On the Marshall MG 250DFX there is no separate volume knob for the clean channel. There is just gain. There is gain and volume for the overdrive channel and a master volume knob for the whole amp.

This is fine if I want to play without headphones. I can just turn up the clean channel using the master volume knob. But if I want to play with headphones and not disturb my neighbors, turning up the master volume knob doesn't let you hear the amp just in your headphones if you have them plugged in. If you have the headphones plugged in and you turn up the master volume, you will hear the amp both through the amp speakers and the headphones.

How can you turn up the master volume without hearing the amp in the amp speakers?

The speakers are not wired internally. They are plugged in using jacks on the back of the amp. Should I just unplug them every time I want to play using headphones? Won't I run the risk of getting shocked if I do this?

Thanks.
Do not run the amp with the speakers unplugged!!! You could blow the power transformer. The amp sends a load (in ohms) that needs something (the speakers) to recieve it. It's VERY important to ensure that you match the load being sent from the amp, to the load that is able to be received by the speakers. Ex. If your head is set to 8ohms, then the cab must be at least 8ohms.

I owned one of this amps back in the day, and as far I remember, the gain on the clean channel controls the volume. I never did try to use the headphone jack tho.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Last edited by red.guitar at Nov 22, 2014,
It has a gain knob on the clean channel. Gain means volume.

Gain and volume controls are both volume controls, just placed differently. Gain usually controls the input volume (that's also why you get more distortion when you turn it up - it controls the amount of signal that gets into the pre amp). If there's a channel volume, it is placed between the gain and master volume. Master volume is the last volume control. It controls the output volume. Some amps don't have a global master volume, they only have separate channel volumes.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Maybe I shouldn't have told him about the OT
Guitars: