal increases and decreases) are "idling" halfway to max, which isn't right.

My Steinberg manual says this of the interface's input jacks:

"For connection to a microphone or digital instrument. This jack can be connected to both
XLR-type and phone-type (balanced/unbalanced) plugs. When connected to an XLR type
plug, this jack automatically switches to microphone input sensitivity, and when
connected to a phone-type plug, it switches to line input sensitivity."

Any ideas what might be going on here? I feel I should be able to use the XLRs with no issue.
Im not too familiar with the kempers controls, but does it have a master volume or global output or something? I sometimes use my zoom g3x through my interface and have to low my global volume from 100 all the way to 35 to get a manageable signal
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

Yeah, I fiddled with the various volume controls -- on the Kemper, interface and DAW and it while it brought the volume down, it still had that distorted sound as if it was overpowering either the interface or my computer. Again, no issues with 1/4".
What is the gain at on the interface?
Make sure the phantom power is off.

The Kemper might have a separate volume control for different outputs also.
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
Quote by Kyleisthename
What is the gain at on the interface?
Make sure the phantom power is off.

The Kemper might have a separate volume control for different outputs also.

Phantom is off, messed around with multiple gain/volume settings on both. Really is weird.
My personal favorites are the softube amp rooms and bx_rockrax, though there also are some free ones that kick some serious ass.
FSL:
Just to close the loop of this thread: I switched to a Focusrite 6i6 and out of the box, problem solved. I've since sold the Kemper but I was advised that the previous interface I was using wasn't capable of handling the juice coming in.